Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1973/4 914 1.7 ae motor for sale
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WTB: 914 Parts
glenn87
i bought a kit car with a 1.7 AE motor has 2 carbs, runs good. it is too big (long ) for car . i"m going to sell this motor and buy a vw motor. i will post pics later! not sure how much to ask for it .ideas ? i guess best offer after 14 days ? i'm in richmond va
Tom_T
QUOTE(glenn87 @ Oct 28 2009, 04:36 AM) *

i bought a kit car with a 1.7 AE motor has 2 carbs, runs good. it is too big (long ) for car . i"m going to sell this motor and buy a vw motor. i will post pics later! not sure how much to ask for it .ideas ? i guess best offer after 14 days ? i'm in richmond va

Glenn, the 1.7 (1695 cc) EA motor IS a VW Type IV motor, so I doubt it would fit any better in your kit car, but would be less tuned than the 914 engine.....unless you wanted to send this one to Jake Raby to jack it's power to 100+ hp! biggrin.gif

IMHO - Maybe look at modifying the kit instead.
glenn87
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Oct 28 2009, 11:49 AM) *

Glenn, the 1.7 (1695 cc) EA motor IS a VW Type IV motor, so I doubt it would fit any better in your kit car, but would be less tuned than the 914 engine.....unless you wanted to send this one to Jake Raby to jack it's power to 100+ hp! biggrin.gif

tom : the kit is a montage and the current motors fan houshing has rubbed 2 holes in rear tag panel thats why i am selling and going to the type 1 vw motor it does not have the housing and i can get over 200 hp more is better !! any thoughts on price
underthetire
A guy just sold a complete EA with injection on craigslist here. Said it had 10K since rebuild. I should have bought it...100 bucks. Not saying yours is worth more or less, just one though on price.
Tom_T
QUOTE(glenn87 @ Oct 28 2009, 08:44 PM) *

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Oct 28 2009, 11:49 AM) *

tom : the kit is a montage and the current motors fan houshing has rubbed 2 holes in rear tag panel thats why i am selling and going to the type 1 vw motor it does not have the housing and i can get over 200 hp more is better !! any thoughts on price

Not sure Glenn on 1.7s, but I've seen the more desireable 2L cores at $500 up & full supposedly running engines at $1000 & up - the 1.7s are always less. Google for that & see what folks are asking now for 1.7's, which is less than even just 6 months ago due to the bad economy.

IMHO - the Type IV is a far better & stronger, more advanced & reliable engine, with more upper limit capacity for up-building. It's by far preferred by most over the T-1, unless you're jamming it into a Bug.

Google for Jake Raby's "MassIVe" upbuilt Type IVs in GA, FAT Performance's here in Orange CA, etc. They're able to build anything from hot street engines at 110-165 hp (depeding on the build & fuel system), up to Racers at 250+ hp out of the T-4s! driving.gif blink.gif biggrin.gif drooley.gif

As with everything, it's how much you want to pay for the mill! huh.gif

Fiberglass is easy & cheap to modify to adapt to fit a better hot engine, & if it were me - I'd just move/adjust the rear tag frame out to accommodate a Raby 2270 or 2314 or more!

Cheers & Good Luck!
beerchug.gif
OU8AVW
I have a couple of type 1s laying around, interested in a trade? I would probably rebuild either one of them but all the bits are there. The one you want is a 1600 dual port.
I'm in Annapolis, 443-994-6460
Mike
RJMII
QUOTE(glenn87 @ Oct 28 2009, 09:44 PM) *

You could get rid of the fan housing and go with a DTM kit...

http://www.aircooledtechnology.com/store/m...anufacturerid=1

look at the different Type IV DTM kits that are there. just an idea...

as for the value of a 1.7; that's what I was looking at your ad for. I've got parts of a 1.7 that I'm trying to figure out how much they are worth.
glenn87
QUOTE(OU8AVW @ Oct 29 2009, 02:29 PM) *

I have a couple of type 1s laying around, interested in a trade? I would probably rebuild either one of them but all the bits are there. The one you want is a 1600 dual port.
I'm in Annapolis, 443-994-6460
Mike

THANKS TOM i saw massive web site liked what i saw but gotta wait till i get home to check out prices and whole site dang web blockers smash.gif glenn
sean_v8_914
TYPE 4 1.7 is the most durable. stock it was 85hp.
glenn87
pic of motor Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.