Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: '73-'74 Orignal Marathon Blue?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
detoxcowboy
Does anyone have a car painted original '73-'74 marathon blue L96M they could post? It is my cars original color though a previous owner chose to have it painted silver and there are only a few (under the gas tank ect.) spots where I can see the original color but it is in too poor of condition to get a good idea of what it really looks like. I could only find one on the internet, actually 2 but I am pretty sure the other is Alaska Blue and miss labeled. I am painting soon and do not even know if the "silver" is the real L96D silver ect. It is a huge job to tear everything off the car for a solid paint job and just want to be well informed.

I found it never u mind.....
Tom_T
Here ya go! smile.gif

Some Variation on these cars is due to lighting &/or fading, & the 74 color chart doesn't render the color too true for same reason, but this gives you a general idea. 2nd from bottom is probably the closest example of them.....
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Nice chatting yesterday! ...as we discussed, Marathon is a Metallic Blue/Silver & lighter than the other 914 Metallic Blues.......& my Fav! biggrin.gif
Tom_T
AH HAH!!!! - Finally found them!! Here are 2 more shots of Marathon Blue I have, which are very good renditions of the actual color (at least on my screen)... biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Get repainted to that purdy OE color! smile.gif

Cheers!
beerchug.gif
detoxcowboy
I think the very last picture is Alaska Blue, I know where you got those and they (p914) have a switching error possible from 73 to 74 in color ect.. I thnik so but.. I found good color on my car and it is most like the second of very last.. I will be painting Marathon Blue just because I like it, It is Orignal factory for my car, seems to age well and there are just too many Silver cars on the road especially in urban O.C., used to be every car was white now Silver... Oh and it matches my eyes.. Hell I do not know.. But thanks as my conversatuion w/ you had me take a second look at the original factory color and it was only in 73-74 for that color and the silver was early 911/ volkswagen and 914 to 75..
Tom_T
QUOTE(detoxcowboy @ Nov 2 2009, 12:47 PM) *

I think the very last picture is Alaska Blue, I know where you got those and they (p914) have a switching error possible from 73 to 74 in color ect.. I thnik so but.. I found good color on my car and it is most like the second of very last.. I will be painting Marathon Blue just because I like it, It is Orignal factory for my car, seems to age well and there are just too many Silver cars on the road especially in urban O.C., used to be every car was white now Silver... Oh and it matches my eyes.. Hell I do not know.. But thanks as my conversatuion w/ you had me take a second look at the original factory color and it was only in 73-74 for that color and the silver was early 911/ volkswagen and 914 to 75..

Good choice for whatever reason, plus they're worth more in OE or restored to original color,according to George H & many others.

BTW - the Marathon Blue L96M is the same color for any & all MY's in which it was offered, or as selected as a "customer special order" color - so crossed-up links between 74 & 73 won't matter - IF they got the color right on the car. It's probably more a case of lighting, camera, screen & whether the paint mfgr./body shop properly matched the OE color in the case of a repaint.

None of the above are Alaska Blue - it's a more true blue metallic, rather than a greyish/silver-blue as above.

Here's an Alaska Blue FYI - so you can see the difference:

Click to view attachment

beerchug.gif
Tom_T
And here's a period ad for the 914 with a Marathon Blue, I'm pretty sure....

Click to view attachment

popcorn[1].gif
computers4kids
Here ya go...74 marathon blue. I painted the car last year...full bare metal strip.
IPB Image
detoxcowboy
There we, thanks Cumpeters 4 kids, we have done some bussiness before ebay or audio?? Nice color, Nice Car, Thant the color closest to the color behind my vin# door jamb sticker.. but funny other places are different and some so light greenish, other silver blueish.. 30+m years will change a color. Thanks I am excited again.. Gonna ditch the unkown silver and go Maratyhon Blue, Nice lower profile color.. "chicks dig it!"
Tom_T

IMHO - I think that last repainted 914 from computers4kids on your Marathon Blue post is too silver.

IIRC - I recall seeing them when new in the mid-70's (73 - on), and it was pretty much a silverish-blue metallic, which does change color in various lighting & angles, due to the 3 step paint used.

If you have a pure hidden non-sunbleached & weathered spot on your car, then that may be the best match, but it will take some hunting!

If you look at the pic of the actual color swatch, it is a light to medium blue with somewhat greenish undertones, but that doesn't pick up either the metallic nor the 3-coat depth.

Whereas, the actual cars do, & some look too silver or too light in the blue-range to me, whereas the ad 7 two 914s in the second post I sent you are picking up the pale blue.

BTW - if the 914 is done nice, it's a "babe magnet" in almost any color!! poke.gif
Tom_T
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Nov 2 2009, 12:07 PM) *

AH HAH!!!! - Finally found them!! Here are 2 more shots of Marathon Blue I have, which are very good renditions of the actual color (at least on my screen)... biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Get repainted to that purdy OE color! smile.gif

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

If you look at the top 914 above - you'll see that it incorporates just about the entire range of colors seen in all of the other samples - from the lighter more silver along the fender tops, to the deeper/richer blue at rear deck lid & front edge of the front deck lid. That's exactly what the proper 3 coat paint is supposed to do, & why Porsche charged extra for it.

If the painter goes too far either way - to a lighter/silver or deeper-blue, &/or only does a 1 or 2 step paint job, then it won't look right & will appear more flat, as the Visalia one & some of the others do in the photos. It's like that pearlescant paint which is SUPPOSED to change colors when you look at them.
huh.gif
Tom_T
Here are some more color info links with color samples:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=39488&st=0
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act=colors

For color chips in the 1st link above:
http://autocolorlibrary.com/acl_files/Porsche.html (missing 69-76??)
http://autocolorlibrary.com/acl_files/volkswagen.html

BTW - I'm not recommending PPG paint, as there are better ones out there according to the top quality paint shops & CW's here.

http://homepage.mac.com/markd/914/colors.html

http://members.rennlist.com/chuxter/914Colors.htm
http://914.pca.org/914Colors.htm

http://members.rennlist.com/914_collectibl...aintFabrics.htm

http://www.p914.com/p914_paint-4-1974.htm

http://www.elferhelfer.de/farben.htm (in German, pick Farben , then year range) - but no Marathon Blue there dry.gif

Some have links to cars in colors.

I think they use Sherwin-Williams paint where you plan to take your car, from our telecon last Friday, but they can probably match to the PPG numbers at the above auto-color-library website for VW colors in 74.

Hope this helps! smile.gif
Tom_T
FYI - here's a Porsche Factory Manual on repairing the special order three-step Metallic Paints:

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

beerchug.gif
computers4kids
[quote name='Tom_T' date='Nov 4 2009, 09:35 PM' post='1234631']
IMHO - I think that last repainted 914 from computers4kids on your Marathon Blue post is too silver.
[/quote]

It's like that pearlescant paint which is SUPPOSED to change colors when you look at them.
[/quote]

I had a 74 marathon blue 914 when it was 3 years old, my recent paint is just like it. The paint is a very rich color and is hard to capture with a camera. Now, if you make the mistake of ordering marathon blue in the '75' year, you will end-up with a paint that is more silver and less blue. If you understand marathon blue it changes from shades of blue to blue silver according to the light conditions. More light, more silver.
Here's one out of the paint booth.
IPB Image
Tom_T
[quote name='computers4kids' date='Nov 5 2009, 05:46 AM' post='1234724']
[/quote]

It's like that pearlescant paint which is SUPPOSED to change colors when you look at them.
[/quote]

I had a 74 marathon blue 914 when it was 3 years old, my recent paint is just like it. The paint is a very rich color and is hard to capture with a camera. Now, if you make the mistake of ordering marathon blue in the '75' year, you will end-up with a paint that is more silver and less blue. If you understand marathon blue it changes from shades of blue to blue silver according to the light conditions. More light, more silver.
IPB Image
[/quote]
agree.gif
That one picks up more of the color richness. smile.gif
...probably just the bight sun on the other one you posted.

Here's one I found online tonight in Marathon with the Beige interior, which is what I would've special ordered for a 73-74, had I bought one new! drooley.gif

Click to view attachment

Go for it in Marathon with yours Detox!! biggrin.gif

BTW - the 2 USA paint brands which the shop guy up at Grand & Orange-Olive Vee which we talked about, were PPG & Dunn-Edwards (looked at my notes from the BMW repaint). stirthepot.gif

Here's a couple more links to other 914world post listing the paint colors & brands/types folks like for the 914s: type.gif
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=92101
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=84667

popcorn[1].gif
detoxcowboy
[quote name='Tom_T' date='Nov 5 2009, 09:42 PM' post='1235115']
[quote name='computers4kids' date='Nov 5 2009, 05:46 AM' post='1234724']
[/quote]

[/quote]

IPB Image
[/quote]
agree.gif
That one picks up more of the color richness. smile.gif
...probably just the bight sun on the other one you posted.

Here's one I found online tonight in Marathon with the Beige interior, which is what I would've special ordered for a 73-74, had I bought one new! drooley.gif

Click to view attachment

Go for it in Marathon with yours Detox!! biggrin.gif

BTW - the 2 USA paint brands which the shop guy up at Grand & Orange-Olive Vee which we talked about, were PPG & Dunn-Edwards (looked at my notes from the BMW repaint). stirthepot.gif

Here's a couple more links to other 914world post listing the paint colors & brands/types folks like for the 914s: type.gif
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=92101
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=84667

popcorn[1].gif
[/quote]

Definately going Marathon Blue, I mau be pushing paint back 2 more weeks due to what actually has to be done when takeing the car back apart and what should be done since the effort of doing so makes not doing something right then senseless, on dec. 24th I will have had the car 2 years with weekly projects and most of my time and money into it, so after apint I hope I can just do something else for awhile but it is addicting and hard to just stop, These cars take on a restoration life of their own, learned as I go and everything takes its own shape and priority for whatever reasons, let that be a lesson to taking your time and laying it all out in your mind and sticking to it..
914four
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Nov 4 2009, 11:44 PM) *

If the painter goes too far either way - to a lighter/silver or deeper-blue, &/or only does a 1 or 2 step paint job, then it won't look right & will appear more flat, as the Visalia one & some of the others do in the photos. It's like that pearlescant paint which is SUPPOSED to change colors when you look at them.
huh.gif

Can you elaborate on the three part paint? What is involved in this process? Is it just three coats the Marathon Blue Metallic or is there a clear? I am planning to paint my car back to this same original color and want to do it correctly as well.

Kelvin
Tom_T
QUOTE(PH1 @ Nov 6 2009, 08:10 PM) *

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Nov 4 2009, 11:44 PM) *

huh.gif

Can you elaborate on the three part paint? What is involved in this process? Is it just three coats the Marathon Blue Metallic or is there a clear? I am planning to paint my car back to this same original color and want to do it correctly as well.

Kelvin

Actually for the 914 metallics,I've seen it referred to as both 2-stage/step & 3-stage-step. Usually the topmost layer is a clear coat, as noted in that barely readable Porsche Metallic Paint Procedures above. If I read it correctly, the color coat is two parts of color & metallic with a fixer-substance - 3-step/stage??

I'd suggest taking thos pages & enhance them in a photo-program on your computer & preint them out for your use & the shop's use. That's why I put up here.

Also, talk to the paint dealer & body/paint shop doing the repaint for you, as the materials & methods have changed since then, plus some areas have strict air quality & environmental rules which limit the paint types allowed now. Even Porsche factory now uses water-based paints now, according to their website.

Good Luck!
...& show us pix after! popcorn[1].gif
Dion
Here is my car. Excuse the flares,repainted in '05 Marathon "metallic" blue.
Cheers,Dion
windforfun
Here you go.
Tom_T
QUOTE(windforfun @ Jan 8 2010, 04:27 PM) *

Here you go.

welcome.png

smilie_pokal.gif ...absolutely stunning! drooley.gif wub.gif

73 or 74?? confused24.gif

1.7, 1.8 or 2.0?? confused24.gif

Interior color?? confused24.gif

Detoxcowboy - you can take this pic to the shop for color matching! biggrin.gif
IronHillRestorations
GM Saphire blue metallic is very close.
Tom_T
QUOTE(9146986 @ Jan 9 2010, 06:44 AM) *

GM Saphire blue metallic is very close.

Perry,
I think Detoxcowboy is trying to get an exact color mix match for is OE color - as opposed to others close, given all the $$'s he's poured into to it. But who knows, maybe your suggestion is what he'll go for!?

Do you or anyone know if Sekurit was also one of the OEM paint mfgrs for VW-Porsche on the 914s?? confused24.gif
... I know they did the window glass.

I'm still idea.gif headbang.gif idea.gif trying to remember the other 914 OEM paint mfgr whosse name began with an "S......." !!?? huh.gif
1970 Neun vierzehn
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jan 9 2010, 12:55 PM) *

I'm still idea.gif headbang.gif idea.gif trying to remember the other 914 OEM paint mfgr whosse name began with an "S......." !!?? huh.gif

Tom,
You're not thinking of "Sikkens" paint, are you? huh.gif

Paul
tod914
Standox is another Euro paint manufacture.
Tom_T
Paul & Tod - it might be Sikkens or Standox or another!!?? Half-zymers sets in at 50 ya know, so I've had it for 7+ years!! blink.gif

I saved a 73 Phx Red that a guy restored on my laptop where he listed the paint mfgr. I'm thinking of, & as soon as Fujitsu sends it back from repair I'll look it up & post it here & at that paint colors topic here in O&H or Garage that I referenced above.
Tom_T
. rocking nana.gif
Okay, so now that I have my laptop back with my 914 files, I've found the link below for the Phx. Red I'd seen FS awhile back, that had named a German paint brand:
> Spies Hecker ........ turns out it was right here on the world! biggrin.gif

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=93757

Is that an OEM paint mfgr. for VW-Porsche on the 914s, or just a current German mfgr of good quality auto paints?? confused24.gif

Tomorrow the laptop goes back to them cuz they replaced the motherboard - but without the Bluetooth option which I had & didn't repair all problems!!!! mad.gif
... so now I'll be SOL again on my 914 pix & files for another week or two!! dry.gif
popcorn[1].gif ... soon to be ... white914.jpg
detoxcowboy

Here you go.

That is it right there, thats the original; color I see in the hidden spots of my "Silver" 914.. Perfect
Tom_T
QUOTE(detoxcowboy @ Jan 22 2010, 08:33 AM) *

Here you go.

That is it right there, thats the original; color I see in the hidden spots of my "Silver" 914.. Perfect

Make sure you post some pix here of yours when it's done! smile.gif

Try to Stay Dry! sad.gif
Tom
///////
detoxcowboy
drunk.gif Marathon Blue L96m

The color is actually changes shade depending on the ambient lighting, Much more GLOSSY,METALLIC and DEPTH OF COLOR than my cell phone pics can show you but. .. Thanks everyone!! Just got it out of the paint shop today!! Now I know/understand why the pics seem different color when I was researching Marathon Blue,

Click to view attachment
detoxcowboy
drunk.gif
Click to view attachment
Tom_T
Joe - that color changing is what I always liked about it myself!

Did MAACO do it??

Nice job! I'd like to come over & look at it, but I'd probably just drooley.gif all over your nice new paint job anyway!

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.