Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A couple of things on a transmission rebuild
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DNHunt
This is an idea I borrowed from Clay and a new spin I added to it. I hate adjusting shift forks and I saw Clay had cut a window in an old transmission case. Most of us are combining the best parts from a couple of boxes or more so there should be extra cases. The window worked great and is easier than the jig that is available. It is more secure and the forks move less. On a side shifter you can install a shift console and test it and watch for interferences.

I added a piece of wood that fit snugly into the slots of the shift rods so they stayed aligned while I tighten the shift forks.

Dave
DNHunt
I was planning on using a case I picked up but, it had been apart once at least and the shift console had been put together carelessly so, I was a little wary of the rest of it. It hadn't been run much so there were some good parts including a new steel caged bearing in the intermediate plate for the drive shaft. After I got the gear stack together I decided to trial fit it into the case and check the pinion depth. It was more difficult to turn than I thought it should be and it was noisy turning by hand. So, I put some white grease on the ring gear and tried it again. Here are pictures of the contact areas.

Driver side

Click to view attachment

Coast side

Click to view attachment

I thought tis was to much copntact and probly was the cause of what I felt and heard. So I swapped the good bearing and the dive shaft onto the intermediate plate that came with transmission installed at the factory in my car. I used it's pinion shaft and the same thickness gaskets and trial fit it. It turns much better and is quiet. I'll do a print with the white grease later.

Dave
Dr Evil
Interesting. I wouldnt do that, so I am curious how it all turns out smile.gif Dave the pioneer.

With the window method, I find that your window is restrictive in its views. I like to adjust mine from several angles (unless it is ericread's, then I just say screw it wink.gif ). I have a case that has all extra material removed.....I like the jig wink.gif Its cool for shows, though.
DNHunt
Here are the marks from the other case; not much different.

Drive

Click to view attachment

coast

Click to view attachment
ericread
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Oct 17 2009, 04:14 PM) *

I like to adjust mine from several angles (unless it is ericread's, then I just say screw it wink.gif ).

headbang.gif lol-2.gif

Eric
Dr Evil
Its hard to read in the pics. To me they all look too deep.
DNHunt
Mike

I kind of thought the same thing. What I can say is the contact never makes it all the way to the edge of the heel and toe. I am very used to reading contact patterns in this type of media as we use a concoction of Crisco and talc to shown contact areas in the mouth. In reading a print you will see the area of greatest pressure wiped clean and then a highlighted ring followed by roughly concentric rings. Motion tends to smear these outside rings as it has here. However, generally, the point where contact stops is where white pigment is first seen. I believe in this case the contacts are not as large as they appear on the pictures but. they are still larger than the diagrams I have seen. I'm going to run it and see what happens.

Dave
Mark Henry
Paint the gears with dykem blue and use (carefully) a fine lapping compound, but you might need to spin it faster.

I`m building a couple of bug trans jigs like the one you have there....the 901 jig is only $30 though.
J P Stein
So, how much backlash ya got?
Did you check bearing pre load?
J P Stein
FYI
DNHunt
My measurements .006 preload and I measured 24 inlbs to turn it. That is right at the smallest value my 1/4 torque wrench will read. It was repeatable but, I would consider it an estimate.

The backlash was .008. The manual call out .005-007 so it's just outside. It is quiet however. We see how long it lasts.

Don't try to use a pinion shaft expansion bolt out of a 902/02 transmission. The pinion that drives the speedometer is larger in diameter and it will bind the pinion up.

Dave
Dr Evil
Dave you are a stud, applying dental knowledge to transmission repair smile.gif I look forward to seeing how this works.
DNHunt
That's not such a big jump, gears have teeth.
Dr Evil
tooth.gif teef.gif
Richard Casto
Dave,

You should try some gear marking compound. It's designed specifically for what you are trying to do. Probably much easier to read the pattern using it vs. lithium grease. It's also cheap.

http://paceperformance.com/index.asp?PageA...p;ProdID=187262

Richard
Katmanken
Dave,

How is the ring and pinion setting working out?

Found this website on setting up a ring and pinion and in reading the contact patterns..

http://www.drivetrain.com/parts_catalog/ri...structions.html

Ken
DNHunt
It's working fine.

I haven't driven it a lot with winter here but, so far so good.
Dr Evil
If it is not whining or grinding right away, you are on it and need not worry smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.