Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: FS: Oil Cooler - Sold
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WTB: 914 Parts
914rrr
SOLD!!

Click to view attachment
914rrr
Q: Is the check valve assembly in the sandwich plate a thermostat or ?????

Click to view attachment
Mark Henry
It's a relief valve, it will open if the filter is plugged or cold oil by-pass so it won't pop the can.
If you look at a stock filter mount it has the same deal.
914rrr
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Oct 28 2009, 10:42 PM) *

It's a relief valve, it will open if the filter is plugged or cold oil by-pass so it won't pop the can.
If you look at a stock filter mount it has the same deal.

Thank you!! beerchug.gif
pilothyer
Hey guys....I think I do like the idea of aux cooling in the summer when I need it and shelving it for the winter when I don't......yep I'll take it. Jerry
bdstone914
QUOTE(pilothyer @ Oct 28 2009, 07:06 PM) *

Hey guys....I think I do like the idea of aux cooling in the summer when I need it and shelving it for the winter when I don't......yep I'll take it. Jerry

I have worked for an oil cooler company for 25 years and wold like to add my $.02.

The ball and spring are a pressure relief to avoid a pressure drop to the engine when the pressure drop across the oil cooler circuit is more than 7-10 PSI. The oil filter also has a pressure relief to prevent excess pressure to the filter. The pressure relief is very necessary on that type serpentine cooler as they have a high pressure drop due to the long flow path. Much of the oils will bypass through that hole in normal operation.

The adapter appears to be one made by the company I work for in the 1980's. They are OK adapters. Be aware that is will extend you oil filter 1-5/8" down and reduces ground clearance. I installed an cooler using that adapter type adapter to the engine lid grill and removed the rain tray. I used a more efficient cooler type and reduced the oil temp by 30 degrees F.

Inspect the hoses for any sign of hardening or cracking. Replace them if needed with a hose that is rated for oil cooling and will handle at least 250 degrees F.

Be aware that you want your oil temp in the 180-210 F range. There is no substitute for a oil temp gauge with numbers.

Rather than remove the cooler in cold temps it is easier to block the airflow to it.

And that is all I have to say about that.

F. Gump

914rrr
Still available...Thanks!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.