Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 5 lug wedge bolt headache
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
barada
Literally.
I have a redrilled front end right now as my 5 lug set up. One day driving home I saw a 84 carrera convertable on the side of the road. Asked how much for the entire front end they say 350, I tell them its a deal and I will be back sat. Well they call me and the "real owner" said he had to get 700 for it. I wound up getting just the struts and brake assembly.
Now to the real question.
I had a terrible time getting the wedge bolt out of the original struts from the 914. I thought re installing would be a breeze, well it has not even been close. 3 hours yesterday beating on the bolt it is probably 75% in, still sticking out about 1/4 of an inch from being flush. I have heated it a couple of times but there must be a trick to driving them in in a shorter amount of time.
Car is a 74 914.
Any hints or do I keep wailing away with the 4lb hammer and drift?

Thanks
Phillip
JFJ914
STOP HAMMERING! The wedge pins can be distorted by too much hammering when removing, and most certainly are junk by now after all that hammering. Get some new ones and make sure they fit into the strut without beating on them. If not, determine what is not fitting. Also, make sure you you have "wedge" ball joints and not the half round "bolt" joints.
barada
QUOTE(John Jentz @ Nov 1 2009, 04:02 PM) *

STOP HAMMERING! The wedge pins can be distorted by too much hammering when removing, and most certainly are junk by now after all that hammering. Get some new ones and make sure they fit into the strut without beating on them. If not, determine what is not fitting. Also, make sure you you have "wedge" ball joints and not the half round "bolt" joints.

Removing them is not the issue going in is. With the strut off, the bolts seem like they are the exact size of the opening. Ball joints are the wedge type. Like I said they have went in far enough to get the nut on with probably 2.5 threads showing, but I can still feel a tiny bit of play so I assume they need to go in further. I would have ground the opening out a little but this part IMO is one of the most important parts when it come to fitting correctly as I don't want o have the front end drop while driving.
They are new by the way.
JFJ914
All I mean is if you've hammered on them as much as you've indicated, they could be "mushroomed" and will never fit. Did you line up the mark on the wedge with the "v" in the ball joint? Have you made sure the parts are rust free and clean? Are there any burrs that need smoothing? have you put some grease on the ball joint and pin so they can align? They do need to be tapped together, but they do not need to be "hammered". Where in Atlanta are you? PM me with your phone number and maybe I can talk you through it.
SLITS
It's called a "double taper pin" and if not lined up with the wedge cut in the ball joint it won't go in.
barada
Thanks guys, it is positioned correctly, but I am thinking the hole in the strut may have been a little dirty and I don't think I used enough lube to get it in. I am probably going to have to put the old strut back in anyway if I want to drive it as one of the calipers is acting frozen so a rebuild is in need. Money pit this project has been.
pcar9146guy
"Money pit this project has been."

Got jackstands????
Welcome to 914 land......
barada
QUOTE(pcar9146guy @ Nov 2 2009, 09:50 PM) *

"Money pit this project has been."

Got jackstands????
Welcome to 914 land......

Car came with them :*). I know it will be better when I am finished but I will have a stack of parts for this car almost all of which are related to suspension and 5 lug parts.
barada
Well Problem solved. This is the most bizzare dealing I have had in my 20 years with cars. The car was a 84 model convertible, vin showed it was #250 ,BUT it had struts from a pre 73 car. The strut requires the bolt not the wedge pin. The duh moment came when I got out the SC calipers and checked them and they have 3 inch spacing not 3.5. Oh well back on with the redrilled set up until I can land some different struts.
SLITS
Get a set of "M" calipers ... 3" spacing and new ball joints for the early cars.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.