Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Correct Fog Light Switch for an early-73 2L?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
Tom_T
My 73 2L was built 9/72 & first sold 11/72 in CA, but the fog lights & dash switch had been removed before I bought it in 12/75.

Is this the correct switch for that early-73 MY build, or should it be green? confused24.gif
Click to view attachment

Thanx for CW clarifications!
beerchug.gif
detoxcowboy
Tom, The answer is yellow!! Here is a link that includes pictures w/ explanations of foglights and switches plus much much more.

http://www.p914.com/p914_lenses_fog.htm
Tom_T
QUOTE(detoxcowboy @ Oct 29 2009, 07:47 PM) *

Tom, The answer is yellow!! Here is a link that includes pictures w/ explanations of foglights and switches plus much much more.

Thanx Detox, I'd forgotten about that site's info on them.

However, I was also asking to see if anyone knows about the early 1973 MY 914's, where they were using up odd bits from the parts bins.

Wondering if anyone knows a solid start mfgr. date &/or VIN where the fog lights & switch would be that stated 73-74 version at the link you gave above?? confused24.gif

My VIN is ...1954 & matching Engine GA000424 built in Sept. `72 - if that helps??

...or does it matter in my restoration, just to get it into the 73 style, regardless of VW/PAG MY change-over quirks??? confused24.gif

What is it that you're restoring up there in Santa Barbara?
detoxcowboy
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Oct 29 2009, 08:02 PM) *

However, I was also asking to see if anyone knows about the early 1973 MY 914's, where they were using up odd bits from the parts bins.

Wondering if anyone knows a solid start mfgr. date &/or VIN where the fog lights & switch would be that stated 73-74 version at the link you gave above?? confused24.gif

My VIN is ...1954 & matching Engine GA000424 built in Sept. `72 - if that helps??

...or does it matter in my restoration, just to get it into the 73 style, regardless of VW/PAG MY change-over quirks??? confused24.gif

Actually due to the recession I am back in my home town... yours. Orange Ca.. I have an early '74 2.0 #9 of that year, from what I can tell about having an early made model for a year of changes, some do and some don't have the changes. The only time I could get a verifiable question on that was re" head temp sensor but later as my knowledge grew I found that to probably be bull**** too. Think about it a bit and why would they make a limited verifiable change per chassis or engine# per post production starting. More than likely parts were not available in quantity yet. Some production sites had more than others ect.. I would not sweat the small stuff extremely fine details and such until you have conquered the bigger picture, at that point you can sweat the patina of the original shift knob vs. an NOS or quality reproduction. Having an early '74 I can technically use silver button or black button gauges; so aquiring good gauges or doing a good job restoring and functions is more important. When I am done I can sweat if I should have painted or powder coated., but in the mean time the best you can do is drive drive drive for that day may never come so enjoy the 914 for what it is, the ultimate poor mans driving machine.. Thats my word . I can tell you already know more then most on details including myself.. I digress.
Tom_T
QUOTE(detoxcowboy @ Oct 29 2009, 09:11 PM) *

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Oct 29 2009, 08:02 PM) *

Actually due to the recession I am back in my home town... yours. Orange Ca.. I have an early '74 2.0 #9 of that year, from what I can tell about having an early made model for a year of changes, some do and some don't have the changes. The only time I could get a verifiable question on that was re" head temp sensor but later as my knowledge grew I found that to probably be bull**** too. Think about it a bit and why would they make a limited verifiable change per chassis or engine# per post production starting. More than likely parts were not available in quantity yet. Some production sites had more than others ect.. I would not sweat the small stuff extremely fine details and such until you have conquered the bigger picture, at that point you can sweat the patina of the original shift knob vs. an NOS or quality reproduction. Having an early '74 I can technically use silver button or black button gauges; so aquiring good gauges or doing a good job restoring and functions is more important. When I am done I can sweat if I should have painted or powder coated., but in the mean time the best you can do is drive drive drive for that day may never come so enjoy the 914 for what it is, the ultimate poor mans driving machine.. Thats my word . I can tell you already know more then most on details including myself.. I digress.

Yeah, my guess is there were big bins of stuff & they just grabbed whatever was on top, so things got mixed up.

I've seen early ones with both the "older" green & others with the "new" amber fog light switch bezels - in the first 2000 or so of the 73 MY, about 1/4 of which were the then new 2Ls that came "fully loaded" with the Appearance & Performance Groups. Then during the 37 years since then, POs, dealers, etc. could've changed out some one way or the other.

So who the F knows!? I just got that switch in the pic above, along with a center console & gauges to recreate the one that should've been in it but was "mysteriously missing" when I bought it way back in 12/75!

And I drove the S**T out of it for 10 years & 130k mi over the 45k it had when I got it! driving.gif I'm sure I'll drive it plenty more once it's up-n-runnin'- albeit probably less miles per year now! biggrin.gif

914s were made for driving, not sitting in garages to look pretty, although I'm trying be attentive to the details & quality as I restore, repair & renovate 'er!

Yours sounds nice - is it drivable yet, or still a work in progress? confused24.gif
detoxcowboy
I like you drove it less while restoring, but that for the most part is done now. However I am taking it apart again (last time for awhile I hope) to paint. Besides it being my only car so it will get driving daily. Just took it to San Francisco area once, Santa barbara several times and Santa Cruz twice all in the last 3 or 4 months. No issues other than a vacuum hose came loose off the oil filler and my electronic ignition wire/plug in connection also came loose. Funny thing was it happened back to back in a 3 hour period. Easy find easy fix on the road. Runs like a champion does'nt burn any oil on the S.F. and back 1400 miles. Santa Cruz round trip is 1300 miles.
I will probably run into you sooner or later. Thing about restoring your only daily driver is by the time your done, or think your done, it is not perfect dings adjustments just plain old use.. By the time I got the interior done needed new carpet again ect..
Tom_T
QUOTE(detoxcowboy @ Oct 30 2009, 08:25 AM) *

I like you drove it less while restoring, but that for the most part is done now. However I am taking it apart again (last time for awhile I hope) to paint. Besides it being my only car so it will get driving daily. Just took it to San Francisco area once, Santa barbara several times and Santa Cruz twice all in the last 3 or 4 months. No issues other than a vacuum hose came loose off the oil filler and my electronic ignition wire/plug in connection also came loose. Funny thing was it happened back to back in a 3 hour period. Easy find easy fix on the road. Runs like a champion does'nt burn any oil on the S.F. and back 1400 miles. Santa Cruz round trip is 1300 miles.
I will probably run into you sooner or later. Thing about restoring your only daily driver is by the time your done, or think your done, it is not perfect dings adjustments just plain old use.. By the time I got the interior done needed new carpet again ect..

I hear ya on that, I'd spent $6500+ between 80-85 when it was my only DD in rust restoration & repaint, engine/tranny rebuilds, etc. Then in 5/85 a sorority gal "...forgot to turn left & go up the ramp..." (her words) in a UCLA parking structure while I was in MBA classes all day/night - ramming it in the back & pushing it 2 ft. forward into the concrete wall & column - thereby mashing both ends of my just restored/rebuilt 914! dry.gif

I was living in OC & running my business here, driving to UCLA for MBA work, getting married & starting a family - so after haggling with her Daddy's insurance company for 45+ days on a rental car (which they tried to deny pmt. for), I had to take the money & get a car immediately. So I got my 85 325e & put the 914 in the garage hopig to get a shell/roller/DE 914 for parts & work on it over time. Unfortunately, having a small business & raising a family meant that when I had the spare time - I didn't have the $$s & visa versa! sad.gif

So the 914 has sat in our garage "holding down blocks" since then, patiently awaiting attention for 24+ years! You can see some pix posted here:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...93838&st=60

Now that one kid is graduated from college & off on her own - except for her "extra furniture" in the garage blocking my access to jack the 914 off the blocks, & the other is finishing college. This summer we put up a metal shed to move the stuff out of the garage, house, etc., which will give me access to the 914 once all that's moved out. We've gone through all of the other family cars over the past few years (although that's always ongoing being that they're all 20_ years old/new).

So now it's the 914's turn, & I've been collected the needed parts for the past year+, & researching how best to restore/repair it for driving again, without screwing up the classic car value in it in the process. smash.gif welder.gif sawzall-smiley.gif popcorn[1].gif idea.gif biggrin.gif driving.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.