Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: six engine serial number
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
r_towle
Where is the location of a stock 2.0 liter /6 engine serial number?
Can I see the number without removing anything?
Seems to be covered in tin all over the top.

A pic for the stupid guy would help alot.

Rich
Cap'n Krusty
It's on the left side (as installed) of the engine on the vertical support for the alternator, just above the oil temp sender. The type number is on a horizontal surface below and behind the 4-6 side cam oil supply line. Having both numbers in the same area is kinda handy ...........................

The Cap'n
MDG
here's a picture I found

Click to view attachment
IronHillRestorations
Sorry Michael, but that's where the 911 engines are numbered.

For a 6 the number is closer to the flywheel end of the case, on top, left side like Cap'n said.

If I can find one of our digital cameras in working condition, I'll take a pic.
914Sixer
Stamped on top of the case near oil breather and oil thermostat. Numbers start:

640---- 1970
641---- 1971
642-----1972
elmonte
Here's a bad pic of the location on a 6

Click to view attachment
Heeltoe914
Thats it!
MDG
QUOTE(9146986 @ Oct 30 2009, 02:30 PM) *

Sorry Michael, but that's where the 911 engines are numbered.

blink.gif
2.0 -6 engines as found in a 914-6 are 911 engines . . . they stamped the ones for 914s in a different spot??? confused24.gif
cal44
Yes, they did stamp them in a different spot. Up top.
r_towle
Got it, thanks guys.

Rich
jt914-6
Here's where my engine type number is. Behind the eng. temp. sender on 4-6 side. Mine's a '86 3.3 turbo case.

Click to view attachment
MDG
QUOTE(cal44 @ Oct 30 2009, 06:16 PM) *

Yes, they did stamp them in a different spot. Up top.

new one on me.

And going back to Perry's post, if you read the Cap'n's reply it's NOT at the flywheel. My photo illustrates where he said to look: vert. support at alternator and above the cam oil feeds. That's where the numbers are on the 2.2 911T motor in my 914. I guess the 2.0 engines where different.

mike.
MDG
QUOTE(jt914-6 @ Oct 30 2009, 06:22 PM) *

Here's where my engine type number is. Behind the eng. temp. sender on 4-6 side. Mine's a '86 3.3 turbo case.

I think Rich was looking for the engine serial number location; that number in your photo is what designates your 930 motor as a US spec engine. Up here and the rest of the world it would be 930/66

mike
Cap'n Krusty
My apologies. I was wrong on the serial number location. I could plead that I just got up (true), but that would sound too much like an excuse. More like I "shot from the hip". If anyone needs a 914/6 case, I have a spare in pretty nice condition. The Cap'n
r_towle
Y'all are wrong.
OEM 914/6 engine serial number is on top of the case on the drivers side of the crankcase breather tower.
After an hour trying to find it in the location you guys suggested I got the owners manual out and it shows it right there...laugh.gif

Rich
Cap'n Krusty
You like actually looked in the book? Careful, they'll pull your guy license if word gets out ..........................

The Cap'n
r_towle
After spending 45 minutes with steel wool, a few mirrors, flashlights, two cameras....etc etc....you get the picture.
We looked all over the alternator tower etc...nada.

Pick up the original owners manual....a simple pic...

Rich
carr914
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Oct 30 2009, 07:52 PM) *

My apologies. I was wrong on the serial number location. I could plead that I just got up (true), but that would sound too much like an excuse. More like I "shot from the hip". If anyone needs a 914/6 case, I have a spare in pretty nice condition. The Cap'n

Cap'n, What is the motor # you have, I know of a few people looking for the correct motor?

T.C.
carr914
Here is a shot of the Engine number location - definately different from a 911 location

T.C.

Click to view attachment
MDG
QUOTE(carr914 @ Oct 31 2009, 06:50 PM) *

Here is a shot of the Engine number location - definately different from a 911 location

T.C.

Well it makes sense they would have changed the spot for the engines going into a 914. Like I posted earlier, the 2.2 in my car has the locations as stated by the Cap'n and in my pic. With the engine in the car it required a flashlight, mirror and the ability to read backwards to get mine.
r_towle
I learned a bit more.

According to Jim at EASY who has been dismantling Porsche since before most of us could speak....

He said that the 914 motor is a 911T motor.
The factory would grind off the engine number (a 911 series number) from the alternator tower and re-number the motors on the top of the case...again in the 914 location.

That explains the funky marks I found on the alternator tower...I was starting to get worried that something was not right....but I guess that is what all the cars had done.

Jim even claims to have seen a few that the remnants of the 911 series engine number were still a little bit visible...just one or two numbers.

Rich
carr914
The 914-6 motor is a 911T motor, but I had always been told they were 1969 left-overs that had not yet been numbered. A couple of years ago I had an un-numbered case that I traded.

T.C.
r_towle
Dunno, but I do love hearing these stories from some of the guys that were in business with 914's and especially the 356's....

The blank third piece of the case comes to mind...lots of stories around those.

Rich
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.