Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: early fog light switch
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
1970 Neun vierzehn
The recent thread re: fog light switches got me to thinking about the switch on my own '70. I've not seen another one like it before. Anybody with an early /4 or /6 have one like this?
Tom_T
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Oct 31 2009, 09:26 PM) *

The recent thread re: fog light switches got me to thinking about the switch on my own '70. I've not seen another one like it before. Anybody with an early /4 or /6 have one like this?

Paul, that looks like the knob innards, but missing the rubber outer ring of the other two L & R knobs, & missing the green early style fog light bezel insert - i.e. an incomplete switch knob. sad.gif
1970 Neun vierzehn
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Oct 31 2009, 08:37 PM) *

Tom,
I saw that link on the previous thread about fog light switches, and that's what got me thinking about my '70. But, the car was originally delivered with that switch, and it had neither the rubber surround nor the fog light symbol. My first thought was that those compoments were not yet available for early 914s, but thinking more about it, surely the vendor (BOSCH? HELLA?) provided full switch assemblies for the 911 model run during that time period.

Your observation makes a lot of sense though. It does appear that my switch is missing the outer perimeter piece as well as the F/L icon. After 40 years without those two little pieces, how "correct" would it be to now install them? idea.gif

Paul
detoxcowboy
It has the shape and look of a Bosch unit, I have a Bosch switch from early 911's that looks exactly like that but much smaller, Bosch made switches with that cup desighn..
Cap'n Krusty
Looks a lot like the fog light switch knob on my '65 911.

The Cap'n
Tom_T
Paul, Jeff Bowlsby has a complete early green one for sale here:
http://bowlsby.net/914/PartsFS/
Tom_T
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Oct 31 2009, 11:16 PM) *

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Oct 31 2009, 08:37 PM) *

Your observation makes a lot of sense though. It does appear that my switch is missing the outer perimeter piece as well as the F/L icon. After 40 years without those two little pieces, how "correct" would it be to now install them? idea.gif

Paul

That sounds like a Pat Garvey question!?........Pat.........?? confused24.gif

Are you sure it never had them??

Another possibility, is that the dealer or somebody "borrowed" them - even while still on the lot, and you or the original new buyer jsut never noticed or thought it was complete & correct!? idea.gif
sixerdon
Paul,
Can you unscrew the knob? Or, is it part of the switch assembly?
The green and amber knobs have small light bulbs behind the bezel that light up when actuated. My early Jan/'70 "six" does not have your switch.
Don
Rav914
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Nov 1 2009, 09:24 AM) *

The Cap'n

Exactly. My '65 911 had one as did my previous '67 912. It's a 911/912 item.
Tom_T
QUOTE(Rav914 @ Nov 3 2009, 03:01 PM) *

QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Nov 1 2009, 09:24 AM) *

The Cap'n

Exactly. My '65 911 had one as did my previous '67 912. It's a 911/912 item.

Sooooo.........is this a case of VW-Porsche using whatever was handy in the parts bin to build a new model, lacking the correct parts?? confused24.gif

poke.gif Hey CW folks - what Paul needs help with here, since it appears to be a 911/912 switch
- is......should he replace it with the proper OE style switch?? confused24.gif

For what it's worth Paul.......if it were my 914 bought new, I'd have made the dealer replace it to the proper one while still under warranty, just cuz it bugs me to see 3 is-matched odd-ball switches in a row! dry.gif ...or even as an after purchase if I'd bought the 914 used! smile.gif

...and I'm not even a CW freak, but I am a design professional, so maybe more sensitive to the aesthetics than most. biggrin.gif
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Oct 31 2009, 11:26 PM) *

Paul,
looks like early 911 to me, but......

Remember, your 914 is one of he earliest. We all know that things in the "VW camp" were not always...shall we say in sink with Porsche demands. Things slipped through. Parts were used "as grabbed".

As I recall, your 914 was delivered with the "mixed bag" appearance group (correct me if I'm wrong). Fog's were there, yet other "common" things were not.

I'd leave it as is. You have doc's & can prove it. It's an anomoly.

Breath deep & forget it.
Pat
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.