Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Caliper Cleaning?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Aaron Cox
Hey guys,

i have some M calipers that im cleaning. i want to get them clean enough to the point where i can pain them red with caliper paint (yeah i know...ricer style laugh.gif ). they are still loaded (ie pistons and seals in bore, and bleader valve in place). i tried rubbing alcohol....not very effective. brake cleaner says it eats rubber so, that's out of the question.
davep
I sandblast them, then use metal prep (phosphoric acid). Be careful of brake fluid in the sandblaster though, it ate through the rubber gloves. Rinse with alcohol after that, and before painting.
Andyrew
A wire brush, like you would use on your grill (cooking), but a little softer. a nice long one, and you can take it to bare metal, super clean like nothing. Just dont be afraid to scrub it hard. I did it on mine and they looked shiny before I painted them.

Works alot better than chemicals.

Andrew
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Mar 15 2004, 08:42 PM)
A wire brush, like you would use on your grill (cooking), but a little softer. a nice long one, and you can take it to bare metal, super clean like nothing. Just dont be afraid to scrub it hard. I did it on mine and they looked shiny before I painted them.

Works alot better than chemicals.

Andrew

thanks. ill try that
ChrisReale
QUOTE(acox914 @ Mar 15 2004, 04:42 PM)
. brake cleaner says it eats rubber so, that's out of the question.

You plan on using these without rebuilding them? Do you know the history of these calipers? I think you'd be better off rebuilding them
Rusty
If you're going to take them to the sandblaster...

1. Leave your pistons and rubber seals in place.
2. Get some cheap 6" steel brake lines. Cut them in half. Fold the cut end over and crimp shut tightly. Screw into the brake line fitting.

That should keep crap out of your calipers. I agree with previous advice, though. If you don't know the history on the calipers, rebuilding them is a good idea. Simply because they came off a running car doesn't mean squat. Who knows the last time they changed their fluid?

-Rusty smoke.gif
tat2dphreak
rebuild tem... it's cheap and easy!

to clean them... DON't Put them in a parts washer of b-12... ask me how I know...
Aaron Cox
they are very good calipers. have like 50k on them. seals look BRAND NEW! pictons are not pitted or anything. they are loaded calipers tho..... so i want to clean them and not blast them.....
Eric_Shea
Glass bead blast them. Take them to a plater. They'll plate with the seals in them. Look like brand new...
Aaron Cox
how much does "glass beading" cost? can you paint over the plating?
Eric_Shea
Most platers will have a bead blasting cabinet. It would be hourly at that point. Probably $20-30 to clean, another $20-30 to plate... why would you paint them once you plate them?

Oh... never miiiiiiiiiiiiiind
ricer style
wacko.gif
Aaron Cox
because plating is for Concourse weenies! i want red calipers! laugh.gif (pseudo "Big reds" ) no plating then!
Aaron Cox
Hey, just a public thanks to MXMARK for putting my calipers in his solvent tank and cleaning them. Thanks, beerchug.gif

Aaron

Oh and they are being rebuilt wink.gif
Greg
last year I used break cleaner and wire wheeled/ wire brushed mine before I painted them with high temp engine paint. I then baked them in my oven at 200 degrees (oh ya, my wife was not pleased.) The paint has held up just fine since then. be careful about getting brake fluid on the paint though, works just like a solvent. I think the "Mini" Reds look great.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.