Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Parking Brake Light Not Going Out
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
kenshapiro2002
Well...it diminishes by about 50%. What might be up with that? The light wasn't working at all when I got the car. The switch, under the handle needed some cleaning and lube, and then operated prefectly up until my drive today. Brake seemed to be all the way released since she rolled easily on a slight incline, but the light only dimmed...didn't go off.
URY914
Check the little nipple on the switch under the handle. Sometimes it gets stuck.
zonedoubt
The light also comes on with master cylinder switch.
kenshapiro2002
Thanks. Could be low brake fluid?

QUOTE(zonedoubt @ Oct 21 2009, 02:39 PM) *

The light also comes on with master cylinder switch.

zonedoubt
Or maybe the M/C switch just needs resetting.
kenshapiro2002
Mine doesn't have a reset switch (went through this when I was having electrical glitches). I guess it's an unplug/replug to reset?

QUOTE(zonedoubt @ Oct 21 2009, 03:22 PM) *

Or maybe the M/C switch just needs resetting.

kenshapiro2002
It's "fixed"...drove the piss out of the car, throwing her around corners with utter abandon. Noticed when I git home that I'd "fixed" the light issue. Now it;s only on when the e brake is up.
piratenanner.gif
VaccaRabite
The italian tuneup fixes many things, but I did not know it worked for electrics too!

Zach
charliew
The fiero has a very similiar setup. After not using the ebrake for awhile the caliper and cable gets gummy and sometimes I have to put a heavy flashlight on the lever and drive awhile and it will finally settle back all the way down and depress the switch completely.
swl
that is a switch to ground. If you have a nick or smush in the electrical lead it will leak to ground give you partial on. Spirited driving has moved whatever was pinching it. Betcha if you follow the cable you'll find it pinched somewhere - probably in the seat rail.
kenshapiro2002
Probably right as it's now intermittent.

QUOTE(swl @ Oct 22 2009, 07:24 PM) *

that is a switch to ground. If you have a nick or smush in the electrical lead it will leak to ground give you partial on. Spirited driving has moved whatever was pinching it. Betcha if you follow the cable you'll find it pinched somewhere - probably in the seat rail.

kenshapiro2002
Close...the contact consists of a metal point, trianguar in shape, that rests in a small hole when it makes contact. The switch was "nicked" a little and didn't always seat nicely. A Dremeling of the contact surfaces, some contact cleaner, and some WD40 on the mechanism got it all fixed.

QUOTE(swl @ Oct 22 2009, 07:24 PM) *

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.