Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Evaluate My Crack
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
kenshapiro2002
This crack is so perfect it's hard to believe it's a crack...more like a two piece dash or the result of laying out coke lines gone bad. Other than this crack, the dash is uncracked. Whattaya think? Any solutions other than replacement or a nice racing stripe of electrical tape? lol-2.gif

Also, it's "chalky" on top and stuff like ArmourAll won't make it black again. Any solutions other than removing and spraying?
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
JazonJJordan
Zee hav' a surgeon' saboteur' in zee ga'rage! dry.gif (roll theme song of the PinkPanther...dunDun-DaDah..dunDun-DaDah.. laugh.gif )
URY914
I almost didn't open this thread.
JazonJJordan
biggrin.gif -almost..
QUOTE(URY914 @ Oct 28 2009, 01:01 PM) *

kenshapiro2002
You either do or do not...you did. piratenanner.gif

Shade Tree
Bondo Back to Black will make it black again. It's almost like liquid shoe polish and goes on with a supplied sponge. I used it on my bumper pads and targa top. It worked great.
thompson-mfr
QUOTE(Shade Tree @ Oct 28 2009, 12:19 PM) *

Bondo Back to Black will make it black again. It's almost like liquid shoe polish and goes on with a supplied sponge. I used it on my bumper pads and targa top. It worked great.

Are you saying fill the crack with bondo, then use the back to black?

I have a crack in my dash as well that isn't that bad that I would like to fill.
bandjoey
FLAP Vinyl Repair Kit
flipb
The 914 crack slasher bandit must reside in the DC metro area. Mine has an almost identical split in the same spot. Mine's sort of diagonal, the bandit must've been a little sloshed.
scotty b
QUOTE(kenshapiro2002 @ Oct 28 2009, 11:13 AM) *

You either do or do not...you did. piratenanner.gif

That depends on what your definiton of " almost " is

kenshapiro2002
Bought the Permatex kit from the FLAP a few hours ago. Ill let you know how it turns out.
Bruce Allert
With a title like that I HAD to open it! bootyshake.gif
rick 918-S
QUOTE(kenshapiro2002 @ Oct 29 2009, 02:37 PM) *

Bought the Permatex kit from the FLAP a few hours ago. Ill let you know how it turns out.

I'm not sure I want to ask this. unsure.gif Did you get your crack filled? popcorn[1].gif shades.gif
GeorgeRud
If it doesn't work out to your satisfaction, Morphenspectra does have a dash recovering service available. You obviously have to remove and ship him the dash, but it's cheaper than having to try to find a NOS one, and certainly more professional than a dashtopper cover (which have always looked quite cheesy to my eye). I've never had one done by him, but if the quality is as nice as his other parts, it should work out very nicely.
kenshapiro2002
Said I'd let you know...be patient grasshopper. lol-2.gif
I've done step#1...filled my crack with this adhesive gap filler stuff. The next step is to apply the black vinyl and apply hear on the outside of a matching grain template. Probably not for a few days. Had to set up for Halloween, and do some other work on the car. I'll be back.

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Oct 30 2009, 03:00 PM) *

QUOTE(kenshapiro2002 @ Oct 29 2009, 02:37 PM) *

I'm not sure I want to ask this. unsure.gif Did you get your crack filled? popcorn[1].gif shades.gif

kenshapiro2002
And how do I find him?

QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Oct 30 2009, 03:36 PM) *

If it doesn't work out to your satisfaction, Morphenspectra does have a dash recovering service available. You obviously have to remove and ship him the dash, but it's cheaper than having to try to find a NOS one, and certainly more professional than a dashtopper cover (which have always looked quite cheesy to my eye). I've never had one done by him, but if the quality is as nice as his other parts, it should work out very nicely.

Bruce Allert
Here ya go.....

for any questions about any of our item please e mail us @ hjhl@worldnet.att.net
or you can call james at (503)551-6191.
www.914ap.com

......b
kenshapiro2002
Well...it filled it in, but it's still too visible for me. I need to "color" the dash but don't really want to remove it for spraying. Love to find a rub, or brush on vinyl paint...not simply a "Back To Black" product. Here's the "Before" and "After":
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
VaccaRabite
Ken, just put a dash cap on it.

You can't tell its there until you touch it, if you get a nice one.

Zach
kenshapiro2002
Who makes a "nice one". Also...what's with the dashes I see that have stitching on them? Is that a later model or just aftermarket customizing?

QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Nov 2 2009, 09:04 PM) *

Ken, just put a dash cap on it.

You can't tell its there until you touch it, if you get a nice one.

Zach

VaccaRabite
I got my cap via ebay.

The stitched dashes are custom lether instead of vinyl. And they are spendy.

You can also send your dash to Camp914 for recover, but it is also spendy, but less spendy then custom leather.

Dash cap ~$80
Camp914 ~$450 I think
handstitched... ~$Texas

You could try to rub in black shoe polish on your dash to see if it would stain it right. Might, or might not.

Zach
kenshapiro2002
Have a picture of your cap installed? Yeah...the guy on eBay that has the talking ad?

QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Nov 2 2009, 10:01 PM) *

I got my cap via ebay.

The stitched dashes are custom lether instead of vinyl. And they are spendy.

You can also send your dash to Camp914 for recover, but it is also spendy, but less spendy then custom leather.

Dash cap ~$80
Camp914 ~$450 I think
handstitched... ~$Texas

You could try to rub in black shoe polish on your dash to see if it would stain it right. Might, or might not.

Zach

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.