Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need help from the /6 guys
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ahdoman
I'm in the process of putting the 2.4 from "the turd" back together. Today I installed the crank pulley. Should both Z1 markings (/6 flywheel & Pulley) line up with the case centerline? When the flywheel Z1 is aligned at the case center the pulley Z1 is not. I don't see how either could be misaligned since the pulley has the pin on the back and the flywheel has the offset 6 bolt pattern. Any ideas?

Flywheel aligned on center...

Click to view attachment

Pulley not (Z1 marks are the red arrows. Sorry about the blur.)...

Click to view attachment

sixnotfour
go by the pulley, remark the flywheel.

2.0-2.2 crank versus 2.4-2.7 crank

so your in the process of polishing a turd
ahdoman
"The Turd" is already polished. This is the backup engine.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(ahdoman @ Oct 31 2009, 09:47 PM) *

"The Turd" is already polished. This is the backup engine.

Funny.... my mystery engine is getting the nickname "the little bastard" smile.gif
ahdoman
Mark,
That's basically what this engine is. I've gathered parts that I didn't already have and everything is spec'd before it's assembled. New bearings, seals, rings and critical updates (oil bypass, cut cooling tins, etc.). It won't be shiney new but it will be a good solid engine.
Cap'n Krusty
As was mentioned earlier, the crankshafts are drilled differently on the 2.4 and 2.7 engines. Same pattern, different clocking. While you're doing the new TDC mark on the flywheel, be sure to stamp in the 30 and 35 degree marks as well, and paint mark 'em. You can see the marks through the hole above the flywheel, making is a LOT easier and safer to time the ignition at 6000 RPM.

The Cap'n
brp986s
There is likely a few degrees of play in the pulley vs dowel vs crank. This error will get carried over into cam timing. Use a dial gauge on #1 piston to locate tdc, then install pulley with z1's lined up. Don't stress that dowel by turning the engine with the pulley with spark plugs in, or if you do, then first lock the flywheel and properly torque the pulley. Just my opinion.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.