Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How do you adjust parking brake?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jetboy
Mine seems to no longer hold the car still unless I am on nearly flat ground. Where (for the mechanically inept confused24.gif ) do you adjust this at? I pull up on the handle and not much effect. Photos would help me. Does the carpet and seat need to come out? Or, is this adjustment at the caliper somewhere? Help the feeble minded, please wacko.gif .
type47
I suspect you should search for "adjusting the venting clearance" on the rear calipers. I would adjust this before tearing into cable adjustment. It's a PIA procedure but should help.
jetboy
Does the venting clearance affect the parking brake? I have no issues with my brakes when pressed with my foot (no pulling, squeaking, grinding, etc.). Only issue is the hand brake (parking/emergancy) is not holding the car in place when i pull it up.
type47
I've had the venting clearance affect the pedal travel in that after I adjusted it, it seemed to result in less travel (how far you push on the pedal to activate braking). If you have good brakes, then look to the cable adjustment (look for the cable in the back corner behind the driver seat.)
plas76targa
Chris - Check the pelican parts web site for a tech article on a 914 brakes install and adjust process. You may need to adjust the rear calipers before touching the cables. note - there is a special tool for the inside adjustments.

Let's see if I can capture the link for you
http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/9..._brake_pads.htm
jim_hoyland
Chris,

Just went through the same thing and endend up doing the following:

1. Adjust the venting clearance per directions posted, be sure the E brake cable is disconnected from the caliperduring adjustment

2. After getting venting clearance set, reattach e brake cables; then snug up the cable with the jam nuts at the firewall

3. Behing the driver seat is where the brak cables attach; check to see they are equal. You might want to do this before step 2
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.