Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WOT: Furnace question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ruddyboys
My last house had an oil burner w/ forced hot air. My new house has a Burnham V7 boiler with baseboard heating. Every morning when the heat comes on I can hear the water filling the pipes, is that normal? I would thing it would be a closed system with the water heating in the boiler and the pump pushing it up thru the pipes.
type47
You may have to bleed air out of the piping system. With the circulating pump on, crack the little valves (should be somewhere in the system) to let the air escape. We have oil fired hot water radiators not baseboard but seems to me should be the same.
SLITS
The air bleed(s) will be in the highest portion of the piping.
gasman
QUOTE(SLITS @ Oct 20 2009, 04:23 PM) *

With boiler off........You should have something that looks like a hose spicket on the copper line(s) at boiler returns (two spickets if two zone etc...) Above the spicket you should have a valve or a fitting with a screw in the middle. You have to lift up the water feed lever where the system feed is...(street water)it will put more water in system...close the valve above the hose spicket (or the screw flap valve) and open the hose spicket and let the water run into a bucket. do this to all zones...You should hear water filling the boiler as you bleed system. close the fresh water lever. bleed system down below 12psi..(look at gauge). The auto fill regulator will bring it back to 12 psi..Normal operating when cold. Remember..were not talking about the hose spicket at the bottom of boiler. With boiler on, you should not hear water running in the baseboard. I hope this helps....
ejm
QUOTE(SLITS @ Oct 20 2009, 08:23 PM) *

agree.gif My system has automatic air bleeds. There is a small cap that will prevent them from working if screwed down tight. They also stick once in a while and a little tap frees the valve and float. If the corrosion that made the valve stick then prevents it from sealing you find out why they provided the little cap.
Sparky
QUOTE(ejm @ Oct 20 2009, 09:23 PM) *

... you find out why they provided the little cap.

The upside is the auto-bleeders are cheap and easy to replace. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.