Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: missing gears
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
svsv
ok here we go 2nd & 4th have dissapeared just replaced ball cup in rear they were there after that and now i can hold it were they should be and feel the syncros grab and pull it in then it is in gear but a normal shift not there at all the shifter is perty sloppy but where have they gone confused24.gif
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(svsv @ Oct 17 2009, 09:14 PM) *

2nd & 4th have dissapeared. I just replaced the ball cup in the rear. They weren't there after that. Now I can hold it were they should be and feel the syncros grab and pull it in then it is in gear; but a normal shift not there at all. The shifter is pretty sloppy. Where have they gone? confused24.gif

New and improved with PUNCTUATION!

We want to help, but we need to be able to read what you are asking us about without our eyes crossing too.

As to your problem, you likely need to replace more then just the ball cup in the rear. If it was gone, and if your shifter is still sloppy, you need to go ahead and replace *ALL* the bushings and 2 cone screws in the shift linkage. Then you will need to readjust your shifter.

Once that is gone, the slop will be removed and you will find 2nd and 4th again.

My guess is that its also hard to find reverse, as it is also on the 2/4 plane.

welcome.png

Zach
svsv
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Oct 17 2009, 09:44 PM) *

QUOTE(svsv @ Oct 17 2009, 09:14 PM) *

2nd & 4th have dissapeared. I just replaced the ball cup in the rear. They weren't there after that. Now I can hold it were they should be and feel the syncros grab and pull it in then it is in gear; but a normal shift not there at all. The shifter is pretty sloppy. Where have they gone? confused24.gif

New and improved with PUNCTUATION!

We want to help, but we need to be able to read what you are asking us about without our eyes crossing too.

As to your problem, you likely need to replace more then just the ball cup in the rear. If it was gone, and if your shifter is still sloppy, you need to go ahead and replace *ALL* the bushings and 2 cone screws in the shift linkage. Then you will need to readjust your shifter.

Once that is gone, the slop will be removed and you will find 2nd and 4th again.

My guess is that its also hard to find reverse, as it is also on the 2/4 plane.

welcome.png

Zach

Thanks that is what I was thinking also. Not that I was hoping for that, but just the same. Once again you guys & gals are most helpful. Thank you again......
VaccaRabite
When you do the firewall bushing, do not be surprised if you find no bushing there at all. I have seen a few 914s now that did not have not there to start with. Funny things happen in 30 years.

Boil the firewall bushing and it is MUCH easier to install. Otherwise you are going to have to make a tool to press it in, which is a PITA (and the route that I took).

Zach
svsv
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Oct 18 2009, 04:02 PM) *

When you do the firewall bushing, do not be surprised if you find no bushing there at all. I have seen a few 914s now that did not have not there to start with. Funny things happen in 30 years.

Boil the firewall bushing and it is MUCH easier to install. Otherwise you are going to have to make a tool to press it in, which is a PITA (and the route that I took).

Zach

Thankyou for the extra info. I crawled under it and inspected that area, what I found was that the coupler bushings had removed themselves. The firewall bushing is on its way also so it is on the list to. From what I read on that install they can be real bears to get drove in. So all tips and tricks are appreaciated. Thanks again
Seth
Markl
QUOTE(svsv @ Oct 29 2009, 09:00 PM) *

QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Oct 18 2009, 04:02 PM) *

Zach

Thankyou for the extra info. I crawled under it and inspected that area, what I found was that the coupler bushings had removed themselves. The firewall bushing is on its way also so it is on the list to. From what I read on that install they can be real bears to get drove in. So all tips and tricks are appreaciated. Thanks again
Seth

I just did mine - used a .75x3" bolt, nut, and a couple of fender washers. Bolt through the firewall, go underneath and slide the bushing on, follow with washer and nut. A little lube (soap or glycerin) will help, but it presses in real easy. Didn't even think about boiling it - Zach, is that to kill the rust viruses?
tat2dphreak
I did the bolt+washers press...

the conversion bushing for a 70-72 -sideshifter conversion seems tougher than the stock one, FWIW.

I agree with zach tho, replace all the bushings and cone screws, and inspect for leaks while you are at it. on my Side shifter the shaft seal was leaking AND the O-Ring, if one is leaking, may as well replace them both.

only holy water and ospho kills rust viruses... on second thought, I'm not catholic... just ospho(or other suitable heavy chemical)
Dr Evil
If you only replaced the cup bushing then you need to adjust the stick shift still. If the fire wall bushing is missing then that will need to be replaced as Zach said.

welcome.png
underthetire
I boiled mine. Went right in.
VaccaRabite
boiling the firewall bushing makes it much more flexible and easier to install. When it cools, it goes back to being the inflexible bitch it was designed to be.
Dr Evil
I boil it, and have used a section of all thread, a large socket and a large washer to persuade it in. Remove the inner shift rod from the fire wall or you will not get the bushing in with out messing it up.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.