914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Jenny
http://www.cannillomotorsports.com/invento.../1970914gt.html

Purty... wub.gif

Jen
Ferg
Nice, but that exhaust is a ankle burn waiting to happen! ohmy.gif
richardL
Isn't this the one in the thread where it turns out not to be a real M471 car and in fact might even be built on a /4 body? Someone bought it and it won't align properly even?

If I'm wrong, I apologize in advance

It certainly looks pretty.

Richard
tat2dphreak
QUOTE(Ferg @ Mar 16 2004, 03:41 PM)
Nice, but that exhaust is a ankle burn waiting to happen! ohmy.gif

those are about 12" too long, at least!

other than that, it's VERY NICE! but I thought we decided no '70 6ers had Black paint stock?
Qarl
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...t=ST&f=2&t=9995

Sounds like nice B.S... same car, hacked together (from the info that we've been able to "piece together")

Text in the ad...

>>1970 Porsche 914-6. Excellent Condition. This Porsche is the Ultra rare 914-6GT. The VIN# is 9140430116.What makes the car so special is the M-471 package from the factory which included front and rear steel flared fenders and light weight balsa/fibre hood and trunk lids and more.....This is a homologation special that was built by Porsche to take the 914 racing. This is not a clone but the real thing! The car has spent it's whole life racing and was recently professionally restored to a very high standard. The car is awesome with the factory Carrera racing seats and the 220hp 2ltr. flat 6 not the 110hp engine from the 911T. $34,500. Call for more details.
<<
Chris H.
QUOTE(richardL @ Mar 16 2004, 04:00 PM)
Isn't this the one in the thread where it turns out not to be a real M471 car and in fact might even be built on a /4 body? Someone bought it and it won't align properly even?

If I'm wrong, I apologize in advance

It certainly looks pretty.

Richard

That definitely looks like the same car....

Here's the original discussion(s)

Black 6
SirAndy
QUOTE(richardL @ Mar 16 2004, 02:00 PM)

yupp, that's the one ...
TimT
Yeap, that car is in our (my friends shop) as I type....Ive got a bunch of helpful info from you guys as I am a 914 ignoramus....

Its nice looking, and very clean, it is however tweaked to the point that is can barely be aligned. I was at the shop when it was on the visualiner and the numbers couldnt be made to work...

I wonder why Mike has it on his site, given all the problems?

Jen how did you find canillos website?

heres a tasty lil tidbit

from a 1991 Pano
djm914-6
HEY!!! THAT"S MY CAR!!!! (I think) ohmy.gif

I'll need to go home to check my VIN numbers, but I believe the person in that add is the guy I bought my car from. The story is dead nuts on for my car too! Something smells even more fishy. bs.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(djm914-6 @ Mar 16 2004, 02:43 PM)
HEY!!! THAT"S MY CAR!!!! (I think) ohmy.gif

I'll need to go home to check my VIN numbers, but I believe the person in that add is the guy I bought my car from. The story is dead nuts on for my car too! Something smells even more fishy. bs.gif

you probably got the other half of the /6 and the /4 unsure.gif
Jenny
QUOTE(TimT @ Mar 16 2004, 02:37 PM)
Jen how did you find canillos website?

confused24.gif My bf sent it to me. I guess he's got time to burn at work! confused24.gif

I'm a bit embarassed that it's been discussed here before. But, really, what 914 related topic has not been beaten to death here, right? smash.gif smash.gif

Jen
GWN7
I missed it the first time, so it's new info for me. I see the pictures of the dealership showroom has 4 914's, but their inventory page only lists 2?
East coaster
This is the car I posted a couple weeks back with pics from the Atlantic City Classic car show. I thought something was hokey about the 914-4 steering column and no provision for the hand throttle. It also had fiberglass flares not metal as stated in the add. It actually looked pretty good and I wouldn't have turned down a set of keys for an afternoon, but 26K.......Ouch!!!!!!

It also had a funky set of turn signal lense gaskets (looked homemade) and no targa to windsheild seal at all. When I asked the rep if I could check out the motor, he opened the trunk! I said never mind! lol3.gif
djm914-6
Well, I just dug out the bill of sale for my car... vin # 4702907919 for the selling price of $5k. That means that someone bought the very bent /6 tub with none of the original parts on it. I've always wondered what happened to the /6, now I know. Some sucker sunk a ton of money into it to produce a car that shouldn't have been built. From what the PO had told me, the /6 was so severly damaged that he just stripped it and sent the hulk off. If I remember correctly, he said the /6 lost at least 2' off it's front.

I'd still say that I got the better end of the stick. I got a straight /4 chassis with all factory /6 parts. The other guy got a poor /6 chassis with a bunch of /4 parts. I even got the other cars floor pan, battery tray and dash.

So that means that the black car started out green.
URY914
What a story. laugh.gif
TimT
The car is at my friends shop, the new owner is in has started litigation against the seller..

While it is apparent that this cars history has been documented as a salvage build or something. Id like to get the facts as well sorted as possible. I have a scan from a 1991 Pano, does anyone have the actual Pano they wouldnt mind parting with?

DJM would you put something in writing that could be used??

Im gathering info for my friend and the new owner...... when the car was sold in '91 it was advertised as a rebuild, after DJM owned it who knows what happened to it..... then it surfaces as a 914-6GT

You have all been super helpful......
URY914
1991 Pano, does anyone have the actual Pano

What month? I'll give it to you.

Paul
TimT
Paul, thanks... I have to find out which month.. Im to lazy to search the other thread right now though..

I just tossed a few box fulls of Panos LOL
djm914-6
Oh this is getting good!!

I just went back and reread the other threads. This is better than any soap opera. BTW, I never owned the /6, just the conversion bought in 2000.
URY914
I've got 14 years of those things. sad.gif
Need a way to unload them.
davep
Get a copy of the website, I did. Save the pages as an archive (mht) to show how it is being portrayed. Spent its life as a race car? Where is a D6 CAT when you need one? Do an ownership trace and get documentation from every willing owner.
Best of luck, and keep us posted. beer.gif
TimT
dudes and dudettes

that add on the canillo motorsport website was prepared before the cars heritage fell apart...basically the new owner got beer goggles... thought he was buying a piece of history.. We all know the car isnt what the last buyer represented it as..

So far I have Pano adds from '91... someone who owned the 914/4 part in '00..

Can I ask you all to NOT email canillo protesting the lineage of the car. or any other sort of witty questions?

large sums of money were involved...

again thank you all

beer.gif
richardL
I have a feeling that the ad by Canillo (or similar) was protested when it first appeared - I recall an ad for a 914-6GT that Lawrence (Rusty) contacted and he changed the ad. Maybe it was another similar deal, but I suspect it was the same person - you might want to search for that thread as it would show for certain that he knew what he had to sell.

Richard
jtf914
Wow...Great story, this is something that could only be pieced together on this board. From Dave's second hand description of the -6 and the fact that the "GT" has the ignition in the wrong place it sounds like maybe only the serial numbers were stolen (The one good piece Dave didn't get from the car laugh.gif ).

If a -4 column was mounted on a -6 dash (assuming it is a -6 tub and the dash wasn't cut out) then there should be holes in the dash for the -6 ignition and the shear bolts which hold it on.

In addition, people have posted differences in the -6 dash which accommadate for the 911 steering column (maybe someone can explain how to see the differences).

If it's a -6 tub (or an early -4), it won't have the recessed areas for the retractable seat belts.

If it's a -6 tub (or an early -4), it won't have the extra brace in the front of the front trunk.

Obviously, check the engine mount and see if it's an original mount (Or any evidnece that the -4 mounts were removed).

Anyone know of other tub differences between early and late tubs, or -4 and -6 tubs??

-Justin
Bleyseng
Also the jack mounts which are difference on early 4-6's and later 4's.

Yes, the bracket that the steering column mounts to is different on a 6 vs a 4.

What about the bell crank on the tranny?

The heat shield should be attached by screws not welded on.

Geoff
djm914-6
I got the /6 dash too!

If this GT look is the original chassis for that VIN, I would look for green paint somewhere. I can't imagine anyone would fully strip a bent tub without making sure it could be made right again. If it can't be aligned, it's not right. Having read all of the various posts on this car, I pretty sure it the donor for my car. I placed a call to the PO to see if he could shed some light. Maybe he'll call back.
jtf914
QUOTE(djm914-6 @ Mar 16 2004, 08:09 PM)
I even got the other cars floor pan, battery tray and dash.

OK, well forget that idea.... I thought you meant the dash pad, not the WHOLE dash. No wonder that car has a column out of a -4. Did you get the original engine mount too??

TimT please give this guy a beer before you break all this news to him...... beer3.gif

-Justin
djm914-6
I spoke with the PO of my car tonight. He said he sold the /6 tub to a gentleman for $500. He tracked the car to one other person in Maine then lost it. Bob said he'll stop by here for a visite and may even post some pics of the wrecked car.
TimT
Oh the other guy already knows, he is starting litigation, with the amount of evidence the seller might be wise to return the money.. interesting to keep track of the car and see what it is when it surfaces again idea.gif
Spot
Hi all -

I'm the previous owner of Dave's '70 /6 conversion. I just talked to him tonight, and am sorry to hear that some subsequent owner of the old original /6 tub has been misrepresented it as a GT.

Here are the facts that I know:

I bought the /6 (914 043 0116) as an insurance salvage sometime in the mid-late 80s (don't remember the exact date). It was obviously totalled, but the engine ran, so I paid (I think) $3000 for it from a garage in Boston. It seemed to be an original 6 (correct VIN for a 6, key in dash, front motor mount attached to firewall). However it was trashed: wrecked with a frontal impact; passenger compartment was collapsed about 6" (side frame rails bent); badly rusted floorpan; filled with trash (old papers, cassette tapes, empty beer cans, some home-rolled substance in the ashtray, etc.). Big head impact in the windshield, and the steering wheel had collapsed from the driver hitting it, but no blood apparent so hopefully the driver wasn't too badly off. The firewall had been pushed forward a few inches from mass of the engine pushing forward during impact. From the firewall back, it wasn't in bad shape. The VIN was visible on the front wheelwell; I recall seeing it in one other place but couldn't recall where it was until reading this thread. There *was* a service receipt in it from a garage on Long Island where the previous owner had had it serviced. The car had regular 914 fenders (no flares), steel hood and trunk, etc. BTW the wreck was green when I bought it, and was obviously green from the factory.

I took some black&white photos of it when I bought the wreck. I've only found three that I'd scanned. I suppose I could look for more. I don't recall if I took any of the VIN, but it is possible. I don't know where I might have put them, but I'm pretty sure I didn't throw them away. wink.gif Here are the three I have readily available:

Wreck 1
Wreck 2
Floorpan Rust

I toyed with the idea of repairing the 6 chassis, but it was too much for me so I decided to buy a clean 4 chassis and do the transplant. I found one up in Maine, of all places; it was a 1970, 4-cyl. Ran fine, but the clutch slipped. Most importantly, the body was in good shape. I did the transplant (engine/trans, suspension/brakes, dash, hand throttle, washer pump, the works). All *except* the front motor mount and the VIN... Sorry Dave, but at least it saved you some money! smile.gif I sold the 4cyl engine+tranny to someone building a Bradley GT, of all things. wink.gif I gave away all the rest of the 4-cyl parts (suspension, etc.) since I'm sure nobody would have paid money for them. All that was left of the /6 was just the bent body. Everything, and I mean *EVERYTHING* that could be removed or unbolted, was.

I ended up selling the /6 hulk for $500 (as Dave mentioned). The person who bought it ended up selling it to another person who talked about building it into a 916 replica. After that, I lost touch of that chassis (until now!).

I had tried to sell the conversion through the Pano ad when I moved to a small apartment and lost my garage. I ended up getting other garage space, so I kept the car until 2000 when I sold it (as a converted 4-cyl) to Dave. Funny, I don't recall offering the /6 chassis for sale with the converted car, but now I do have some small recollection of contacting the person who bought the /6 chassis from me to see if he'd be willing to sell it with my converted car. Apparently he was willing, and that's why I offered both for sale in the ad.

I'm taken aback by the claim in the "914/6 GT" ad saying 9140430116 had been "raced all its life". It had clearly been driven (and trashed) as a regular street car before it was totalled and sold to me.

Sorry, this post has turned into a small novel. wink.gif I'll try to look for more photos and documentation.

Cheers,
- Bob Tillman
rhodyguy
this is a good story. i wonder what he drove in to. do you think they just cut the front end off and welded on a dif one? somebody's ass is in the wringer. it sounds you guys will have lots to talk about at breakfast when you all get called to testify.

kevin
jtf914
Hey Bob,

Welcome to the board. Those photo's are a little hard to take sad.gif , but thanks for sharing you're piece of this puzzle.

I wonder if the seller is a member here or if he's following this thread at all........

-Justin
Porsche Rescue
I may be a little confused about the sequence of owners here, but did the current owner get the car from Carillo Motor Sports? Seems to me from the ad that Jen posted that they are the deep pockets to get into. A dealer should know better.
TimT
Bob thanks for shedding some light on this.

To recap for those a bit confused, Canillo now owns the car, he brought it to our (my friends shop) for a going over. We noticed pretty quickly that something was amiss about the car, so I turned to the braintrust here to figure out what was going on, clearly it isnt a 914/6GT, which it was advertised as. We broke the news to Canillo that the cars wasnt what it was advertised as.. Thats when it all began

We are not sure its even a real six, although it does have a /6 vin.

Having seen the pics of the wrecked 6 tub, I would have written the car off. Somone could have welded a new front clip on, but with the engine being pushed forward would it be worth it repair the car? The amount of work to put a wreck like that back to roadworthy condition would be tremendous.

Possibly someone took the windshield vin tag and put it on another tub.
FWIW the windshield vin was the only identifying number we could on the car..no door jab tags, no number in the front trunk, nothing in the rear trunk.. nothing scribbled under the dash...

Canillo is a good guy, he just recently opened his business, and as I mentioned before he got "beer goggles" when he looked at this car.... didnt know enough about Porsches etc.., He approached the seller wanted to return the car, and get his money back.... The seller refused... hence the litigation.

The car is now at another shop that is more expert in documenting historical cars ( or not so historical)

Again thanks alll for the help... Ill keep you posted beer.gif
krk
Tim,

There are lots of relatively extreme body things that can be done. If you look in the P-manual, they expected to see people doing some of them -- cut lines are given, etc. Those were days where labor was cheap and exotic repairs considered possible. So having a 914 P-car body manual beside you as you examine may be of some use.

VIN replacement is considered a no-no. (duh)

There should be a vin stamped on the top of the passenger front fender. The windshield VIN was put on for North America. If there isn't a vin, there should be a flat spot for it. If the vin was ground out, the flat spot may be hollowed a bit, indicating forgery. If it's really flat with no number, the number may be there but filled with bondo prior to paint. Stripping may tell the story. (now, some folks have been known to cut and weld in the VIN piece of that fender -- that takes more work, but can likely be discovered as well)

If the front clip was welded on, I'd bet you can find where. You may have to grind or strip, but you can prolly find it. Other measurements will be your friend as well. If this body is the one from the pics -- which took a pretty good thump! -- it would be tough to get rid of every ripple, and to get each and every body measurement to line up. (Did you take the rockers off? It's harder to make seemless the things that have contour.)

There are lots of ways of identifying a correct /6 body -- brad, Quarl and others have pointed them out before and know them much bettter than I do. An easy one -- look at the holes for the return lines to the oil tank. They should be pressed steel -- the cut line of pressed steel is hard to mimic with a hole saw. (brad showed me that one) Getting other 914/body experts involved is a good move.

It sucks to purchase something that is not what was represented. I wish you (or your friend) the best of luck in recovery.

kim.
TimT
Editing cuz It needed to be edited laugh.gif
krk
Hey Tim,

Didn't mean nothing by it -- you clearly know more about it than I do! But I'd be a dork if I didn't offer my two painfully earned bits if it might help.

Best of luck on the car.

kim.
TimT
Kim beerchug.gif I obviously got caught at a bad moment.. peace
krk
Hey Tim,

No worries man. Hey, I didn't take your original comments poorly -- yeh, I'd've dropped half my earlier post if I'd known more about you! Sheesh -- I'm glad you're on the bbs -- the voice of BTDT is a big part of this online community and I'm guessing you'll have some very choice bits to add on other threads. (when I bitch about my /6 engine, feel free to comment!)

And I meant the earlier "best of luck" comment -- bad transactions suck and I'm pretty sure this board will be more than happy to contrib to setting things right.

Or at least we'll make fun, and tell bad jokes. mueba.gif

beerchug.gif

kim.
seanery
If I remember correctly, Kim you went through a butchered chasis as well, right?
TimT
You guys are the braintrust of 914's

I bought mine because I had a void in my Porsche life( my 911 was morphing)... and the car I bought was well known to me.. (one of my instructors rides)...so I had a 914 in my posessesion... and I found youz guys..

I havent looked back..
krk
QUOTE(seanery @ Mar 18 2004, 06:12 PM)
If I remember correctly, Kim you went through a butchered chasis as well, right?

You're memory is completely wrong. headbang.gif Really. It must be beer. headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif

Yeh, I have an ongoing adventure that will never completely go my way. But I do appreciate you mentioning it. wub.gif

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

In funny ways, it may play into my future plans in a much biigger way than I envisioned. And positively. But that's for another thread.

kim.
Bleyseng
Kim has the pushmepullyou 6, Sean that Brad posted about last year.
krk
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Mar 18 2004, 06:57 PM)
Kim has the pushmepullyou 6, Sean that Brad posted about last year.

There are two at my house. We only now speak of Mr. Silver.

love, kim.

heh heh heh.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.