Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Air Conditioning unit
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
Lopezxisove
Help! I'm confused about the air conditioning on my 74 2.0 914. I'm planning to restore my 914 to factory specifications and its very critical for me to know if the air conditioning unit is stock or not. thank you. photos of the original setup will be greatly appreciated.

IPB Image
dr914@autoatlanta.com
could be vpc but that round grille has nothing to do with VPC
Tom_T
Post a pic of the under-dash control & distribution unit.

All 914 AC units were dealer installed options - which may show on the original window sticker/sales receipt, but not usually on COA since that's factory installed options only (as far as I know). There were 2 versions back then installed by the USA dealers - VPC made by Volkswagen Products Company (in Dallas/Ft. Worth area then I believe); or the DPD unit, which used a round conical evaporator in the front trunk which the spare sat over & secured same; versus the squared VPC one which required additional tie-downs.

I agree that the top round vent doesn't look like a VPD condenser, but I don't have a pic of it handy, & it could also just be a variation over the AC units' production run.

I understand that both VPC & DPD units were designed by the same person, who has done a modern R134 unit sold at AA that is far more efficient & only robs the engine of 1.5 hp vs. 10+ on the old units; which you MAY be able to install the guts of into either the VPC or DPD units' dash consoles & condenser boxes - ask George or someone at AA on that.

The under dash grill & controls on the DPD unit is more symmetrical & the control dials are centered at the center console below & heater controls above, whereas VPC is offset to the right towards the passenger. See pix below:

VPC:

Click to view attachment

DPD:

Click to view attachment

Hope this helps! smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.