Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: does the engine shelf serve any purpose?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
wayne1234
I have posted on here about my hell hole repair. now the hole motor mount and rear pan areas are repaired... only thing left is the "shelf metal above the passanger motor mount.. I know there is that wide rubber piece that goes around the engine bay where the tin meets... I'm almost thinking of removing the shelf on both sides just leaving the front where the harness passes through... but I'm wondering if it has anything to do with cooling somehow or airflow? even though there is that 1/2" hole on the shelf wall for water drain it somehow seems better if water was never directed there in the first place.. give me your thoughts.. Thanks
SirAndy
QUOTE(wayne1234 @ Oct 30 2009, 03:41 PM) *

I have posted on here about my hell hole repair. now the hole motor mount and rear pan areas are repaired... only thing left is the "shelf metal above the passanger motor mount.. I know there is that wide rubber piece that goes around the engine bay where the tin meets... I'm almost thinking of removing the shelf on both sides just leaving the front where the harness passes through... but I'm wondering if it has anything to do with cooling somehow or airflow? even though there is that 1/2" hole on the shelf wall for water drain it somehow seems better if water was never directed there in the first place.. give me your thoughts.. Thanks

If you still have an air-cooled engine, you need to separate the top from the bottom. Otherwise your engine will overheat.

The shelf and rubber seal together with the engine sheet-metal divide the upper part from the lower part.

shades.gif Andy
wayne1234
thats what I figured ... Thanks for the fast input.. off to make up some metal
GeorgeRud
Nice looking car on your avatar! I always like the "slant-nosed" look on the 914.
wayne1234
Thanks, it looked really good till I started poking around.... oh well I will now know that it is really solid... and I feel really comfortable about the car now... and I'm lookinf for a second. maybe this weekend infact. I always wanted one and once when my father and myself went on a ski trip we stoped and looked at one on the way, hopefully for a first car for me but pop said no.. now that I'm 35 and have had over 50 cars I finally got one. but man the driveway is packed I currently have 8 cars 1 bike and 2 trailers and 2 skidsteers.... yep I have a problem
Socalandy
Yep, you dont have a problem, you just need to clear the front yard and poor more concrete!!

Post a larger pic of your car so we can see it better. Dig the yellow!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.