Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Cleaning a rag top
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jim_hoyland
I'm getting ready to clean a Boxster soft top and would like comments on my plan:
1. The top is in very good, not new though, condition.

2. Going to wash with auto soap and use a nylon brush to loosen the dust

3. Let dry, then spray with scotchguard ( is there another product here I should use ?)

4. Plastic window; fair to good condition. Need suggestions here

Thanks, Jim
computers4kids
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Nov 1 2009, 05:39 AM) *

I'm getting ready to clean a Boxster soft top and would like comments on my plan:
1. The top is in very good, not new though, condition.

2. Going to wash with auto soap and use a nylon brush to loosen the dust

3. Let dry, then spray with scothguard ( is there another product here I should use ?)

4. Plastic window; fair to good condition. Need suggestions here

Thanks, Jim

Jim...is there something you want to tell us?...or did I just miss the anouncement 'boxster.'
Porsche Rescue
Owners manual for my '04 says water only. Can't remember what it says about brushing. Air dry. Don't use a towel or you will have a coat of lint forever.
Ian Stott
Mild soap rinsed off right away will be okay, buddy of mine has an auto upholstery business and we have done a few boxster tops, original tops are of very good quality material. Don't get aggressive with a brush or you wil have a spot that looks different, also top will tighten up a bit as it dries, that is a good thing, don't let it dry in direct sunlight.

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada
tommy914
cleaning the top:
I mostly just rinse with the "flat" spray setting on my hose. I use a soft nylon brush occasionally. Don't use a brush with "feathered ends" those will shed on the roof. I dry using a synthetic chamois. I have purchased Raggtop brand cleaner and treatment, but have never applied.
I use a lint removal roller, essential sticky tape on a roll, to clean up towel lint or cat hair.

plastic window:
rinse and wipe clean gently with microfiber towel.
treat with Plexus cleaner and conditioner to clear up the "haze".
I also use the Plexus on the head and tail light plastic lenses.

If you are going to park in the sun a lot, you may want to purchase a cover for just the top. I puchased one on ebay made of Sunbrella material.
here's a current ebay ad from the guy i bought from. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1997-09-POR...sQ5fAccessories

He's using Blockit material now, but I bet you can request whatever you want.

jim_hoyland
Thanks for all the tips everyone.

QUOTE(tommy914 @ Nov 1 2009, 09:37 AM) *

cleaning the top:
I mostly just rinse with the "flat" spray setting on my hose. I use a soft nylon brush occasionally. Don't use a brush with "feathered ends" those will shed on the roof. I dry using a synthetic chamois. I have purchased Raggtop brand cleaner and treatment, but have never applied.
I use a lint removal roller, essential sticky tape on a roll, to clean up towel lint or cat hair.

plastic window:
rinse and wipe clean gently with microfiber towel.
treat with Plexus cleaner and conditioner to clear up the "haze".
I also use the Plexus on the head and tail light plastic lenses.

If you are going to park in the sun a lot, you may want to purchase a cover for just the top. I puchased one on ebay made of Sunbrella material.
here's a current ebay ad from the guy i bought from. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1997-09-POR...sQ5fAccessories

He's using Blockit material now, but I bet you can request whatever you want.
EdwardBlume
You live in So Cal. Why is the top up?
burton73
You should use Novus plastic polish on the window. You may need #2 for deeper and #1 for the fine stuff. The 1 is the day to day cleaner and is a great way to remove the static electricity from the plastic.

Novus Polish Kit, Plastic Polish & Scratch Remover

Bob
craig downs
So you did buy that boxster. I hope you keep your 914
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(craig downs @ Nov 1 2009, 12:32 PM) *

So you did buy that boxster. I hope you keep your 914

The 914 is my daily driver smile.gif
Demick
QUOTE(RobW @ Nov 1 2009, 10:31 AM) *

You live in So Cal. Why is the top up?

He has to put the top up to wash the car! Duh! biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.