Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Stuck Deck lid
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
r_towle
Hi,

I have a few ideas already but I am hoping someone else had to deal with this already.

Deck lid cable seems to be frozen in the tube.
Cant get the lid open.

I can see the cable at the latch...thinking of pushing down on the cable with a flat screw driver...see if that moves it enough to get it open.

Second idea might be to make a tool that fits in the deck screen and can be used to flip the latch....(I have a few of these cars so I can practice on a good deck lid setup to get it perfect.

Any other ideas? and BTDT?

Rich
benalishhero
Just went out to look at the latch with the lid closed. I'd try the s. driver technique. Next best thing looks like getting onto the cable adjuster bolt.(doesn't look easy) My enginebay light assembly is not in the car, which makes a great line to the underside of the latch. Looks like the screws that hold that in come from the inside out-though. good luck
underthetire
Maybe i'm missing something. I assume you meen the engine grill. If you open the trunk the latch is right there. No screwdriver required.
r_towle
I forgot about that.

If I open the trunk, can I wedge open the deck lid latch from there?
OR, loosen the 13mm nut that hold the stay in place....hmmmm

Rich
underthetire
Either way, not going to FUCH up your paint that way.
detoxcowboy
Towle, I have done this many times for practice as I keep my spare key in the engine comp. if I ever get locked out or lose the keys. Take a screw driver (normal size) stick it down into the latch from the top on drivers side of the latch, o.k. now the screw driver is in the latch sticking up into your hand now push/shift the screw driver straight over to the passenger side then pull it out while digging it in deeper back towards the driver side at the end of that shift move/ flicks its open. Kinda of like using an ice pick. Should open immeadiately. I can do this is seconds in the dark with anything similar to a screw driver, popsicle stick ect.. Good Luck..
jt914-6
OK, It's early and I'm being silly........You could always drop the eng./tranny to gain access to the lid lock!!!!!!! I warned you........
EdwardBlume
Slick your hair in grease,
put on jeans, a white T shirt and a leather jacket
lean up against the sail panel,
and elbow it like the Fonz..

should pop right open if you're cool.
Katmanken

Is yer engine on fire?

That will cause yer deck lid cable to quit working....

In that case, you can use a jack as a lid opener....

Didn't help the guy I watched...
r_towle
Its so easy it will make you laugh.
Open rear trunk.
Take a screw driver and push the deck lid latch open. Done.

Rich
rick 918-S
Looks like I'm late to this party...... dry.gif I realize you were able to figure this out but I like "drop the engine suggestion" Or better yet, I think it would be really challanging to relatch the thing, start a small fire and see if you can drop the engine while it's burning w00t.gif Practice makes perfect... wacko.gif lol-2.gif happy11.gif

Oh, here's a new one from Area 51 Werks. idea.gif Plasma Ray aimed through the mesh at the cable connection. One careful zap and......oh crap, welded the dang thing.... assimilate.gif Nevermind.. shades.gif
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Nov 1 2009, 09:04 AM) *

Looks like I'm late to this party...... dry.gif I realize you were able to figure this out but I like "drop the engine suggestion" Or better yet, I think it would be really challanging to relatch the thing, start a small fire and see if you can drop the engine while it's burning w00t.gif Practice makes perfect... wacko.gif lol-2.gif happy11.gif

Oh, here's a new one from Area 51 Werks. idea.gif Plasma Ray aimed through the mesh at the cable connection. One careful zap and......oh crap, welded the dang thing.... assimilate.gif Nevermind.. shades.gif

It's a little early for you to be hitting the beer.... drunk.gif

Oh.. that's right. You are watching it snow, so I understand the beer. poke.gif
detoxcowboy
QUOTE(r_towle @ Oct 31 2009, 12:35 PM) *

Its so easy it will make you laugh.
Open rear trunk.
Take a screw driver and push the deck lid latch open. Done.

Rich

I made it sound like your need "lock picking skills", but your right it is ridiculously easy but had i not over described maybe we would have missed the simpleness by accident. Glad it is open, frustration sucks!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.