Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Repacking CVs
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ericread
In taking my transmission to Dr. Evil's clinic, and in later troubleshooting some minor tranny problems, I have detached the tranny from the axels at the CV joint. Each time, I carefully pack the CV joint with grease, check the boots for wear, install the CV joint gaskets and tighten the bolts (ensuring the special washers are on the bolts), and tighten the bolts as appropriate.

What I have not done in the past three years is remove the CV joints at the wheel hub, inspect, repack, check for boot wear, and re-install.

How often should the CV joints at the wheel hub be checked and repacked?

Eric Read driving.gif
r_towle
QUOTE(ericread @ Oct 15 2009, 10:54 AM) *

In taking my transmission to Dr. Evil's clinic, and in later troubleshooting some minor tranny problems, I have detached the tranny from the axels at the CV joint. Each time, I carefully pack the CV joint with grease, check the boots for wear, install the CV joint gaskets and tighten the bolts (ensuring the special washers are on the bolts), and tighten the bolts as appropriate.

What I have not done in the past three years is remove the CV joints at the wheel hub, inspect, repack, check for boot wear, and re-install.

How often should the CV joints at the wheel hub be checked and repacked?

Eric Read driving.gif

I have never done it unless I removed the axle for some reason.
It should stay sealed as long as the boot is in good shape.

Rich
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.