Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tranny issue
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
WRX914
Got my car down getting the new 2.5 sti tuned and the car got "stuck" in 4th gear. I was not there when this happened and naturally got a little pissed. The trans was removed and taken to a local VW trans shop who said the gear got sucked back with no real explanation how. They "fixed" the trans saying there is nothing wrong with it, rather it was a fluke thing that occured. I called the shop and asked them not to drive the vehicle, I would commute up there and drive it for them if needed. He called me this morning and I went up there to do the final street tune. Took off just fine in first (which is truely 2nd, but I have the 1st gear gated off), shifted to second... no problem. Went for third and ... no third! Somehow the gear is stuck back in 4th...

Again! this time I was driving it and I was not on it whatsoever...

Got any ideas what the heck is wrong here?

Thanks in advance...

Keith
sean_v8_914
internal shift fork loose, mis-alignment or brake band worn and jambed between the synchro...
what does the shifting action feel like?
Dr Evil
A fluke? I would not let them touch anything of mine. Your rods are not tightened. One loosened 13mm bolt on the inside is the cause of this almost definitely.
WRX914
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Oct 30 2009, 11:55 PM) *

A fluke? I would not let them touch anything of mine. Your rods are not tightened. One loosened 13mm bolt on the inside is the cause of this almost definitely.

Evil!

I am soooo glad you replied. I trust your opinion like I trust my father's...

I knew the guy was a douchebag, must have been the "fluke" comment that tipped me off.

Thanks hommie!

Wish you lived out west, I would have just brought it to you.

tx
Dr Evil
If I can help, let me know. You will need to pull the stack out, install the fork jig, and re-adjust them all. 4-5 is the one that can rotate out and leave you trapped, the rest can not so easily. You'll need seals (at least int and tail) most likely after pulling the stack. If you want to send the stack to me I'll adjust it for you for nada. FedEx it smile.gif
DNHunt
I just dealt with what Mike described. I found out there was no 4th or 5th after I had the tranny in and everything hooked up. I was doing a final check before I lowered the car and the 4th, 5th motion of the stick felt like spreading soft butter on toast. I drained the box and lowered the transmission and took off the tail cone and removed the gear stack. I left the transmission case bolted up to the engine.

It was as Mike said the bolt on the shift fork on the 4th 5th slider was loose enough for the rod to rotate out of the path for teeth on the shift console to engage it. Mine was stuck with no gear selected but, I could see the same thing occurring with either gear selected. The gear stack goes back in pretty easy. It is certainly easier than reinstalling the whole box.

Pain in the butt especially since it was me who didn't tighten the bolt.

Dave
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.