Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New Brake pad bedding procedure
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Cupomeat
Ok, did a search to see if there was discussion on this topic and found nothing, so here goes;

What is the proper procedure for bedding in new brake pads?

What I have used, which is from something I read many years ago, but can't find is the following;
1. Install pads and pump pedal to make sure they are seated against the rotor before driving.
2. Drive the car up until around 40 mph and slow the car using the brakes, but do not stop each time.
3. Resume speed of 40mph and repeat slowing allowing the brakes to cool in between and do not let them get too hot at first.
4. continue this for about 10 "slowings" and then drive gingerly for the next 100 miles if possible.

Any opinions on this? Any knowledge of manufacturer recommended process?

The last mintex pads I installed said to follow the car manufacturer recommended process...

As I am an Engineer, I investigated and was told that the reason for this was to keep the initial pad bedding from over heating the new pad surfaces until it bedded into the rotor. To that end, I assume this is really only for stock type pads and probably not for Race/AX pads.
SLITS
Don't stomp on them till they overheat! They also glaze and become useless. A little overkill on the 10 stops and 100 miles. Normal slowing/stopping should bed them in.

Disclaimer: I am old and these are my opinions based on my experience and no one else's.
Cupomeat
Ok, thanks, that is pretty much what I expected.

Just keep the pads from glazing and they will be fine.
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(SLITS @ Oct 14 2009, 12:12 PM) *

Don't stomp on them till they overheat! They also glaze and become useless. A little overkill on the 10 stops and 100 miles. Normal slowing/stopping should bed them in.

Disclaimer: I am old and these are my opinions based on my experience and no one else's.

I'll take old and experienced over young and talented. But maybe that's because I'm old. lol-2.gif (Almost as old as Slits).
Cupomeat
stirthepot.gif
Well, as I've had my 914 for over 22 years and have worked on all kinds of cars, probably having done over 200 brake jobs, does that make me old and experienced, or Young and Talented? Or Old and Talented AND experienced, OR Old and just plain old...?

How old do I need to be to be "old"? Compared to some here, I sure feel old...

LOL

Thanks guys for your help. I just finished up expensive brake job (parts costs) on my 993 and figured I'd ask as the pad info is no help.
Ian Stott
I am also old and have been involved with vehicles since I was 10 years old and I've always broke in my brakes by following the above, have never had brake problems. I also look after my stuff no matter what it is and that probably helps my vehicles to have long lives and work properly. I can't even remember what old mechanic told me how and why you break in your brakes, I just know it is something you should do and if today's stuff doesn't need it well it didn't hurt that I did it and I will still do it, doesn't hurt.

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.