Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I wonder if this would make a cost effective theft recovery tracker?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rick 918-S
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Insignia+-+Lit...d=1218123143064

They were talking about this on Fox News today. Sold at Best Buy for tracking the kids. I guess it's the size of a pack of gum.

$ 15.00 a month to keep the plan active. Toss it in the 914. No wiring. Battery monitor built in. Warns you when the battery is low.
underthetire
Where are the kids supposed to put that bootyshake.gif ? It looks like it would work. Might be able to use an old cell phone stashed away to. I know there is some GPS tracking stuff for those as well. Might be less than 15 per month for an additional line on the cell. I know my second cell was free per month.
flipb
Personally, I'm counting on the seat belt - ignition interlock to thwart any rustophile who might attempt to make away in my teener.

That, and a newb would certainly make one hell of a racket grinding 1st and 2nd gear.
biosurfer1
QUOTE(flipb @ Oct 30 2009, 10:27 AM) *

Personally, I'm counting on the seat belt - ignition interlock to thwart any rustophile who might attempt to make away in my teener.

That, and a newb would certainly make one hell of a racket grinding 1st and 2nd gear.

Thats what I tell my gf when she asks why I leave the top off when out and about...I figure if they can find 1st and 2nd, get it to run properly, and risk getting caught, there isnt much I could do to prevent them anyways.
biosurfer1
I just had a thought about these devices for kids.

I wonder what would happen to the company if say, a parent forgot to pay the monthly fee and they turned off service, then the kid gets taken. Would they be required to activate it and find the kid? Wouldn't that create a lot of liability if they have the ability to track the kid and didnt?
flipb
QUOTE(biosurfer1 @ Oct 30 2009, 01:41 PM) *

I just had a thought about these devices for kids.

I wonder what would happen to the company if say, a parent forgot to pay the monthly fee and they turned off service, then the kid gets taken. Would they be required to activate it and find the kid? Wouldn't that create a lot of liability if they have the ability to track the kid and didnt?

I'd imagine that GM OnStar (and similar systems) have the same dilemma. Do they call you after detecting that an airbag has gone off, regardless of whether or not you pay the subscription fee?
biosurfer1
My guess would be not since they could turn off their system and claim they were never notified the airbag went off... although if they did receive a signal, I would think they are in the same boat.

With the child recovery thing, once you told them the kid was gone, then would they have to do something or be held accountable.
Elliot Cannon
If YOU lose a child, WHO is responsible?? stirthepot.gif
biosurfer1
Good luck explaining that to people like Jaycee Duggard's step dad who watched her get taken while he was less than 200 ft. away on a bike, by a person in a car.

I suppose that was his fault too?
KevinP
Blame, blame, blame........ Where's George Bush when you need him???

KP
ConeDodger
I plan on owning my 914 for a very long time. That is why LoJack seems to be the better system. @ $700 and you are done. Just call them and say "hey! where the fuch is my car!" This system is $99 plus $180 a year. Own your 914 for just 3 or 4 more years and that LoJack system starts looking like a pretty good deal... Plus, I am sure in the small print it says that they are not liable if they go out of business etc...
ClayPerrine
Buy a pre-paid cell phone. Install GPS tracking software on it. Free GPS Tracking Software. Mount it somewhere hidden in the car. Wire the charger up to the electrical system to keep the cell battery charged.

No monthly fees, no using the pre-paid minutes unless you want to track the car, and the battery stays charged so you don't have to worry about it. And you can still track it if they disconnect the car battery.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.