Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need help removing exhaust and plugging a hole for emissions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
x98boardwell
I am currently removing the exhaust on my 1975 2.0. I am replacing it with the 74 system and an aftermarket muffler. I have a few questions.

1) How do I remove the heat exchangers? It seems the engine support bar is in the way and would not let me lower the exhaust enough to clear the heads. What do I do here?

2) In the picture below, on my 75 I have an exhaust tube "emissions crap" that travels from the catalytic converter to my engine compartment and then attaches to some devices. Can I just plug this hole? What do I do with the other stuff inside the car?

The car is stock and I am running fuel injection. I will remove something as long as it does not affect the way the car runs. I have no interest in carburetors either... just trying to figure out the exhaust issue.

Thanks for all the help. I have included a picture of the car as well for the introduction and a picture of my other toy. The toy is in the next post.. I am having file size issues.

Bryan
x98boardwell
Here is the other toy. 87-930
r_towle
remove the jtube, flapper, and the piece that connects the HE to the main fan unit...do this on both sides.
Unbolt the muffler and remove it.
Unbolt the three bolts that hold the HE to the little header type manifold piece that bolts to the head..

Lower the HE and swing the rear of the HE towards the other side and it will eventially twist out...

Rich
tat2dphreak
the 930 is sweet! wub.gif smilie_pokal.gif
x98boardwell
Anyone with help on the tube in the picture? Do I just plug it or should I (can I) also remove some stuff from inside the engine bay that connected to that tube?

Thanks,
Bryan
Mark Henry
Is that coming from the smog pump? Tubes running into the head by the plug holes?

You can remove it (whole smog system removal) but you will have to plug the holes in the head. The tube part that goes into the head can be capped or welded shut.
x98boardwell
Does anyone have photos of these parts and the removal process?

Also, what effect will this have on my motor running normally? Will it affect it when it is cold, hot, general driving, etc.

Thanks,
Bryan
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(x98boardwell @ Nov 3 2009, 08:03 AM) *

Does anyone have photos of these parts and the removal process?

Also, what effect will this have on my motor running normally? Will it affect it when it is cold, hot, general driving, etc.

Thanks,
Bryan

That's the EGR pipe. Exhaust gasses are used to lower the combustion chamber temps. While this is generally good, Porsche decided to put it in AFTER the cat, making it possible for pieces a deteriorating cat to enter the cylinders. Many people will tell you to just plug it at the firewall. As a licensed shop in CA, we're not allowed to do that, ot to tell you to tell you to do that. You take it from there. Remember, however, to save all that smog stuff, because who can predict the whims of the ARB?

The Cap'n
jcd914
The tube in the picture is part of the EGR system. You can remove it and block it off or you can remove it and the stuff in the engine compartment. In the engine compartment the EGR system eventually connects to the intake and you will need to block that connection or you will have extra air entering with no fuel to go with it. Save all the stuff you take off in case CA starts requiring smog checks on older cars again, the bill keeps coming back again and again.
The EGR and Air Injection can be removed without hurting performance and drive-ability you just need to make sure you cap/block any vacuum lines, connections to the intakes and the air injection ports in the heads to the exhaust.
Very sweet 930, black is my favorite color for a 930.
What part of the Central Valley you in?

Jim

EDIT: As usual the Cap'n is spot on but I am no longer a Licenced Emissions inspector in CA so I can tell you that you can remove it.
x98boardwell
Cap'n, thanks for the help and I can appreciate your situation and understand why you cannot say anything.

Jim, I also appreciate the help. I guess that I will probably just plug that hole inside the engine compartment so I do not have to remove other stuff and just plug more holes in the process.

When I removed my exhaust (muffler and catalytic converter) I could hear what sounded like 2 cups of metal sand in the system... I wonder if that is the crap that would get into the motor. Very heavy as well... I was surprised.

I am located in Fresno. Thanks for the comments on the 930. I have spent the last 2 years restoring the car (original paint) along with a fully rebuilt motor. Now onto the next project. You will see a lot of me on here. I will be dropping the motor soon to do some 35 year maintanence on the car for reliability and safety.

Thanks for all the great help.
Bryan
x98boardwell
So everything is off. I ended up (as stated here) having to remove the exhaust portion at the heads before the heat exchangers would budge past the engine support bar. I included a picture of the exhaust and muffler assembly. it looks like it has an O2 sensor on there but no wire was attached. Otherwise they are in pretty good condition. I intend on keeping them so if CA. ever decides to bring back emissions I will be good.

Question, What would be the best way to plug that hole from the EGR valve? Is it under a lot of pressure? What would be sufficient and easy to use? Any thoughts here?

Thanks,
Bryan

x98boardwell
Here is the pic of the muffler.

zonedoubt
QUOTE(x98boardwell @ Nov 3 2009, 04:53 PM) *

it looks like it has an O2 sensor on there but no wire was attached.

That's the cat overheat sensor. It lights up the "CAT" light on the dash when the temp gets too high.
x98boardwell
Good to know.. thanks for clarifying.
Mark Henry
As I said....

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Nov 3 2009, 07:49 AM) *

You can remove it (whole smog system removal) but you will have to plug the holes in the head. The tube part that goes into the head can be capped or welded shut.

x98boardwell
Mark,

Thanks again for clarifying. I guess I was looking for what to use... I do not want to weld as I would like to be able to use this again if need be. What do I plug it with? Is this area under a lot of pressure?

What can I use? Does anyone have pics of what they did?

Bryan
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.