Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Anybody wanna help put my engine back in...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jsayre914
I will by beer, pretzels, women, whatever it takes. biggrin.gif

i have a 914 already in straddle position, a fully dressed 1.8 l-jet ready to go. a heated garage, with some led zepplin for motivation.

any takers?

driving.gif
ghuff
QUOTE(jsayre914 @ Nov 2 2009, 02:33 PM) *

I will by beer, pretzels, women, whatever it takes. biggrin.gif

i have a 914 already in straddle position, a fully dressed 1.8 l-jet ready to go. a heated garage, with some led zepplin for motivation.

any takers?

driving.gif

Do you have any mild hallucinogens?

chowtime.gif
jsayre914
YES !
smoke.gif
ghuff
QUOTE(jsayre914 @ Nov 2 2009, 02:38 PM) *

YES !
smoke.gif

If it were any night I was not working I think I could squeeze a quick roadtrip in to york!

I'm 1pm-11pm though with about a 40 minute commute to home, so my hours are off and that is a static sunday - wed schedule.

If you can wait a couple days and nobody else steps up I can totally come up!

Zach or Dr Evil perhaps? I know Zach has a munchkin and stuff.
zymurgist
If I didn't have a 15 year old dog waiting at home for me, I would take you up on it.

Travel outside of commuting to work is definitely curtailed these days for me.
ghuff
Yeah, I was thinking I could try and avoid it but i can't commute back and live on like 2 hours of sleep and stuff sad.gif

Thursday - sat at some point i can help if it is not done by then.
VaccaRabite
Wish I could get free tonight, but I can not. I've got class tonight, and my wife requires me to work on here car when I am not at the books this evening.

Zach
Dr Evil
No. School, work, leaving for KS tomorrow AM.
kenshapiro2002
I can help during the day, but need to be home by 2:15 for my Boo Boo.
IronHillRestorations
Sorry a bit too far.
type47
Friday?
Dr Evil
Sat? Late Fri?
kenshapiro2002
Again...if you're talking daytime, I can be up there by 9:00.

QUOTE(type47 @ Nov 2 2009, 10:14 PM) *

Friday?

jsayre914
thanks everybody, there is never enough time in a day.

Ken, i have the kids all day, school, grocery shopping, trip to the dump, raking leaves, and showings for my house when i cant even be home at all during the day. which envolves loading kids dogs etc,

daytime is almost impossible.

i will keep everyone updated. mabey tonight?? mabey tommorow??
confused24.gif

it will happen.
driving.gif

VaccaRabite
Joe, if you are around tonight I *may* be free. It all depends on what time Erin gets home, and if she is willing to watch Theo alone. I'd not be able to stay too long, but I could help get it up and in the car maybe. I'll call you later and see whats up.

Zach
kenshapiro2002
I could also be up in York by around 5:00 tonight (Tuesday) and stay a few hours.
VaccaRabite
I'm cleared to help tonight. I doubt I will be there before 6 though. I am guessing probably 6:30.
Zach
saigon71
Joe:

I can help out tonight if you need another set of hands. Never installed a type IV motor, but have removed/installed about 10 type 1 VW engines. I will be going through this myself in a few months. I will PM you my contact info.

Bob
jsayre914
i just had a solid hour to try. I manouverd the engine/tranny back onto the jack. that was a bitch. i then balanced it as best i could with a block of wood on the bottom for cushion. then i slid it under careful of the axles. inch by inch. then i gave a few pumps and checked e brake cable needed to move. few more pumps the fuel rails were not happining so i removed the 10mm retaining nuts and pulled the injectors out of the way. few more pumps and a little wiggiling side side back fourth...

it is in position smilie_pokal.gif

now i need to bolt it in and finish, fuel hookup, electrical hookup, ground strap, valve adjustment, heats back on, exhaust back on, battery back in, cvs hooked up. then...

we shall see.

anyone is welcome to come by after 6pm. i do apprecieat all the willings to help
beerchug.gif

give me a call 4 four 3 56 four six 6 two five. and let me know

thanks guys

joseph
kenshapiro2002
Love it...get brownie points for volunteering and you did it yourself! lol-2.gif
VaccaRabite
So, I should not bring my lifting plate and floor jack? Since I am free to come up, let me know what, if anything, I should bring from my shop.

Zach
VaccaRabite
Engine is in. As is the shifter bar.

CVs went on, but have to come back off again as the snap ring that secures the axle to the CV was appearently missing (which we found out when the axle slipped out of the CV after it was installed post-2-1117899824.gif and was just held in by the boot). It seems the DAPO that owned the car before Joe took some liberties with the CVs. When Joe bought it, it had no CV gaskets, and I bet neither of the axle snap rings either.

We were going to do a valve adjustment and get the exhaust on, but it took us a while to figure out what was going on with the CV. We were turning a wheel with the car in 5th and the other wheel stabilized, but the engine was not moving... I finally got under the car and watched the diff turn and not move the axle. I'm really glad that we caught this before Joe started driving the car again.

I drove my 914 over, it was chilly driving home - but worth it. smile.gif

Zach
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.