Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: VW / Porsche CV joint compatibility
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mkincaid
I'm trying to build a custom street rod with a 914 5 speed and vw axles and outboard bearings/stub axles.

My question is, do the VW cv's bolt to the porsche output flange?

If not, what would be the easiest way to mate VW outboard drive components to porsche inboard drive components?

Ideas: Replace the output flange on the trans? replace the flange on the outboard and use porsche axles/joints? Weld a porsche half shaft to a VW half shaft (eww)?

I'm hoping it just bolts up. :/

Thanks!
TravisNeff
Eric Shea converts the vw bearings for use on the 914, he drills out in installs the required roll pins. www.pmbperformance.com
mkincaid
Just to be clear what i'm trying to do. I'm essentially trying to install a 914 transmission into a 70's VW bug. So same outboards, axles, cv joints, just with the 914 transmission (mid engine).

This is not actually what i'm doing, because that would be insanity. But for all intentions of this thread, that is what i'm doing.
tat2dphreak
it's not that insane, but using a 901 out of a 911 will be easier, so you don't have 5 gears in reverse smile.gif
tradisrad
my understanding is that the VW uses 6 bolts and the 914 uses 4 bolts and 2 roll pins. What I think people are doing is enlarging two of the bolt holes in the VW CV and installing the roll pins.
tat2dphreak
QUOTE(tradisrad @ Oct 20 2009, 03:23 PM) *

my understanding is that the VW uses 6 bolts and the 914 uses 4 bolts and 2 roll pins. What I think people are doing is enlarging two of the bolt holes in the VW CV and installing the roll pins.

agree.gif
mkincaid
I've read this too. Thank you.

So other than the bolts and pins. The flange and bolt pattern diameters are ok?

I really wish i had these parts in front of me at this point.

Thanks again.
GS Guy
At least 3 or 4 on-line articles dealing with what you're wanting to do - use a Porsche trans in a VW Beetle based car.

Here's a start:
http://www.blindchickenracing.com/How_to/C..._joints_101.htm

Oops, just realized they don't include the 914 CV! Pretty sure it's almost same as a T1, except for 2 roll pins replace two opposing bolt locations?

Jeff
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.