Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help me get this baby back on the road....Please!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
KausticKiss
Noob to the forum, but not to the Porsche world. I have owned an 86 944 for about 14 years now, and have done a lot of my own work, so I am fairly comfortable with getting dirty if I have to. I drive the 944 seldom these days b/c I am one of the many out there that have had some employment issues since the economy tanked. You are probably wondering what that has to do with anything....I'll explain.
I recently inherited my uncle's 74 914 2.0 when he passed away, and there are, shall we say, a few issues. When he bought the car, it was in rough shape. But he had it completely gone through, and pretty much restored top to bottom. It had the typical battery box rust problems, along with a laundry list of other things that needed attention. All of this was dealt with, and the car was sweet. Well, as his health declined, so did his ability to get in and out of the car, and since he couldn't drive it, but also couldn't bear to part with it....the car ended up sitting under a cover until it literally fell apart around the car.
I'm not exactly sure, but I estimate the car has been parked without even being started for at least 2 years. I checked to make sure the fluids looked alright enough to try and start it, hooked up a battery, and gave it a try. It will turn over, but just doesn't want to start.
I just want to hear from those out there that have more knowledge in this particular are than I do. I know I need to check and probably replace the fuel lines from front to back, but do I need to pull and check the tank as well? The car has dual Webers on it, how often do they need to be serviced/rebuilt? Any other advice on the fuel system?
Also, the brakes work, but the calipers are completely rusted over. Is there a good way to try and clean them up, aside from blasting them?
Basically....any advice/tips on things I should do will be greatly appreciated. Oh, and remember earlier when I mentioned the employment issues....well here's where that comes into play. I need to try and deal with this as cheaply as possible for the time being. I know that inexpensive and Porsche don't often collide in the same sentence. But after having my 944, I also know that you don't have to take off to the dealership every time something needs to be done.
So, please help me out here. It breaks my heart to see that car just go to waste, but I can't break the bank in solving the problem. Thanks to anyone who can school me a bit....
dlee6204
welcome.png Its nice to see another 914 in the area. bye1.gif

The fuel lines should be replaced including the rubber lines under the tank which means the tank will need to come out. You can easily inspect the tank while you have it out. The carbs might be gummed up and will probably need to be cleaned too but I'm not a carb guy so hopefully someone else will chime in.
As far as the brakes go, you could just take a wire brush to them. I would also inspect all the flexible brake lines and insure they are good as well as bleed the system with new fluid. New brake pads might also be a good investment.

Let me know if you ever need a hand. I go to school in Charlotte so I'm just a short drive away. Good luck!
jsayre914
welcome.png

i dont know anything about carbs, but i do know they have a different fuel pump than the fi one. is the pump comming on when the key is turned on. do you smell gas in the carbs? if so, check for spark at the plugs.

when i got mine it also would not start. i put new plugs, wires, cap, pertronix, fresh gas, changed the fuel filtre. it actually started up. smile.gif

now i continue to fix everything on the car until i grow old and die biggrin.gif

i really love these cars
SGB
Welcome!

re: cheap- preaching to the chior here, we are the cheap-assiest bunch of high-dollar sports car owners you will ever see (because our high-dollar sports car really is a parts-bin econo car with road handling only available in a mid-engine mass distribution).

It is true the fuel lines can leak, but I don't know if they are more inclined to leak after sitting. I can't really figure that they would be. Fire extinguisher and a safe distance from your 944 may be sufficient. Do you feel lucky? Well, do ya? This here is a 44- oh wait, I'm not Clint Eastwood, but it is your call. I still have original lines in my car- except the ones under the tank, but carbs are a low pressure requirement (4psi), so those lines are not as stressed as a FI setup.

New plugs will probably help alot.

The carbs could need rebuilding, but probably will function enough to start the car if there is fuel and spark. I think rebuilding 'em now might just add more unknowns to the start-up question.

If it ran with carbs before, the fuel pump has been changed or a pressure reducer fitted.
neil30076
You say it has dual webers, so i'll assume ( hopefully) they are IDF's.
If so -
Quick check for fuel is to take off an air filter so you can look down into the carbs. Turn ignition on but do not try to start. Move the accelerator linkage quickly and you should see the accelerator pump in the carb shoot gas into the barrel.
If you see gas, then turn to the ignition, since to run you only need gas and a spark on a carb'd car, not a 'FI brain' like your 944.
Good luck, post back what you find.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.