Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Triumphant day today
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
993inNC
This may be trivial for you veterans, but

I dropped my first aircooled (and 914) motor today piratenanner.gif Closest I've been before was dropping the tranny on the 993 for a clutch (what a PITA that was).

I would say in total it was a 2 hour ordeal (some of the electrical connections had been previously disconnected and tagged). Couldn't believe how easy it was, motor, tranny, exhaust all in one drop..........LOVE IT!!!

Most everything else is now been stripped, got a few interior pieces (pedal cluster, dash skeleton and removing the wiring from the car) and rear suspension/brakes etc, and then its off to be media blasted..........then the real fun begins....rust repair!

I know, a walk in the park for some, but it was a big day for me smile.gif
TravisG
Congrats, I too had the same experience about two months ago. When looking in from the top, it seems like some alien space craft, but once you do it, It all makes sense. Very simple and methodic, German engineering!

BTW, I live about thirty miles south of wilmington, we will have to get together sometime.
aircooledtechguy
Congrats!! Experience is the cure for intimidation.
993inNC
Agree completely. And you're just down the way from me to boot (Travis), we'll have to get together one of these days, compare notes, swap parts. There's a guy down your way that does sand blasting I need to go see.
McMark
Awesome! It seems like a big deal at the beginning, but you see why when people ask, "Should I drop the motor to do X/Y/Z?" We all say, YES!
dlee6204
Nice work! beer.gif Imagine how happy you are going to be when its time to reinstall the engine!
Ian Stott
Good on you!!

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada
type47
QUOTE(993inNC @ Oct 15 2009, 03:10 PM) *

and then its off to be media blasted.......

What are your plans about this? I see you mentioned sand blasting. Have you considered soda blasting?

... seems to me that if you dropped the whole 993 drivetrain, it's not all that much more than the 914 drive train.
TravisG
If it's the guy I am thinking about, his name is Tony Rogers, I have used him in the past, He's very good and reasonable.
993inNC
Soda doesn't get the rust, just the paint. I know folks aren't fond of sand, but the car has many layers of paint/primer and a few rust spots and I want everything not worthy of remaining on the body to be blown off. I don't mind spending a little extra time making sure sand is gone from the nooks and crannies (compressed air and shop vac) and I know that care needs to be taken as so not to heat up the metal and warp it. One guy I talked to said he does multiple light passes to keep the heat down, so.......

As for the 993, I have a 4S and with the torque tube and all, it was a real PITA. I left the motor in and wedged out the tranny by the tube and the motor, won't do that again!!! And you're right, probably not much more, now I know smile.gif
993inNC
I found him on Craigslist, Travis and he said he knows 914's (his buddy has one). IIRC he's down off 211? I don't believe I got his name, just called and chatted for a minute, told him I would come down to see his work, hadn't made it yet smile.gif
type47
QUOTE(993inNC @ Oct 16 2009, 05:56 AM) *

As for the 993, I have a 4S

Yea, that changes things!
McMark
spending a little extra time making sure sand is gone from the nooks and crannies

I know it seems unbelievable, but this won't be enough. You'll still have sand 'magically' appearing.
993inNC
yeah you're probably right. I spun a buddy's 993 clone RS at Roebling last year, filled the car with sand and when he did a complete transformation/repaint, he said they still found more sand from then smile.gif Hey if you're gonna do it, do it right!

I'll take the "magic" risk, I think its the lesser of 2 evils in the grand scheme of the project. The car really needs a complete stripping, it has so many layers of paint/primer and God knows what else smile.gif
TravisG
QUOTE(993inNC @ Oct 16 2009, 09:58 AM) *

I found him on Craigslist, Travis and he said he knows 914's (his buddy has one). IIRC he's down off 211? I don't believe I got his name, just called and chatted for a minute, told him I would come down to see his work, hadn't made it yet smile.gif

Not the fellow that I have used before, but he sounds pretty good. It would be nice to know who the buddy is that has a 914, maybe he has parts...... biggrin.gif
JazonJJordan
Yes, but be prepared if you use sand- my friend;

http://www.silicosisclaims.com/about.html

Silicosis can be deadly, so take exacting precautions with your health and the health of those around you. I blasted when I was younger-unaware. Bad stuff.
Just looking out- thanks~ Jordan

QUOTE(993inNC @ Oct 16 2009, 04:04 PM) *

yeah you're probably right. I spun a buddy's 993 clone RS at Roebling last year, filled the car with sand and when he did a complete transformation/repaint, he said they still found more sand from then smile.gif Hey if you're gonna do it, do it right!

I'll take the "magic" risk, I think its the lesser of 2 evils in the grand scheme of the project. The car really needs a complete stripping, it has so many layers of paint/primer and God knows what else smile.gif

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.