Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Trans rebuild cost? and someplace good to do it... In SoCal please.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
WolfR32
I'm in Ventura looking for someplace to check my trans... with out breaking the bank dry.gif

Any suggestions...
Dominic
QUOTE(WolfR32 @ Oct 29 2009, 01:26 AM) *

I'm in Ventura looking for someplace to check my trans... with out breaking the bank dry.gif

Any suggestions...

Do it yourself! It's not very hard with the right tools and the factory manual or a haynes manual to follow. Do you have a clean workbench/area to open the transaxle up?
You can probably borrow most of the specialized tools that you may need.
WolfR32
QUOTE(Dominic @ Oct 29 2009, 01:55 AM) *

QUOTE(WolfR32 @ Oct 29 2009, 01:26 AM) *

Any suggestions...

Do it yourself! It's not very hard with the right tools and the factory manual or a haynes manual to follow. Do you have a clean workbench/area to open the transaxle up?
You can probably borrow most of the specialized tools that you may need.

Nope... don't really have any space to do any work like that...
smontanaro
I've heard Dr. Evil does that sort of thing when he's not removing tonsils or rebuilding knees (or whatever the hell it is he does when he should really be working on transmissions)...

Skip
scotty b
Your absolute best and cheapest way to get your trans done and YOU get to do it yourself with professional guidance. If a trip north is out of the question, tallk to Mike about doing a So-Cal clinic. Hell I may even make that trip with him and spend a few extra days idea.gif

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=98310
sean_v8_914
he just did a clinic at Heeltoe's house...or you could throw it on a Greyhound bus to San Diego. I just did 4 boxes. the best part was that while inspecting cores I found:
a short 2nd (E)
S gear and an H gear
sean_v8_914
this guys first gear was brutalized
sean_v8_914
woof! poor old dog had to gum his food
sean_v8_914
electric car special box
sean_v8_914
this box will never get greasy again
WolfR32
QUOTE(scotty b @ Oct 29 2009, 05:48 AM) *

Your absolute best and cheapest way to get your trans done and YOU get to do it yourself with professional guidance. If a trip north is out of the question, tallk to Mike about doing a So-Cal clinic. Hell I may even make that trip with him and spend a few extra days idea.gif

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=98310

That would be cool but I don't know if there are enough SoCal people that would like to do it, or if he has the extra time...
Dr Evil
Wolf,
Contact T H O M A S (that is how to spell it if you PM him). He is pretty local and a great tranz wrench smile.gif
WolfR32
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Oct 29 2009, 11:03 PM) *

Wolf,
Contact T H O M A S (that is how to spell it if you PM him). He is pretty local and a great tranz wrench smile.gif

I will Thanks! beerchug.gif
Krieger
Call Ottos in Venice beach. He has done 3 boxes for me over the years. He is good and fast. He has all the parts.
GeorgeRud
Ditto on Otto's.

John can be a cranky fellow some days, but he certainly knows his stuff.

Cap'n Krusty
I do 'em too, and I'm in Santa Maria. Lemme warn you, before it comes apart and no matter who does the work, cheap ain't in the cards. They usually need a couple of bearings, a coup[le of synchros, maybe some dog teeth, a first gear slider, and the parts add up REALLY quickly.

The Cap'n
Twystd1
Sean Malloy in the Sandiego area is also a good tranny builder... Thats his work in the above postings.

C
brer
I'll second Sean V8. Was just at his shop this morning looking at 3 gear stacks and his fixtures and discussing my trans.
oldschool
QUOTE(sean_v8_914 @ Oct 29 2009, 06:32 AM) *

electric car special box

Sean I just had my olds trans rebuilt around $1800. headbang.gif or more the dude said I need motor mounts also, he also painted the trans is that why it cost so munch hissyfit.gif
sean_v8_914
oh yeah, that magic paint will get ya evey time.
OT: yall ever seen that Olds Toronado tranverse transaxle? it was FWD but I saw it ina mid engined Kelmark Dino kit. I thought it was clunky looking but interesting.

isnt crusty in driving distance?

the eelectric shold be driving in a few weeks, Im so excited to see that
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.