Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ready for battle
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
bam914
Well after some late nights my car is just about ready for the ARRC (American Road Race of Champions). It is the Runoffs for regional SCCA racing. It is held at Road Atlanta. This will be my first year there in the 914. I have raced there 3 times in the sprint race and once in the 3 hour enduro which I won. I am really excited. There is going to be some really stiff competition there this year. There are 15 cars entered in my class.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
ChrisFoley
The car looks real good Blake.
Go Get-em!
URY914
Looks VERY nice. Good luck, be sure to report back after the race.
URY914
Give us some details: Engine, suspension set up, etc...
bam914
Thanks. I will have video and will do an update after the event.

The setup is 23 t-bars, Double adjustable front Konis, 350# rear with single adjustable Koni's, CFR Delrin bushings. custom Speedway swaybar in the front.
Only allowed 15x6 wheels. Running 205-50-15 Hoosiers.

The engine is a "stock" 2.0L. Everything in the engine is stock parts, including the valve springs and retainers. I am allowed .5 bump in compression and 1" match porting, Any intake and exhaust. I am running SDS fuel injection with the stock D-jet intake and throttle body. Engine currently makes 108 whp and 120 wtq. I have made a few more header changes and will be dynoing it again before the race.
JFJ914
Great job, Blake! Good luck Sat, I'm sorry that I can't be there to see victory.
neilca
Good Luck Blake!

You should have great weather all weekend.

neil
Heeltoe914
Nice car GL in your race.
Be safe
be smart
plan your moves
look three cars ahead
most of all dont lift!
bam914
Thanks.

I do not have enough power to not lift. I will be some what safe. May have to lay a fender or bumper on somebody. Ain't scared.
6freak
leave nothing on the track!!
Solo914
QUOTE(bam914 @ Nov 1 2009, 11:09 AM) *

Thanks. I will have video and will do an update after the event.

The setup is 23 t-bars, Double adjustable front Konis, 350# rear with single adjustable Koni's, CFR Delrin bushings. custom Speedway swaybar in the front.
Only allowed 15x6 wheels. Running 205-50-15 Hoosiers.

The engine is a "stock" 2.0L. Everything in the engine is stock parts, including the valve springs and retainers. I am allowed .5 bump in compression and 1" match porting, Any intake and exhaust. I am running SDS fuel injection with the stock D-jet intake and throttle body. Engine currently makes 108 whp and 120 wtq. I have made a few more header changes and will be dynoing it again before the race.

Wow, thanks for the info!! Looks like a great car! I am surprised with the engine numbers, what dyno did you use(Dynojet, Mustang, Dynodynamics etc)?

I race a spec miata and gotta be honest that I am REALLY jealous. Give em hell this weekend.

Kyle
HAM Inc
May have to lay a fender or bumper on somebody.

Wait...I didn't think there would be any H-Prod cars at the ARRC!LOL
FourBlades

Good luck Blake!

I love the paint scheme. That should be good for some intimidation.

John
bam914
The weekend did not go as well as I had wanted. Test day the car ran good, I worked on the handling some. The rear end is still unstable through some corners. I spun twice in turn 5. I did my best NASCAR impersonation when I floored it in reverse. Smoke was boiling off the rear tires as I went backwards. But it kept it off the tire wall. I qualified 5th for the race with a 1:49.1. The pole was a 1:46.2. I had a great start. I was able to move up to 4th going up the hill into turn 3. I held 4th for a couple of laps and then going through the turns 10a & b. The engine started to make noise and loose power. I also noticed some smoke in the cabin. So I shut it down and coasted off the track.

I had noticed the day before that the oil pressure guage was reading all over the place. It would go from 30# to 4# and anywhere in between. Jake and I looked at the oil and it appeared to be fine. Well I guess the gauge is correct. It looks like the main bearings went. Brad Penn oil is awesome then because it ran for a long time with very low oil pressure.

When the race was over we tried to start it. It fired right up and ran without any noise and the oil pressure gauge ready 5#. Later when I loaded it on the trailer the gauge ready 40#. So I have no idea what is going on. The engine will be coming apart in the next month or so to see what is going on. With some more suspension work an LSD and the short FD. I think I can get the 3 seconds I need to be up front.
popcorn[1].gif Blake....I hope this will help you .....What may have happened is the OIL PUMP drive shaft w/the tang, is turning,with the camshaft, but the OIL PUMP gear ,(on that shaft) when It gets HOT, expands and is loose on the shaft , ceases to be mated with the shaft. And the clearances of the oil pump gears maybe too tight/with each other/and fore and aft. This could explain good oil pressure when cold, and fluctions when hot. One of the solutions/and perment fixes to this problem is to machine a keyway in the shaft, and gear and naturally install a hardened steel "key." Some , but not all 356 porsches had factory oil pump gears made this way.....for your consideration. popcorn[1].gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.