Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Safety
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
Randal
Question: At what point, in your track life, should you install a fuel cell in a 914, as well as proper braided fuel lines?

My view - when you install a cage, you're getting serious, so it's time to install a fuel cell as well. Maybe before if you're pushing it..

Any major accident could easily destroy a stock tank, with major repercussions very likely.

What's your view?
john rogers
Self answering question I would say, if the racing you are going to do requires it, then yes. If it makes you feel safer, then yes. I have seen 4 or 5 914-6 GT cars from Europe that only raced with a roll bar and a brace and the fuel tank was not a cell as raced back then. Some vintage organizations require that the safety items be brought to current specs, others say it must be "as raced"?
Heeltoe914
Randell you hit it right in your question. smile.gif
john rogers
To expand a little on my answer, the fuel tank in a 914 is in about the safest place I have seen for a car. It it not hanging out the bottom ass end like I see in vintage Datsuns or Triumphs where a rear end it will damage it or rip it loose. Any wreck that would damage the stock tank is a really serious side on type of wreck that would crush that part of the car. In that case, the driver is probably in pretty bad shape also I would guess. If the tank has been replaced and moved forward like most 914 racers do as I have seen in VARA and HSR-West then an approved cell is probably the only way to go?

I bought a steel bodied fuel cell that was used when I went wheel to wheel and had the shop put in a new Fuel Safe brand bladder and foam and that was find with all the inspectors as long as I had the receipt for the bladder as that is the important part.
sww914
I agree, big sticky tires, cage, a seat and some belts, it's time for a cell and a fire system. You've made the car a lot faster and as a result it is less safe and you need to keep the safety in line with the speed.
ME733
popcorn[1].gif Randell.....You are correct in your assessment and opinion. May I add, IF anyone is going to participate in any wheel to wheel racing every major racing sanctioning body will require a fuel cell. But even if you do not plan on wheel to wheel racing....and use the car in high speed track events (with the possible exception of autocrossing..usually limited to about 75 mph.) then a fuel cell makes sense for a few reasons. 1. It can save your life as the bladder will deform, rather than split open as a stock steel tank can do. 2. The safety bladder is much less susceptable to "condensation" which creates water in the gas tank..Very Volatle high octane fuels, and additives, that some people use , exacerbate this problem. This saves you some aggrivation from water contamination. 3. A fuel cell in the "stock" location is better protected than anywhere else. I just wish they were more affordable, as I would have one in my street car already. popcorn[1].gif
grantsfo
I think it comes down to your risk tolerence. Tracks you would run are capable of inflicting solo crash that could rupture stock t
ank. What is chance that you would be involved in solo accident capable of rupturing tank? Probably not too high but do you want to be in a car if that unlikely senario occurs?

I know when I ran 8 gallons of 110 octane race fuel I always had a hieghtened sense of awareness! happy11.gif Kind of like being strapped onto a flying bomb!
Porcharu
If your asking the question you probably want to install the cell. Once the car is fast enough to make you think that it could kill you is when you stop or get serious. I scraped my old GTI track car when it started getting fast enough to pass poorly driven M3's and most Camaros and Mustangs.
Steve
Randal
QUOTE(Porcharu @ Dec 16 2009, 05:28 PM) *

If your asking the question you probably want to install the cell. Once the car is fast enough to make you think that it could kill you is when you stop or get serious. I scraped my old GTI track car when it started getting fast enough to pass poorly driven M3's and most Camaros and Mustangs.
Steve

Installed cell:

Click to view attachment
SirAndy
Looking good! smilie_pokal.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.