Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Drakes Discs
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Cire
I am looking for something like this to fill in all the holes I have on my 914. I was wondering if anyone has seen any other products like this? I dont know that I need 25 of each and I could use a few bigger than this.

Thanks all.

http://store.bobdrake.com/drakediscs.html

Click to view attachment
rjames
Maybe you can check with your local sheet metal supplier so you can form your own patches out of the correct guage steel. I was able to get a couple of 18 and 16 guage 3'x3' sheets in trade for a box of dougnuts for the morning crew. aktion035.gif They were able to give them away to me because they were just scrap pieces that came off of larger orders.
Spoke
I just buy steel sheets of the thickness I want. Mainly I pick up 18, 16, and 14 gauge steel from a local metal shop and make my own patches.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Cire @ Nov 2 2009, 01:17 PM) *

I am looking for something like this to fill in all the holes I have on my 914. I was wondering if anyone has seen any other products like this? I dont know that I need 25 of each and I could use a few bigger than this.

No experience with their products, but it would seem that finding a "standard" size hole on a metric car might be a challenge.

Do they sell a metric kit?
idea.gif Andy

PS: I like the idea of round weld in plugs. It's always a pain in the butt to get those cut right ...
zymurgist
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Nov 2 2009, 04:25 PM) *

No experience with their products, but it would seem that finding a "standard" size hole on a metric car might be a challenge.

If we're talking about irregularly shaped rust holes, could one use a hole saw to cut a nice round hole and then weld in the round piece?
Cire
QUOTE(zymurgist @ Nov 2 2009, 03:34 PM) *

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Nov 2 2009, 04:25 PM) *

If we're talking about irregularly shaped rust holes, could one use a hole saw to cut a nice round hole and then weld in the round piece?

Talking about the ones left from an AC unit that was removed or from side turn signals that were removed. = )

Why doesnt one of the shopes make one for metric cars? Not everyone has a nibbler or tools to do perfect circles. = )

Anyone interested in making me a few. I got 2 boxes of donuts for ya. = )

Eric
agentblr
I just finished filling all the a/c holes on my car last week.There were only 2 different size holes 24mm and 16mm. I used a scrap piece of the floor pan out of my parts hack,tin snips,hammer,and a bench grinder.Took me a bout an hour to make 12 plugs. welder.gif
Todd Enlund
QUOTE(zymurgist @ Nov 2 2009, 12:34 PM) *

Might be a challenge to use a hole saw if the pilot bit is in a rust hole smile.gif
zymurgist
QUOTE(Todd Enlund @ Nov 2 2009, 05:36 PM) *

Might be a challenge to use a hole saw if the pilot bit is in a rust hole smile.gif

Now that requires a sure and steady hand. biggrin.gif

But yeah, I forgot about that.
jhadler
QUOTE(zymurgist @ Nov 2 2009, 03:29 PM) *

QUOTE(Todd Enlund @ Nov 2 2009, 05:36 PM) *

Now that requires a sure and steady hand. biggrin.gif

But yeah, I forgot about that.

Step drill!

-Josh2
r_towle
Here is a simple way to make a hole larger with a hole saw when it may have a hole in the middle, or you dont have a pilot bit.

Take the hole saw to a drill press and drill a hole in a 2*4 all the way through. Think of this as a tool now, so make a straight hole in a short piece that you can hold or clamp to the part.

Now, center this over the new hole you want to drill, clamp it, or hold it firm. Use the same hole saw and the 2*4 keeps the hole saw from wandering around. You may want to use soap on the inside of the 2*4 to keep it from smoking.

RIch
aircooledtechguy
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Nov 2 2009, 01:25 PM) *

idea.gif Andy

lol-2.gif av-943.gif Thanks!! I needed that today. . .
underthetire
Use a Knock Out
http://www.mygreenlee.com/Products/main.sh...odb_next_page=1

of coarse HF has one cheaper

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/disp...temnumber=91201

I have the greenlee set. (used to do some electrical work) makes a nice hole. Everyone needs a nice hole.
SirAndy
QUOTE(aircooledtechguy @ Nov 2 2009, 04:56 PM) *

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Nov 2 2009, 01:25 PM) *

idea.gif Andy

lol-2.gif av-943.gif Thanks!! I needed that today. . .

Glad i could help! biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.