Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mustang Billet gas filler door installation
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Geezer914
Has anyone has installed a Mustang / F150 billet fuel door in the front hood to acess the gas filler cap without opening the hood? What needs to be done to get the rim to sit almost flush with the hood? If you just cut a hole is will sit a good 1/4" above the hood.
poorsche914
I am also interested in learning what might work best for a project like this.
popcorn[1].gif
tat2dphreak
if you want it perfectly flush, you could cut a bigger hole in the front trunk and weld in a piece with a smaller diameter on the bottom side, maybe with a spacer too... it will look like crap if the "hood" is open, but look flush when it's closed. I personally don't think it looks bad sticking up a little like the picture, and I think it's more like 1/8"

my advice would be to get a junk hood, and get the technique down where you can do it once, correctly on your car.
tracks914
I was going to do that, but for the 3-4 times a year I fuel up the car, I thought I might just as well pop the hood.
tat2dphreak
if it turned out 1/2 as nice as iamchappy's car, it would be worth it, but without a paint job to closely follow, I don't think it would be nearly as good.
flipb
I don't mean to hijacked.gif , but...

My "hood" latch can be very hard to pull. Is there maintenance for the pull cable to keep it from seizing up?
iamchappy
pics, mine sits up just a little bit but it has a beveled edge, i have been considering getting a aluminum finish
one and flat filing it to match the hoods contour.
tat2dphreak
exactly the type of piece I was talking about chappy! yours turned out very well!
Geezer914
The way the installation looks, I need to cut the hole slightly smaller than the overall diameter, allowing the bevel edge to sit in the hole. This will allow the lip of the filler door to sit as low as posible to the hood. Thanks for the pictures.
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(flipb @ Oct 26 2009, 10:44 AM) *

I don't mean to hijacked.gif , but...

My "hood" latch can be very hard to pull. Is there maintenance for the pull cable to keep it from seizing up?

Pull the cable out of the housing. Lube it up. Re-install cable. Works fine/lasts a long time.
steveherman
QUOTE(iamchappy @ Oct 26 2009, 03:12 PM) *

pics, mine sits up just a little bit but it has a beveled edge, i have been considering getting a aluminum finish
one and flat filling it to match the hoods contour.

i want more info on this.
what parts for the actual filler neck and over flow thingy?
montoya 73 2.0
Did you remove the expansion tank for another reason, or was it because of the installation of the door?
iamchappy
I just removed it for no other reason than i dont need it.
Dr Evil
Bump...I am gonna have Scotty B imitate this on my car. Consider yourself flattered smile.gif
iamchappy
After careful inspection of mine there is no hood contour even the circles i cut out of the hood are pretty darn flat, the beveled edge looks fine as is, so outside of painting the underside of the hood area, i guess I'm done.
rick 918-S
If you end up with some rock chips and have the hood repainted I would come down and hammer a step or flange in the hood sheet metal for you. smash.gif This would allow a close to flush fit. You could try a flanging tool but the step would be only about 22 GA deep.

You can hand hammer a step pretty deep if you work at it.
rtalich
QUOTE(steveherman @ Oct 26 2009, 02:13 PM) *

Bumping this question... in order to get rid on the expansion tank.
Dr Evil
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Nov 20 2009, 02:43 PM) *

If you end up with some rock chips and have the hood repainted I would come down and hammer a step or flange in the hood sheet metal for you. smash.gif This would allow a close to flush fit. You could try a flanging tool but the step would be only about 22 GA deep.

That is how I am gonna have Scotty do it. I want it flush and brushed aluminum smile.gif
Sexy.
Dr Evil
Hey Chap, what dia door did you use?
iamchappy
QUOTE(rtalich @ Nov 20 2009, 01:57 PM) *

QUOTE(steveherman @ Oct 26 2009, 02:13 PM) *

Bumping this question... in order to get rid on the expansion tank.

Just remove it, all the filler stuff is separate from it. i still ran a vapor line back to my
air intake otherwise fumes seem to migrate into the interior.
Dr Evil
And the door size ???
iamchappy
The hole i cut was 6".
Dr Evil
Thanks man. So the door you bought is a 7" dia setup? There are many sizes, but I bet the mustang has a specific size. Searching now.....
r_towle
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Nov 20 2009, 02:43 PM) *

Show off why dont you.....

Rich
iamchappy
Ok the size of the outside ring on the door unit is 6.25" my cutout circle piece was less because of the waste material in the cut.
If i was you i would purchase the door first and then measure and cut, or another option is to go to a junk yard and have them cutout a recessed fuel door area from a F150 or Mustang and weld that in or panel weld it to the underside....
Dr Evil
Interesting idea. I know I can buy fuel doors in various sizes, but I liked the scale of yours. Not too big, not to small smile.gif
Dr Evil
Here is what I will be using on my dark dark gray car smile.gif
Sleepin
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Nov 20 2009, 12:43 PM) *

I sure wish I could hammer as deep as you Rick! lol-2.gif
rick 918-S
QUOTE(Sleepin @ Nov 20 2009, 09:11 PM) *

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Nov 20 2009, 12:43 PM) *

I sure wish I could hammer as deep as you Rick! lol-2.gif

idea.gif assimilate.gif shades.gif lol-2.gif
iamchappy
Outside diameter was 6.25".
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Nov 20 2009, 09:58 PM) *

Here is what I will be using on my dark dark gray car smile.gif

Can those lids be made to open from inside the car ?
70_914
The fuel filler on the original 904 GTS race car was not flush mounted, why should the one on a 914 be?

Represent the racing pedigree with pride!

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.