Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Question "Gap vs. Dwell"
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tabs914
I have never done this procedure (Setting the Dwell) and the more I read on it the more confused I become. Isn't setting the gap the same as setting dwell? confused24.gif

Thanks...
Gint
Yes it's the same. One is just expressed as a degree of arc instead a distance between the contacts. Dwell angle is the more precise form of measurement for point gap.

Edit: D'oh! I thought dwell was the open angle not closed. Worng again...

Dwell angle is a measure of the duration of time that the primary circuit of the ignition system is closed to energize the primary windings of the coil. It expressed (and measured) in degrees of rotation of the distributor rotor, hence the use of the term "angle".
r_towle
The gap is the space between the contact points in the distributor.
The base line gap is set at 016.
This is set with a feeler gauge and a screw driver.

The Dwell is the measurement (electronically measured) with a dwell meter. It measures how long the contact points dwell in the closed position...thus the dwell.

To increase the dwell, you set the points to a smaller gap...increase dwell, use a bigger gap.
There are differences in distributors, in shaft wear, in points sizes etc etc.
The ONLY setting that matters is the dwell setting on your car, with your distributor, using your Bosch points.

I could take your points, put them in my car and the dwell would be the same, yet my gap measurement may be different.

All you care about is the Dwell measurement...that is the key number and at the end the baseline gap you have is not relevant...its all about the dwell.

Rich
tabs914
Ok...great! I think i get it now. Thanks. beerchug.gif
SLITS
Ah man, they didn't throw in coil saturation time to futher confuse the issue.
r_towle
QUOTE(SLITS @ Oct 19 2009, 07:32 PM) *

Ah man, they didn't throw in coil saturation time to futher confuse the issue.

I figured from you it would be more like...

The gap is how wide you need to spread your cheeks to squeeze it out.
The Dwell is how long it takes in the bathroom.

Rich
SLITS
Thanks Rich ..... you're on target!
balljoint
chairfall.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.