Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Late Doors w/ Impact Bars
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
McMark
Stole this picture from T H O M A S 's for sale thread.

The late model doors (74-75-76?) have impact protection in them. Here's the best picture I've seen of what the impact bars look like.

IPB Image
rick 918-S
I saw that. Nice beam. No wonder those doors are sooo heavy.
Sleepin
Or.....
IPB Image

lol-2.gif
GeorgeRud
They're only heavy if you don't get hit on the driver's side door!

If you do, they are probably life saving!

Have you ever seen the door bars on a NASCAR racer? They truly do all they can to keep those guys alive these days (not so much in the old days), and the door bars on those cages are a great example of what should be done in a race car. In a street car, a bit of weight is probably a reasonable price to pay for the safety afforded.
BMXerror
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Oct 15 2009, 08:57 PM) *

They're only heavy if you don't get hit on the driver's side door!

If you do, they are probably life saving!

Have you ever seen the door bars on a NASCAR racer? They truly do all they can to keep those guys alive these days (not so much in the old days), and the door bars on those cages are a great example of what should be done in a race car. In a street car, a bit of weight is probably a reasonable price to pay for the safety afforded.

Agreed. I'm very minimalistic in the preparation of my 914, but there are some places where you just don't want to skimp! The roll cage and the brakes instantly come to mind. When the cage goes in, it will definitely have NASCAR style door bars. Although, while we're talking about NASCAR, I think 3600 lbs for a purpose built, tubular race car is a bit excessive.
Mark D.
PeeGreen 914
I drive my car 80% AX 20% street. I'll ake my chances for te weight savings I get with early doors. That said, if it was the other way around I would want the later doors.
johannes
that is a very interresting picture.
IronHillRestorations
Having been T Boned in a '74, I was glad to have them!
watsonrx13
Great picture.... Now can someone explain how to remove the outer skin and reskin the door?

-- Rob
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.