Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: low idle ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
oldschool
So my car want idle headbang.gif the only thing I did was to put the gap at .16 what should I look at first, before that it run fine. hissyfit.gif 1973 1.7 d i
SLITS
You need to reset the timing if you changed the dwell (point gap).
zonedoubt
agree.gif Check the dwell with a dwell meter, then do timing.
76-914
QUOTE(SLITS @ Oct 15 2009, 07:45 PM) *

Question: widening the gap will adv/ret timing???
tradisrad
Put in a pertronix or similar electronic ignition and you'll never have to deal with setting the dwell and timing again.
rmital
QUOTE(tradisrad @ Oct 16 2009, 10:38 AM) *

Put in a pertronix or similar electronic ignition and you'll never have to deal with setting the dwell and timing again.

...and timing???? confused24.gif
tradisrad
I put in a pertronix then set my timing and I've never had to change it (timing) in two years. So that is what I mean by not having to deal with it. Am I missing something?
SLITS
No, you aren't missing anything. As long as the dizzy is not moved, the timing would stay static save for wear in the dizzy drive.
SLITS
QUOTE(76-914 @ Oct 15 2009, 08:10 PM) *

QUOTE(SLITS @ Oct 15 2009, 07:45 PM) *

Question: widening the gap will adv/ret timing???

I thought about this until my head hurt. I know that the saturation time (dwell) would be lessened. The points would open earlier, so probably retard.

Being a retard myself, it was only logical.
tod914
You can get yourself a decent variable timeing light and a dwell meter at Sears at a good price. Not likely to get it right without either. If you decide on pertronix, you can pass on the dwell meter. The variable timeing light is nice being you can verify your 0 mark and advance mark (not sure what it is for a 1.7). If they don't jive, then you probally would want to recheck your zero mark. By increasing the gap in the points, you decrease your dwell number and visa versa.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.