Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: newbie 73 2.0
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
beto
any opinions on the fender rust? everything else is original except 8 track. thinking about adding black positive Porsche stripes, opinion?

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Gint
welcome.png Nice looking ride. That's rust through to be sure. It's easier to just replace the fender.
jsayre914
welcome.png

is it me or is that antenna on the wrong side?? confused24.gif
TravisNeff
there is no right side for the antenna, I have seen them on both sides.
Drums66
QUOTE(jsayre914 @ Oct 15 2009, 02:57 PM) *

welcome.png

is it me or is that antenna on the wrong side?? confused24.gif

If it works(reception)it's on the correct side!! idea.gif
thompson-mfr
welcome.png

Nice looking teener! Looks a little high in the front though.

If this is your first 914 you may be unaware that you can simply wrachet the front end down (couple minute procedure) via the torsion adjusters. Pretty cool that Porsche built this into the design.

This is the way mine sat when I bought it some 7 years ago.
Sarastro
With that much rust in one location (a location which is not as well know for rust as other spots such as sail panels, hell hole, trunk bottoms etc.) I'd look around for more rust. A fender replacement really would be the easiest approach. It also appears that this car was repainted at some point - there are probably not a huge number of 914s around which have never been repainted.

As most of the radios were dealer installed options, the antenna could have been placed on the right originally but more commonly they were installed on the left. It would be interesting to see what radio you have installed (is it original?)
beto
QUOTE(Sarastro @ Oct 15 2009, 05:23 PM) *

With that much rust in one location (a location which is not as well know for rust as other spots such as sail panels, hell hole, trunk bottoms etc.) I'd look around for more rust. A fender replacement really would be the easiest approach. It also appears that this car was repainted at some point - there are probably not a huge number of 914s around which have never been repainted.

As most of the radios were dealer installed options, the antenna could have been placed on the right originally but more commonly they were installed on the left. It would be interesting to see what radio you have installed (is it original?)

I talked to PO and the whole car was repainted about 5 years ago. There is a dealer installed 8 track which I will replace with a cd player as the dash was cut for already, nuts. Where is the best source for a fender, as the seams look great right now and it has never been in an accident according to the PO, lawyer?!
ericread
Before you go too far in replacing the entire fender, why don't you grind the paint down to the bare metal to see what you've really got to work with?

Eric
beto
QUOTE(ericread @ Oct 16 2009, 11:56 AM) *

Before you go too far in replacing the entire fender, why don't you grind the paint down to the bare metal to see what you've really got to work with?

Eric

will do, but how much for a fender and where is the best place to buy one, just in case?
rjames
With that much rust in one location (a location which is not as well know for rust as other spots such as sail panels, hell hole, trunk bottoms etc.) I'd look around for more rust.

agree.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.