Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SOT: 6 conversion questions...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
RJMII
I've got a handful of parts left from my turbo 6 conversion, and someone local to me has expressed interest in my remaining parts.

We're looking at his options for his Westy and I came across this ad drooley.gif http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=100194

in the classifieds.

Larry appears to be a reputable seller, so now that we've found the 6 for a good deal from a reputable seller; we're wondering what all is involved in putting it in his Westy/VW camper.

His other option is picking up my remaining parts and getting a Raby kit. We really don't need to discuss that here, though. Jake is awesome enough to answer questions on his forums. And I'm heading there next. aktion035.gif
(edit: found a link and am keeping it here for place to take notes http://pagetuner.com/vanagon/ )

So, a six in a Westy, how do we do it?
McMark
Off the top of my head:

1. Engine mounting/stability.
2. Exhaust (stock 911 stuff is probably pretty close)
3. Fuel supply.
4. Oil tank.
5. Engine surround tins.
Gary
Marty (Maltese Falcon) has a kit on his website: vanagon conversion. Don't know if it's still available, but you might contact him for more info.
Justinp71
I've seen them in transporters before, looks cool. I wonder if there is a cheaper way to up the hp though... Will it be smog legal in your state?

Its got to be similiar to a 914 though, what I can think of-

engine mount
Oil Cooler and Lines
Oil Tank
Clutch/flywheel
Engine Tin
Trans adaptor?
Computer
Wiring harness adaptor/ custom wiring
Flywheel sensor
Throttle Linkage
Exhaust

Probably looking at another 3-5k...
Dr Evil
Go Corvair. You can do a 3.1 kit including engine and stuff for WAY less than the cost of the 911 engine wink.gif
RJMII
Thank you for all of the input.
It will definitely be smog legal. He's got an old-school VW Westie; it looks to be 70's. I'll have to find out what year it is. It's one of those that has the similar engine to the 914.
This list seems to cover all of the input so-far.

engine mount
Oil Cooler and Lines
Oil Tank
Clutch/flywheel
Engine Tin
Trans adaptor? (Will it bolt to the same transaxle as a T4? the 901?)
Computer (It appears that it is included with that particular ad)
Wiring harness adaptor/ custom wiring
Flywheel sensor
Throttle Linkage
Exhaust
Fuel Supply

There is probably a less expensive way to get more hp. =o) If someone else buys the 3.2 from Larry to put in a 914, I guess that would make this decision a lot easier. lol
RJMII
Dr Evil,

Got some links? I happen to know where there are a couple of Corvairs sitting...
Dr Evil
Dude, check out my bus thread. I am doing it right now.
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...0&hl=waggin

I can get the parts machined for you and can get you the new 2.0L type 1 p/c (set of 6) if you cant get them smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.