Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Clutch or engine mount?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
RonnieJ
I know this is going to be a very stupid question to most of you but here I go. My 914 was in storage a long time and now that I have it out when I put it into gear by the way no gringing when I shift into any gears it shakes when I let out the clutch in first gear. Do you think I have a broken engine mount or some type of fluid on my clutch or a little corrosion or rust from it setting confused24.gif ? Also is it real obvious if I have a broken mount or do I need to remove the mounts to check. Thanks in advance for the info.
914Sixer
If it is shaking, I would say you have broken motor mounts or transmission mounts.. What year is it?
ClayPerrine
The clutch could be the problem if it is chattering when you let it out. Usually, on a broken side shifter mount, the gear lever will move when you let out the clutch.

detoxcowboy
Just a heads up when I had a broken motor mount you can fell then engine lurch backwards clunk little when you take off in first every time but my shifting was not messing up, I drove it like that for 6 weeks so I got the feeling down but always shifted well, on top of that my tranny mounts were old and shot still never caused what your describing.. Oh and without taking the mounts out it is not really visibly discernible, especially tranny mount appear good but the rubber is shot, my motor mount was sheared in 2 but could not see that until I was taking it out. My $$$ is on a clutch issue..
ClayPerrine
I have seen LOTS of 914s with the front motor mounts broken on the side shifter. It doesn't cause shifting problems, but the shifter moves when you take off....

IronHillRestorations
Put the parking brake on, and have someone watch the engine as you let out the clutch (in gear). If you have a broken mount the engine will move much more than it should.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.