Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: AG Sail & Rollbar Vinyl - best replacement?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
Tom_T
It looks like I'll probably have to take off my original rollbar/sail vinyl to do may body resto/repaint. dry.gif

So who sells the best quality & closest to original leatherette/vinyl material recover kits???? confused24.gif

I've seen them at AA, PP, Pelican & Camp914 - sometimes with drastic price differences. blink.gif

So who offers the best one from the originality/CW perspective? confused24.gif poke.gif

...which is why it's posted here & not in the garage forums. popcorn[1].gif idea.gif
Porsche Rescue
I have seen/used Camp 914's product and it is indistinguishable from original in my opinion. And as I recall much less costly than other sources. Craig buys bulk roll and cuts it to pattern himself.
Tom_T
QUOTE(Porsche Rescue @ Nov 2 2009, 09:46 AM) *

I have seen/used Camp 914's product and it is indistinguishable from original in my opinion. And as I recall much less costly than other sources. Craig buys bulk roll and cuts it to pattern himself.

Do you have any comparison pix you could post Jim?

Yes - he's half or less than the others!

Does Camp914's hold up to weather & sun as well??
....er - well - weather then, you're in OR! shades.gif
Porsche Rescue
No pics and no longer own the car I installed it on. Not certain, but I suspect the product is the same from all vendors. Can't be too many manufacturers of pebble-grain black vinyl.
Pat Garvey
Got mine from AA in 1979. Know George still has them, but so does Stoddard, PP, etc. Not a tough part to find, byt check out the texture on any/all.
Pat
Tom_T
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Nov 2 2009, 06:53 PM) *

Got mine from AA in 1979. Know George still has them, but so does Stoddard, PP, etc. Not a tough part to find, byt check out the texture on any/all.
Pat

poke.gif Pat, that's what I was hoping - someone who's done it already could provide input on the closest texture matches & best durability in weather & sun fading??

Is the current AA product the same as yours & a good match? poke.gif confused24.gif

I won't ask about weather resistance & sun fade on yours, with it never seeing much outside since 79! biggrin.gif

BTW - how did the paint chip repair go?? confused24.gif

........My post - I'll go off topic if I want! shades.gif
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Nov 3 2009, 03:22 AM) *

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Nov 2 2009, 06:53 PM) *

Pat

poke.gif Pat, that's what I was hoping - someone who's done it already could provide input on the closest texture matches & best durability in weather & sun fading??

Is the current AA product the same as yours & a good match? poke.gif confused24.gif

I won't ask about weather resistance & sun fade on yours, with it never seeing much outside since 79! biggrin.gif

BTW - how did the paint chip repair go?? confused24.gif

........My post - I'll go off topic if I want! shades.gif

I can't speak to the current sail panel trim, but do know that the ones I bought years ago are dead on. George - you may want to step in here......

The paint chip is still there. Weather turned cold early, so I'm in a waiting pattern. Chip is cleaned out & treated w/alcohol, so it's just waiting for garage temps above 65 degrees.
Pat
Socalandy
Camp 914 kit I used is a dead ringer. Find a good polisher to make your trim look like new

Socalandy
aktion035.gif
Socalandy
Finished product biggrin.gif
Porsche Rescue
Beautiful. Like I said, Camp 914 product is the way to go.
Tom_T
QUOTE(Socalandy @ Nov 19 2009, 08:42 AM) *

Looks great Andy! biggrin.gif ...is that your 6 or 74 -4??
Tom_T
QUOTE(Socalandy @ Nov 19 2009, 08:42 AM) *

Since you're nearby, do you happen to have a bit of the excess trimmed material left that I can get to compare to the OE original material on my 914? confused24.gif
detoxcowboy
Tom, my painting has been put off until january but you can check my vinyl.
Socalandy
Tom,

It's looking like I'll make it out Sat. morning for the meet so I will bring you a sample to compare!!

The pictures are from my 72-4 resto and MAN!!!! do I wish I was that far along on the 6 car. lol-2.gif
914_teener
Hey Andy,

Did Al Reed do the trim? Man that looks great.

Rob
Socalandy
Only the center bar, the side pieces and Targa strips are NOS.
Eric_Shea
Ditto on the "Camp"

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Porsche Rescue
As featured in Exellence, and a mighty fine car too!
Tom_T
QUOTE(Socalandy @ Nov 20 2009, 06:54 AM) *

Tom,

It's looking like I'll make it out Sat. morning for the meet so I will bring you a sample to compare!!

The pictures are from my 72-4 resto and MAN!!!! do I wish I was that far along on the 6 car. lol-2.gif

Thanx for the ride & look over & chat about your 72 last Sat am Andy! biggrin.gif
Tom_T
WTF.gif
Okay folks, when Andy & I got together last Sat am at the local PCA doughnutz & Porsches, he was showing me how the Wurth adhesive he had used on his BEAUUUTIFUL 72 914 - had bubbled up under the sail/rollbar vinyl !!!!

Andy said he was thinking of redoing it with 3M Hi-Temp Adhesive, thinking it was due to our how SoCal sun......but, it that the right thing to use?

SO - what is the best & Proper adhesive to use under there???? confused24.gif

BTW - His gorgeous Fuchs 2L Alloys in the avatar pic are also a perfect Al Reed OE finish resto, sans the re-anodization afterwards! drooley.gif
Porsche Rescue
3M spray adhesive, I think the # is 8008. Others here will know better. They make a light duty and heavy duty. You want heavy.
Tom_T
QUOTE(Socalandy @ Nov 20 2009, 11:41 PM) *

Only the center bar, the side pieces and Targa strips are NOS.

Well, I finally got the stuff dug out in my garage around the ole 914 & was perusing it at the end of the day.....

...then I noticed that tha jackasses who finished the last paint job back in 80 had run the sander &/or buffer up over the bottom "tails" of the sail chrome trim where it meets the trunk, sanding it to bare metal at the edges & leaving f'ing swirls!!!! ...so I can't even polish them & have them look right!!! headbang.gif

So.....just how hard is it to find those sail & rollbar chrome trim pieces in NOS or VG-Excl which can be restored/polished like Andy did???? confused24.gif

>>>>& prices for same?? confused24.gif
Eric_Shea
As featured in Exellence, and a mighty fine car too!

Nope... this is yellow car #2 and sail vinyl job #2. Look at the flares. biggrin.gif

Thanks Though!!
Eric_Shea
Use 3M Super. Clean everything and follow the directions.

Click to view attachment
Porsche Rescue
You did another yellow car?
Eric_Shea

Doing - Present tense. biggrin.gif

This one I can do the way I want to without worrying about origina err... messing up a -6

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2057...mp;l=b421a958ac

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2113...mp;l=d147b32ef5

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2556...mp;l=3c26455147

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=3924...mp;l=7c2510bef5

Hope you have a couple of hours... LOL wink.gif
Porsche Rescue
Eric, only through the first and last batch so far. That is a fantastic bit of work. What happens when it's done? Sealed in a Mason Jar on Funk and Wagnel's porch for a hundred years? Truly beautiful.

Tom, if you want to see a craftsman lay down roll bar vinyl (Camp 914 variety), cruise through the last Facebook link.

Tom_T
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Dec 3 2009, 04:20 PM) *

Doing - Present tense. biggrin.gif

This one I can do the way I want to without worrying about origina err... messing up a -6
Hope you have a couple of hours... LOL wink.gif

pray.gif
Great 914-6/GT & great reference shots Eric!

It even gives me an idea of what you'll be doing on my brake calipers too! smile.gif

I see you worked in that rear fog light from prior posts, but......shhhhhh.....we won't tell Pat! laugh.gif

Hmmmmm.....I wonder if the High School behind me will let me use their field to soda blast my shell!!?? idea.gif ....oh such is city life! dry.gif
Eric_Shea
Thanks Guys!

No Mason jars for me. All my cars are drivers. Look for it to appear at a WCC or RRC near you. Maybe next Summer. I need to take the 2.5 out of the 911 and get it in the 914.

E.
Porsche Rescue
Which begs the question, what goes in the 911?
Eric_Shea
I'm building a 3.0 MFI motor off a 930/07 block.

Mild street motor that should have some "around-town" torque. All RS spec but 3.0. 9.5:1, 36mm Ports, S-Cams, etc. It should be around 240-250hp.

Can't wait.

The GT gets the 2.5 11:1 short stroke monster with a MSX box (X replaced with a ZA). Then the world will be in order. wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.