Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: So when you go to sell your Porsche
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ConeDodger
http://www.twincities.com/allheadlines/ci_...?nclick_check=1

Dentist was found dead and his Porsche seen being towed away on a flatbed...
john grier
Tried 4 times still cant see it
drive-ability
QUOTE(john grier @ Nov 1 2009, 08:34 PM) *

Tried 4 times still cant see it

I selected "open in new window" and it opened

That's a bad sale ar15.gif
Ferg
Had it happen here in Boulder a few years back, guy was a big dude too, 2 guys came to test drive his 911 that was on craigslist, shot him dead and took the car sad.gif
blitZ
I had someone ask me to meet them midway between our locations for a CL sale of a fish tank. Sounded a little creepy to me, so I went armed. There was no problem, fortunately. It pays to be cautious.
tat2dphreak
I had someone ask me to meet them midway between our locations for a CL sale of a fish tank. Sounded a little creepy to me, so I went armed. There was no problem, fortunately. It pays to be cautious.

agree.gif

I've had a lot of CL sales and they all seem to go like this.
1) I rarely go alone
2) always someplace public.
3) I'm packing (and usually whoever goes with me is, too)

never had an issue, hope I never do.
bfrymire
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Nov 1 2009, 06:47 PM) *

http://www.twincities.com/allheadlines/ci_...?nclick_check=1

Dentist was found dead and his Porsche seen being towed away on a flatbed...

Link didn't work for me either, so, I did a search on the twincities website, and found several articles, including one where they have a suspect in custody. (That would be good news.)

-- brett
Soul
Crappy story; kinda makes me think.

I buy and sell cars on CL all the time. I've never had a shaky experience but I guess I need to be prepared.

The hard part is, I live in California so the only "packing" I can legally do is lunch or for vacation.
jd74914
That's really sad.

I'm on a FSAE team, and lately a friend and I have bought a bunch of motorcycle engines off of CL. We always go with at least one other person because our experience has been the CL sellers in general are rather sketchy. That said, we are buying newer sport bike motors so the selling crowd seems to be boy racers in some depressed places.

The conclusion a few of us have drawn is that, unlike eBay, CL doesn't require a credit card to participate, so many people who cannot get one, or do not want to identify themselves can still sell. At least for the parts I have bought this seems to result in an odder deal.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(blitZ @ Nov 2 2009, 04:09 PM) *

Sounded a little creepy to me, so I went armed.

The hard part is, I live in California so the only "packing" I can legally do is lunch or for vacation.

I'm glad I live in Canada blink.gif
sean_v8_914
many fruit loops on CL
johannes
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Nov 3 2009, 04:53 AM) *

I'm glad I live in France ...
Homicides stats in 2000
USA 16000
France 430
Homicide rate for 100k inhabitants
USA 6,2
France 0,7
tat2dphreak
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Nov 3 2009, 06:53 AM) *

glad I'm in Tx too...

the expansion of the "castle law" means I don't even need a CHL(Concealed handgun license ) for this type of thing.

the main thing is a public place though. I refused to meet one guy because he insisted on a place that was basically an empty parking lot with no lights. ummm, no thanks.
Soul
QUOTE(tat2dphreak @ Nov 3 2009, 08:20 AM) *

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Nov 3 2009, 06:53 AM) *

glad I'm in Tx too...

the expansion of the "castle law" means I don't even need a CHL(Concealed handgun license ) for this type of thing.

the main thing is a public place though. I refused to meet one guy because he insisted on a place that was basically an empty parking lot with no lights. ummm, no thanks.

First time I went to Texas, I was amazed at how many ppl cary side-arms.
I just met with a guy last nght to buy my first 914. Nice guy (OG Owner). A Craigslist deal that could not have gone smoother......
zymurgist
QUOTE(johannes @ Nov 3 2009, 11:15 AM) *

Homicides stats in 2000
USA 16000
France 430
USA 6,2
France 0,7

I wonder how the US numbers would look if you took out the homicides associated with the drug trade (a problem of the government's own making, but that's another story).
SirAndy
QUOTE(johannes @ Nov 3 2009, 08:15 AM) *

Homicides stats in 2000
USA 16000
France 430
USA 6,2
France 0,7

I'm glad i live in Oakland. wacko.gif

The homicide rate for this city is about the same as the whole country of France. ar15.gif

With that said, going to meet a stranger alone in the middle of nowhere who knows you'll be schlepping around a wad of cash or a prized possession is just plain stupid.
In any country.
popcorn[1].gif Andy

PS: Let's see how quickly this thread will turn south ...
blitZ
QUOTE(johannes @ Nov 3 2009, 11:15 AM) *

Homicides stats in 2000
USA 16000
France 430
USA 6,2
France 0,7

In France, you just need to make a loud noise and the perpetrator will run away.
SirAndy
QUOTE(blitZ @ Nov 3 2009, 10:40 AM) *

In France, you just need to make a loud noise and the perpetrator will run away.

I thought that only worked if the one making the noise wasn't french ... biggrin.gif
Eric_Shea
Alaska>France in square K.

Alaska Murders<France at 28 in 07

biggrin.gif
flipb
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Nov 3 2009, 01:50 PM) *

Alaska>France in square K.

Alaska Murders<France at 28 in 07

biggrin.gif

Alaska population = 1% of France population

France > Alaska, measured by length of 914 driving season
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.