Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Let's pick dates
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Events Forum > Past Event Planning Threads
RoadGlue
I was hoping to have more time to chat with some of you at or after the auto-x on Saturday, but the race and other obligations got in the way. Mark and I chatted a little.

- This should be a Spring or very early Summer event, preferably not held during the few weeks that spring break spans. Tahoe is pretty crowded during that time.

- We'll see if we can get good rates and a good place to commune at one of the local hotels, though we're not going to put in any money or commit to a certain number of attendees.

- A single day auto-x would be interesting, but it's not a huge priority to us and I don't think it has to be an integral part of the event. Auto-X's happen all the time and not everyone is interested in racing. It's one of those things that it's cool if someone steps up to the plate and wants to take control of that part of the event, but I don't have the connections to make it happen. This auto-x has to be hosted by a group that has the insurance hook-ups, which I assume would be the PCA. I don't even know which region Reno falls under.

If the event is going to be a Fri/Sat/ event (sun is just breakfast and people head home), then we should really focus on activities that will bring the group together. Tahoe is activity central, so we should really make sure attendees know we've got a structured itinerary. Without that, people would likely scatter and do their own thing up there. They can do that on their own time. smile.gif

This is a rough draft only:
Friday - Meet/Greet/Eat/Drink
Saturday - Breakfast/two-trunk swap meet/car show/day trip/dinner
Sunday - Auto-x? Breakfast? Swim? Drive home

Date suggestions:

May 8,9,10 - Mothers Day Weekend
May 14, 15, 16
May 21, 22, 23
May 28, 29, 30 - Memorial Day Weekend = Hell in Tahoe
June 5, 6, 7

Any later and it can start getting too warm. The valley SUCKS when it's 100* with 100% humidity and Reno/Virgina City, etc get hot as well. The passes are lovely, but they will amplify any problems a 914 might have, so might as well not add in a bunch of hot weather to boot.

My vote is for the 14/15/16. Objections? Suggestions? As soon as we can agree on dates, I want to make an announcement in the garage.

Please speak up by Wednesday. Trying to keep this thing moving.

Thanks!
RoadGlue
I also don't mind adding an extra day either. Thurs/Friday/Sat/Sun.
RoadGlue
knock knock, who's there?
McMark
Finally had a chance to look in on this. I don't see any conflicts with other events for any of those dates. Parade is in Mid July.

I consider this thread to be a roll-call of who's still interested in planning this event.
ConeDodger
Those of us who were involved haven't had a chance to meet and discuss anything other than going ahead with the event as already planned and if it isn't WCR then it would be a local event. I suspect the later will happen and that it will be a PCA Sierra Nevada / Sacramento Valley 3 day event. They like the plan as it was laid out but are leery of us.

I can tell you that Tahoe is in the Sierra Nevada Region and as far as I know they do not have equipment or hold autocrosses. Unless something has changed and I don't expect it has Sacramento Valley Region who had agreed to hold a concurrent event so we could autocross is not interested in getting involved with us after that display of discord without my involvement. As it is my reputation with my club that is on the line, I am not interested in persuading them either.

I do not want to be involved. Having Admin's involved in the bashing (Andy, Gint, Rusty) pretty much did it for me. They should have shut down the thread and both parties sent to privately work it out.

I wish you luck but if I were you, I would turn it over to Jamie Rust who wanted to do it in Oregon.
biosurfer1
I'm still in.

I don't AX my car so that doesnt matter to me. A car show, swap meet, meet and greet, dinner, etc plus the surrounding Tahoe area should supply more than enough things to fill 3-4 days (I'll be going for four either way).

I'm not sure if Paul is still in, but I can try contacting a couple hotels to see what kind of rate/support they can give us.

I'm sorry about the way things went down, however being that I could not have gone on the original dates, I suppose it works out better for me.
jcd914
Randy,
It was nice to meet you on Saturday however briefly. It sounds like you plan to take over and run with this, maybe not the best way to win friends in this group but we need to get something going. I had hoped that we (the planning committee, whoever that is now) would get together and talk live and in person as we did in our other planning sessions. I am willing to help out with planning but if your patience level is such that not even 7 hours after your first post, you are wondering where we are and why we have not responded then you can count me out. I have enough of that at work thank you.

Here are my thoughts:
I am relatively new to 914world so I don't have a good grasp on the history and precedent of past events so maybe my perspective is not that of the average member.

It seems to me that an auto-x or track event is very important to many that spoke up about attending, so passing on one of these would be a mistake.

I believe you are correct that the event needs to be before summer season starts but temps should not be an issue in Tahoe. Average temps are May L=32 H=61, June L=37 H=70, July L=40 H=79, Aug L=38 H=79, Sept L=33 H=72 (weather.com).

Tahoe gets too many tourists/vacationers after school gets out and prices go up and venue flexibility goes away.
I think there should be more on Friday and Sunday it could be lower key flexible events planned to start off & end with. There is a good chance people will come earlier and stay longer if there is stuff to do. It seems like we would be stuffing every thing into Saturday and I personally would not come from a long distance for what amounts to a long Saturday event. Although I would travel long distance for an Auto-x (it's a mental thing, ask my wife). Not that I currently have a 914 to take to anything sad.gif

May 14 maybe out for me as I have a quarterly release at work the starts that Friday. They keep telling me that are going to hire me some help or a replacement but that has not happened yet so I maybe working Friday night.
May 21,22,23 are out for me, ALMS will be at Laguna Seca as will I.

My nephew has a small silk screening business and I can get good rate on T shirts. Something that came up in one of our other planning meetings was the idea of incentive to sign up early. Possibly giving a shirt slightly different than everyone else would get to those that sign up early. Kind of a limited edition WRC2010 T shirt.

I have a friend that can (and is willing to) come on-site and cater lunch/dinner. Depending on what is wanted the price varies and he is reasonable. He can do anything from a sit down formal dinner for hundreds to BBQ hot dogs for 20. When he and I were talking about the September event our thought line was along the lines of pulled pork sandwiches, BBQ Tri Tip sandwiches, brat wurst, salad, fruit & drinks for lunches Saturday and Sunday. Since the catering laws in Nevada are more favorable he figured with permission from the Cool September night organizer (Tom) he could make the lunches for 914world members pretty cheap since he could also be selling retail to the Car Show crowd as well. Since we won't have the car show crowd it might be harder to make financially viable but certainly something to think about.

Jim

PS: To the original planners, if there is still interest in the Cool September Days event as a local event (not WCR2010) I am interested still. We could possibly still get the PCA Auto-x.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(biosurfer1 @ Oct 20 2009, 05:54 PM) *

I'm still in.

I don't AX my car so that doesnt matter to me. A car show, swap meet, meet and greet, dinner, etc plus the surrounding Tahoe area should supply more than enough things to fill 3-4 days (I'll be going for four either way).

I'm not sure if Paul is still in, but I can try contacting a couple hotels to see what kind of rate/support they can give us.

I'm sorry about the way things went down, however being that I could not have gone on the original dates, I suppose it works out better for me.

The last I saw of Paul was when he posted that the thread should be shut down. My phone was out for a couple weeks with no screen before ATT replaced it so I wouldn't know if he called but he didn't PM me either.
biosurfer1
Not to get off track, but pulled pork sandwiches....YUM!
jcd914
QUOTE(biosurfer1 @ Oct 20 2009, 09:55 PM) *

Not to get off track, but pulled pork sandwiches....YUM!

Absolutly on track!
This is about making a good event
driving.gif beer3.gif chowtime.gif beerchug.gif bs.gif laugh.gif beer.gif av-943.gif

jeeperjohn56
Hi Guys, first time reading this sence the blow out with the other group on the other dates in Sept. The new dates are not a problem except forcing me to hurry on putting car back together when car comes back from painter, who still has it and no paint on it yet. I'm still in on helping with anything If I can, I have no pull with anybody but can haul any extra stuff up if need be. the week before Labor Day sounds good to me. John popcorn[1].gif
RoadGlue
I think it's funny that it was said that by planning this I probably wouldn't win over any friends. Was making friends your goal by having the event collide with Red Rock? Sheesh. A little bit of positive energy would go a long way in this thread. We can do it. smile.gif

I just want to get this thing moving. The sooner we get the dates decided on the better. I'd like to avoid the ALMS dates at Seca, so the mid month dates probably still work best.

If the Auto-X can be fit in then at would be great. If it can't, then I don't consider that a deal breaker for many people. Rob, just because you don't want to handle it doesn't mean we need to hand this over to Jamie in Oregon. I've been planning and assisting in event creation in the 914 community for over a decade and I don't find this very daunting (yet!). Again, I'm sure we can do this without pissing off a huge chunk of the club at the same time. I know some of the admins fueled the fire before, but it's time to move forward or step aside. I'd love to have all of your help.

The Auto-X is definitely where I'd need the most help. I have absolutely no experience working with the PCA in this regards.

So, May 13th - 16h or bust?

ConeDodger
Wow... I'm out for sure now.
RoadGlue
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Oct 22 2009, 05:40 PM) *

Wow... I'm out for sure now.

Did I ask too much? *confused*
ConeDodger
Randy, I am sure your intentions are good but you need to consider a couple of things. You were asked, late in the process to plan one aspect of the event - the drive. At that point, you jumped in and started throwing out our baby with the bath water. Decisions had been made and you wanted to un-make them. I stood back and asked myself if we had made a mistake by asking you to handle the drive. I think what Jim is trying to tell you is it is too much. We haven't asked you to take over, yet you apparently have. I said before that we haven't had a chance to meet face to face to make any decisions and yet you are changing our dates for us.

Second, to ask, rhetorically I am sure if it was our intention to make friends when we had our event collide, as you put it with Red Rock was out of line. It has been stated over and over that we did not consider Red Rock in our planning. Red Rock never came up. One person mentioned Red Rock and said it was the same month in that original thread. That doesn't seem to be too much of a problem. One person??? Weeks later, someone said Red Rocks was the same month and that they would be coming to WCR and that "I am sure that it will work out". Are you kidding me? You want to come in here and pick off that scab? No one from Red Rocks contacted us with a concern. They waited until the day after their event and weeks after we announced our event and went ahead with plans before they attacked us (me). And you think WE did something wrong? That we intentionally blasted their event with lasers?

Have you been invited to take over? Is that your self-appointed intention? You have shown no respect from the start for what we have worked hard to put together. That is I am sure what Jim is getting at though I am sure he would wait a day or so before he typed to mitigate the feelings that evokes.

Take a look at your language in that post. "I'd love to have all of your help". We had a planning group, with a leader. As far as I know that leader hasn't decided he is done with this. You may well end up running this but at this point you are being a bit presumptious by declaring yourself the lead organizer since we aren't moving fast enough for you.

I am just trying to help you understand what Jim *might* have meant when he said "maybe not the best way to win friends in this group..." And why I am stunned by your response. Did you even consider asking the group if they wanted you to take over?

I will probably regret writing this because I really do like you. It is just irritating to have someone feel they need to come in and take over. This was a collabortative effort from the start. You're not respecting that.
RoadGlue
Take over? It looked like you guys were all out. Done, over, through with it. I can pull up a number of posts where you've backed out Rob. Once you do that a few times, I start to believe that in fact you may actually be out.

I'm sorry about some of my tone, but it's been so frustrating watching this train wreck go down. It was only after you quit the first time that it seemed like someone needed to pick up the reins. My intentions have been good, though I'm trying to get through the bullshit.

I like you too Rob, and this whole thing is really getting into the territory where I'm not longer interested in helping out. Yes, it's your guys baby. I'll happily step aside if that's what you want. If we can't be a team, then I'm just causing further grief in this process. Just do me and the rest of the World members a favor and put your egos aside and move forward as soon as possible.

Good luck guys, you need it,
ConeDodger
Ok guys... Let's meet Halloween morning or the morning after at the donut shop to make some decisions.

We move ahead, we throw it back to Mark and he can assign it to whomever. We agree to work with Randy. For the record, Randy would do a fine job. We pick new dates, we go with the same ones.

All of these decisions need to be made and apparently people think we are not making them fast enough.

One point though that needs to be made here, just because I say I am out doesn't mean this group has no leader. I was not the leader. Just a member of the team. So before people start stepping up and taking over, I suggest someone ask Paul if he is out. It is premature for anyone to start taking over before that.
jcd914
Yes the group I was referring to was the planing committee for this event. My comment was intended for you Randy as gentle note that maybe your tone was a little over bearing. Tone in a web post is difficult to gauge and I did not mean to offend with my comment.
Obviously progress seems to have stalled at least on any of the threads here. Considering the intrusion into our "Protected" forum by rusty, to some it may not have seemed safe even here to voice opinion about the explosion in the "Garage". I know that I have talked with a couple of people from the planning committee but not to any extent. I am just a worker bee intending to contribute where I can and I don't really care who takes the leadership roll but I do care about how they lead. Paul only accepted the leadership roll with the understanding that we were all in it together and he was not really in charge of everything.
Moving forward I think we should meet in person and see if we can all get on the same page. Our first meetings at the dougnut store, we covered a lot of territory. Randy I think you would be an asset to the planning committee and Rob I hope you continue to contribute as well.

I am up for meeting Halloween morning as Rob is suggesting.
I have no problem moving WRC2010 to May 13-16ish.
I have no problem working with anyone willing to pitch in.
I have NO interest (or time) to lead this.

Jim

biosurfer1
I have no problem with the May 13-16
I have no problem helping with whatever.

smile.gif

What kind of race is ALMS? I might have to check it out
jcd914
QUOTE(biosurfer1 @ Oct 23 2009, 08:46 AM) *

I have no problem with the May 13-16
I have no problem helping with whatever.

smile.gif

What kind of race is ALMS? I might have to check it out

American Le Mans Series, Prototypes and GT cars on the track together in a 4 hour endurance race. The last several years it has been a Saturday race that ran in to the dusk, billed as "Racing into the dark". Previously it was the Sunday headliner race, don't know what they will do next years except they have lengthened it to 6 hours. There are several other races over the weekend as filler and it varies each year as who the get to come. This year they had the Speed GT and Speed Touring classes racing, very good mix of brands involve here. It is a fun weekend, I usually try to go Thursday afternoon and camp on site all weekend. Lots of good food and drink shared amongst the campers.

To get back on track, I'll buy doughnuts and Coffee Halloween morning for all the planning committee that can get there. Also I am open to moving the meeting location if we think we can include more people.

Jim

ConeDodger
I spoke with Paul today and I have his position on this. Let's meet Saturday morning 9am at the donut shop. We will report the results here but your presence gives you input. Remember, this is open to anyone who considered themselves on the committee. You need to be there especially if you want to move forward with this. I am sure Jim will be there. Brett, John, others - sound off if you are going to be there.
biosurfer1
I shall be in attendance...

I fear the commute is too far for Mark though:)
ConeDodger
QUOTE(biosurfer1 @ Oct 27 2009, 01:41 PM) *

I shall be in attendance...

I fear the commute is too far for Mark though:)

Ahh... You must know that Mark is in England or Ireland then biggrin.gif
jcd914
I'll be there, I offered to buy so I guess I have to be there. smile.gif
At least I don't have far to go.

Jim

RoadGlue
Have fun, hope you make some good headway. I'm stuck in SF until Sun.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.