Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 GT clone update
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rfuerst911sc
Well boys and girls today another step towards completing my almost 3 year project. After I got home from work today I loaded up the car onto the trailer. Tomorrow she goes to my mechanic to finalize engine wiring ( 3.0 ),shift linkage and a list of items I just didn't want to deal with. Contrary to the opinion of some I had no problem with the oil cooler getting in the way going onto the trailer. biggrin.gif The Harbor Freight winch pulled her up quite easily. I am very happy how she is turning out so far and can't wait to hear that 3.0 roar. Many thanks to so many people on this forum and a special thanks to TC and Brian Cheney for helping me install the engine and tranny. The color is Berber Yellow L11D in case your wondering.
jsayre914
Yellow looks fast biggrin.gif

nice job
URY914
I would rather see you run the hold down straps thru the wheels and not to the body. With the tires/wheels held firmly to the trailer the body of the car can move freely on the suspension.

BTW - that car looks fantastic!
rfuerst911sc
QUOTE(URY914 @ Oct 29 2009, 05:18 PM) *

I would rather see you run the hold down straps thru the wheels and not to the body. With the tires/wheels held firmly to the trailer the body of the car can move freely on the suspension.

BTW - that car looks fantastic!

The car pics were taken before I was done with the straps. The ones in the pics are attached to the modified shock mounts for the 75 bumpers. I removed the shocks and welded up custom tubes with nuts welded on the ends. The tow hooks are FIA rated stainless steel and they screw into the welded nuts and are locked down with another nut and washer. In addition I have a strap on each corner going thru the wheels. This is the first time I've had her on the trailer so I'm learning. I know you are a pro on these so I'm curious is there a specific issue with what I have done with the straps ? I do value your opinion on this as I am new to towing cars. Thanks
GeorgeRud
I'd also suggest you use the wheels for your tiedowns. They won't pull out or break off.

As the car bounces on the trailer, the tiedown points will be put under stress repeatadly as the car's suspension moves.
bcheney
What a great day indeed...I'm sure you are very excited to make the first run...I want to witness that!! I plan to stop by the shop next week to see the progress. EXCELLENT work Sir!!!!!!
URY914
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Oct 29 2009, 08:04 PM) *

I'd also suggest you use the wheels for your tiedowns. They won't pull out or break off.

As the car bounces on the trailer, the tiedown points will be put under stress repeatadly as the car's suspension moves.

A+

Let the car's suspension absorb the movement of the trailer. I've gotten it to this debate many times.
Justinp71
Looks good!

I'm getting my car painted soon and I'm debating painting the top... it looks good.
steveherman
VROOM! VROOM!
rfuerst911sc
QUOTE(Justinp71 @ Oct 29 2009, 09:58 PM) *

Looks good!

I'm getting my car painted soon and I'm debating painting the top... it looks good.

Targa tops are so cheap used in my opinion why not have one of each? One painted and one black. That's what I'm going to do as this roller came with 2 tops.
rfuerst911sc
QUOTE(URY914 @ Oct 29 2009, 07:15 PM) *

QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Oct 29 2009, 08:04 PM) *

A+

Let the car's suspension absorb the movement of the trailer. I've gotten it to this debate many times.

Sounds like this is the way to go. I will start doing it that way. Thanks
jtf914
Beautiful! This has been a great project to watch...
tat2dphreak
looks like it's going 100mph stand still.. awesome job!
rfuerst911sc
Thanks for the positive feedback guys, it makes the countless hours of work seem worth it. I took the car to work today as I was going to leave from work to go to my mechanic. First off the security guard held me at the entrance so he could chat about the car biggrin.gif . Then once I parked my " rig " people started coming up to me in the parking lot saying what a cool car it was ! Then when I sent an email to my co-worker car friends there was a parade of people in the parking lot, not much productivity today biggrin.gif . Then to top it off when I dropped the car off at my mechanics shop everyone was impressed with the car.....today was a great day. beerchug.gif
JRust
Awesome! Looks great man. Are they metal flares or glass? Whichever they are you did a great job on them. aktion035.gif
rfuerst911sc
QUOTE(JRust @ Oct 30 2009, 06:26 PM) *

Awesome! Looks great man. Are they metal flares or glass? Whichever they are you did a great job on them. aktion035.gif

Jrust they are metal flares. I got in on the last AA group buy. I was scared to death that I wasn't going to get them centered correctly. But with the sketches available with dimensions and visually looking at them I'm happy how I did. I've never done this type of work and probably never will again biggrin.gif . It is a LOT of work to do these right. Plus my friend that did the body prep and paint spent what seemed like weeks block sanding to get them perfect. beerchug.gif
EdwardBlume
Nice car dude! The only problem is that you haven't posted more pictures... chair.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.