Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wiring - i'm in deep ! keep going?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
advtracing
I'm stripping the car for ready for body work and paint. So ....leave the wiring loom alone were it's at ? or jump in and remove the hole thing for repair and hope to figure it out later?

Note ; the car was already 2/3rd's stripped by a past owner , little to no tags on the loom and boxes of parts so hay it's a jigsaw anyway..........

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

IronHillRestorations
The Haynes manual has wiring diagrams with the correct color coding. It may seem like the Gordian Knot mixed with a rat's nest, but it's actually pretty straight forward, but tedious.
ericread
Looks like you may need to replace some of these wire looms. he good news is that Jeff Bowlsby makes new wiring harnesses.

Check here for more info: http://bowlsby.net/914/WiringHarnesses/

Eric
bdstone914
Bowlsby does great work but those are the harnesses for the engine bay, Not the entire car. I believe he makes the FI harness and the Ignition harnesses.
burton73
Wrap up what you have where it is very good so the paint does not get to it. Remove the black vinyl covers on the fold overs in the trunks that hold the wire in place for the looms and coil the wires in neat rolls and cover then in paper and masking tape so the paint does not get to it. Cover the long parts of the loom that you cannot remove in the engine bay with paper and tape or plastic film and masking tape so it does not get painted.

After the paint you can put the black vinyl covers back on the fold over in the trunks that hold the wire in place for the looms and it will look very clean and pro like.

Bob
736conver
QUOTE(burton73 @ Oct 19 2009, 03:33 PM) *

Wrap up what you have where it is very good so the paint does not get to it. Remove the black vinyl covers on the fold overs in the trunks that hold the wire in place for the looms and coil the wires in neat rolls and cover then in paper and masking tape so the paint does not get to it. Cover the long parts of the loom that you cannot remove in the engine bay with paper and tape or plastic film and masking tape so it does not get painted.

After the paint you can put the black vinyl covers back on the fold over in the trunks that hold the wire in place for the looms and it will look very clean and pro like.

Bob

agree.gif

Even though you dont have anything tagged right now its pretty easy to hook it back up.
Thats how I got my chassis. Wires were all wrapped up in a bag inside the car. Once the car was painted I opened the bag, did some repairs and just started putting wires in the general area they belonged. Once you get that down you can get to specifics.
advtracing
at this point it would be easy to pull out the lot and then reinstall from scratch , i have done the same for my 72 ST and 911 tunnels are alot more work.
So i think strip everything out and get someone to rebuild the harness .
silverteener
"After the paint you can put the black vinyl covers back on the fold over in the trunks that hold the wire in place for the looms and it will look very clean and pro like."

I pulled all the black covers when I repainted the engine bay. when I was done I just used the black shrink wrap used to cover wire looms. Just cut them to size and hit them with a heat gun and they look brand new. Just a suggestion....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.