Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Re: Building a 2056
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
swood
Anyone know if the KB pistons that one would buy for a 1911 (stock 1.8L con rod) are different than what one would buy for a 2.0L con rod? Is the wrist pin height diff? Just wondering if I need to exchange the pistons I now have.

Also, what is the consensus on what cam and size of carbs?

Thanks.
Mark Henry
IIRC pin hight is different, with 2.0 crank and rods the jugs will stick out the top .
sww914
Mark is right, the pin height is different to accommodate the different stroke. A pair of 40's is just right unless you're running high compression and huge cam and big valves. You will never be happy with carbs that are too big. Read the intended use descriptions of the cams on the manufacturers websites and listen to them while being honest with yourself about what you really are going to do with the car.
swood
Ok, I'll have to consider buying new pistons then too. I'm just going to drive it not race it, but drive it hard I will.

Ok, so then I'm looking for a set of webers and a cam. I've had an 86b offered. I'll have to look that up. I think that's a Web cam.
sww914
It is, I have a 134C in my 2056. It's a full race cam. I got a good deal on pistons and cylinders recently from GPR.
sean_v8_914
how do you intend to use this car? what crank do you have now? how much do you intend to spend on head work? FI or carbs?
tat2dphreak
isn't the pin SIZE different as well? 24mm vs 22? or is it just the height? even if you replace your pistons the 96mm cylinders you have now could work.

IIRC, isn't an 86b a mid-high end cam?

we went with a 163 webcam great low-end torque and pulls good all the way up smile.gif very nice for street, imo.

FWIW, we used AA pistons with the valve relief.

just my .02, but if you have a 1911 now? why go to a 2056? not a big jump for a good chunk of change.. if your 1911 needs a new cam, you can do that... or you can look into 2200(76x96) or 2270 for not much more.

stirthepot.gif popcorn[1].gif
swood
QUOTE(tat2dphreak @ Oct 30 2009, 09:13 PM) *

isn't the pin SIZE different as well? 24mm vs 22? or is it just the height? even if you replace your pistons the 96mm cylinders you have now could work.

IIRC, isn't an 86b a mid-high end cam?

we went with a 163 webcam great low-end torque and pulls good all the way up smile.gif very nice for street, imo.

FWIW, we used AA pistons with the valve relief.

just my .02, but if you have a 1911 now? why go to a 2056? not a big jump for a good chunk of change.. if your 1911 needs a new cam, you can do that... or you can look into 2200(76x96) or 2270 for not much more.

stirthepot.gif popcorn[1].gif

Yeah, I'm a mixed up kinda dude. I'm sitting on a 1911 with a #73 in it, 96mm KB's, and LJet. I'm not convinced that's a good combo. I do have a set of Shubek ceramic cam followers that I bought for $140 new...I'm just sayin...

It's just going to be a daily driver. I am fishing for advice here. And I see what you mean about the 86b vs the 163. I don't really know which would be better for my application, but I'm at the point of trying to evaluate my options. It's not an expensive part, but it sure influences how the motor runs.

My thinking was that since I'm not confident in what I have now and with my (lack of ) ability to deal with FI tuning, it might be better to tweak it a bit up to a 2056 with carbs.

Yes, the pin height is different on the pistons used on the 66 and 71mm cranks. I'll have to swap them out.

My 1.8L heads have been rehab'd. The valves are now 42x36 if IRC. But I think I need to change out my rocker studs, they don't have much thread left on em. I'll try and find a pic of it to get some thoughts.
I appreciate further input.
Todd Enlund
QUOTE(tat2dphreak @ Oct 30 2009, 08:13 PM) *

Stock 66/71mm cranks use 24mm pins, strokers typically use the 22mm pin to allow the pin to be closer to the crown, keeping the engine from growing too wide, and to use Type 1 rods.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Todd Enlund @ Oct 31 2009, 01:48 AM) *

QUOTE(tat2dphreak @ Oct 30 2009, 08:13 PM) *

Stock 66/71mm cranks use 24mm pins, strokers typically use the 22mm pin to allow the pin to be closer to the crown, keeping the engine from growing too wide, and to use Type 1 rods.

^
IIRC you can get KB's in both pin sizes. If you have 22mm you can get a machine shop to bush your rods to size. might cost you $200-400.
Type 1 rods don't fit a a type 4 crank. Welded stroker cranks have extra material welded to them so they can cut it to the type 1 (or chevy/buick) rod size.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.