Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fly wheel Rebalance
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
wallys914
I've gotten to the point to install my 350, but the flywheel is an early model and the Motor is newer. I need to find a shop to balance it, the OC is plentyful with people who can lighten flywheels, but non that can rebalance... unless someone knows different..?
burton73
QUOTE(wallys914 @ Oct 13 2009, 10:14 AM) *

I've gotten to the point to install my 350, but the flywheel is an early model and the Motor is newer. I need to find a shop to balance it, the OC is plentyful with people who can lighten flywheels, but non that can rebalance... unless someone knows different..?

I have to have my full engine rebalanced with the flywheel because it is an 86 or newer block. The harmonic balancer in the front needs to be removed to put on a V pulley. Is that stupid of GM or what? Why did they not balance out there cranks out to 0 in the blocks and balance each part that they put on it after that to itself. Now I will need balance the crank and the flywheel as one unit as shown in building small block Chevy for the street.

It says “Tiny amounts of weight (as little as one gram) can make you engine run at les than optimum performance and bigger imbalances can make it tear itself apart.” Rod Simpson told me this on the phone and I said no way. I ck it out and found it to be true.

I have a guy in Northridge that will pull my crank and balance it for $250. I am going to have him do the headwork to open the heads to clear my aluminum heads for the pushrods for the GM hot can kit. He will put it back together and tune this fresh rebuilt engine when I got it with crab not injection because of clearance with the firewall and tune it on his dyno. I will get it back ready to put into my 914 ready to plug and play. Not sure what the end number will be but balancing is $75. Per hour.

My book shows crank and flywheel balancing done at a machine shop so I am not sure what you will find in the OC. What year is your SCB

Bob
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.