Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Picture needed of the long
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ahdoman
Does anyone have a cross section view of the long? Preferrably the horizontal section undernearth the doors.
john rogers
On our 1973 and 1974 both were empty boxes. Some have an actual heater ducting inside, ours did not, just the inlet hole in back and the stub outlet at the front of the box section.
ahdoman
Thanks John. I'm trying to determine the construction and where the lateral seams are so I really need a cross section. Anybody ever chop a rusty chassis in half?
sean_v8_914
auto atlanta has good pics in the sheet metal area of eh catalog on line
ahdoman
Thanks Sean but that's not the info I need. I'm trying to determine the construction of the long. It looks like it is a square tube welded together (seamed) along the bottom. Does it look like this in a cross section?

Click to view attachment
rjames
QUOTE(ahdoman @ Oct 19 2009, 05:19 PM) *

Thanks Sean but that's not the info I need. I'm trying to determine the construction of the long. It looks like it is a square tube welded together (seamed) along the bottom. Does it look like this in a cross section?

Click to view attachment

If I remember correctly onn the outside of the long there are 2 pieces sandwhiched together. The inner piece stops short of the 90 degree bend that the outer piece makes to meet up under the long where it is spot welded.
I'm looking for some pictures I took when I had to make repairs...
But here's something along the lines of what I remember.

Click to view attachment

I just found a picture from my repair. I was wrong about the inner piece not making the 90 degree bend, it does, but doesn't completely extend to 'seal' the box. In this photo you can see where I removed a large piece of the outer layer and a small piece of the inner layer.
Click to view attachment
bdstone914
Ill get you a pic, There is a car in the back with the long chopped in half in the middle of the drivers door. Give me a few and Ill post pics.
agentblr
I cut a rusty tub in half ! Sorry no close up of the longs....
ahdoman
Robert - so do both the inner and outer layers meet at the seam on the bottom?
Richard Casto
Steve,

I rebuilt mine and I have a bunch of photos here that might help...

http://motorsport.zyyz.com/project_914_03_04.htm

In in general your diagram is correct. But it's really like two "C" channels spot welded together at the top and bottom. The floor then connects to the bottom of the inner "C". But it gets more complicated near the jack receiver area and under the door hinges. That includes some level of double wall reinforcements and other structures. You also have the sill and triangular bracket layered on top of that.

Hope this helps!

Richard
ejm
pic

ahdoman
THANKS EJM! That's exactly what I was hoping for!
carr914
Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.