Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My chafing problem
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
flipb
I'm still a relative newb - 7 weeks today with my '74 2.0. I knew of two problems that seemed easy enough to tackle in my engine bay. For one, my oil breather hose was vented over the rear firewall, directly over the heat exchangers - didn't seem like the best arrangment. And second, My original firewall insulation was falling apart and peeling off of the firewall.

Tonight, I went outside with a small plastic juice bottle (for the oil breather) and a box cutter to remove some of the looser sections of the firewall insulation. As I started cutting away at it, I realized that none of the clips were still holding, and it was easier to just rip the whole thing out in one piece. In the dumpster now.

Once I got the insulation out, had a much better view of the front half of the engine compartment. Started snapping photos - hellholes, firewall, etc. I noticed a hose hanging down (probably stuffed down there by the collapsing insulation) in front of the impeller.

When I pulled it up, it looked like this:
IPB Image

This hose connects to the small lead on the oil filler neck (shown below) and continues to exit near the hellhole on the driver's side.
IPB Image

It's probably been this way for some time and I've had no obvious problems. The engine is oily underneath, but I don't think it's related.

What is this hose? Where should it be routed or clipped so it doesn't fall back down in front of the impeller?

edited 9:03pm EST - changed thread title
flipb
Oh, and as you can see in one of the photos above, here's my oil breather. smile.gif
IPB Image
jsayre914
that hose goes to the vapor can on top of the fuel tank. its for the djet fi and it gets plugged into a socket fron passenger side of fan housing. not sure if you need it at all if you are running carbs
confused24.gif
underthetire
Mines not even hooked up and i'm using FI.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.