Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: "New" mid-engine 356
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jt914-6
I got my Autoweek a few days ago and they had an article on the VW Bluesport as being "a spiritual successor to the 914." OK, I can see that being mid-engine and all, but today I get an email from the Porsche Club of America with a link to a write up about the Bluesport. Now they are calling it (Bluesport) the "new 356". How can that be? Does anyone know of Porsche making a mid-engine 356? It sounds like the lowly 914 is getting disowned again..... sawzall-smiley.gif

http://www.motorauthority.com/blog/1037454...t-at-reborn-356
Cupomeat
QUOTE(jt914-6 @ Nov 3 2009, 06:08 PM) *

I got my Autoweek a few days ago and they had an article on the VW Bluesport as being "a spiritual successor to the 914." OK, I can see that being mid-engine and all, but today I get an email from the Porsche Club of America with a link to a write up about the Bluesport. Now they are calling it (Bluesport) the "new 356". How can that be? Does anyone know of Porsche making a mid-engine 356? It sounds like the lowly 914 is getting disowned again..... sawzall-smiley.gif

Yeah, I think it probably comes down to the look. If it was a targa, they'd say it was the "spritual successor to the 914" but as it a full convertible and a rather rounded body, I can see their point. Of course, they already did the 550 thing with the boxster so that is too close in people's memories.

I'd like to see it be made, no matter what the silly marketing people say.
tat2dphreak
I like em, but they still look like a TT to me.
r_towle
QUOTE(Cupomeat @ Nov 3 2009, 06:19 PM) *

QUOTE(jt914-6 @ Nov 3 2009, 06:08 PM) *

Yeah, I think it probably comes down to the look. If it was a targa, they'd say it was the "spritual successor to the 914" but as it a full convertible and a rather rounded body, I can see their point. Of course, they already did the 550 thing with the boxster so that is too close in people's memories.

I'd like to see it be made, no matter what the silly marketing people say.

Silly marketing people are the ones that guarantee that silly engineers have money to spend on projects.

Dave_Darling
Remember that the first 356 was mid-engine'd.

And had a massaged VW Type I motor and modified Bug suspension in it.

--DD
jt914-6
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Nov 3 2009, 05:55 PM) *

Remember that the first 356 was mid-engine'd.

And had a massaged VW Type I motor and modified Bug suspension in it.

--DD

OH, THAT'S the one they're talking about........ lol-2.gif
pcar916
I like the look of this new car and I don't car what they call it! beerchug.gif

Regardless of what some folks think of them, the 914 and Boxster both saved Porsche in very bad (for Porsche) economic times. Many of us own, or have owned more than one model. Porsche needs an entry level car to get people interested for the long haul. Frankly, their entry level isn't really all that cheap.

To me their lack of commitment to racing in GT-1 was very disappointing. I like the idea that my car is a race-bred machine... light, and with harness mounting points built in at the factory! But we competitors and track enthusiasts are a minority even in the Porsche community. But the ultimate scratch was to hear Porsche say out-loud that the Boxster was "never intended as a race car". Now that was a shame!

There are an awful lot of Porsche owners who are perfectly happy "wearing" the car and being seen in them. That's weird to me but hurray for whatever sells 'em!

Thanks goodness we have a community like this to play in no matter what. driving.gif
Cap'n Krusty
It is interesting to recall that the 356 was a pretty expensive car for its time. Like about the same as a Cadillac. Maybe THAT'S what they mean. The speedster, BTW, was a LOT cheaper than the coupes and cabbies.

The Cap'n
bandjoey
Today's email from PCA says 356. popcorn[1].gif
rick 918-S
It makes more sense for marketing to associate the new car with a legend and a car that now is in the stratosfer price wise. True, the 914 is a better example of a mid-engine but not nearly as close to the breast as the 356. Were gaining on the beetle
off-spring but were not there yet.
bandjoey
VW earnings fell 86% in the 3rd quarter. The 914 sales saved Porsche/vw. Mabey it's time for another Porsche to save VW.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/volkswgen...s-86-2009-10-29
carr914
I got the eMail from PCA too. I guess I have to say it's a 356, cuz we mean ZILCH to Porsche & PCA

T.C.
Jacob
When I first heard about the Blusport, they said it will have a diesel engine. Sporty little car, with great gas mileage. Sounds like my cup of tea.
jt914-6
And I thought that the 914 was falling back into good graces in the eyes of Porsche because of it's appearance of one in the "family tree" commerical for the Panamera..... unsure.gif
JmuRiz
QUOTE(bandjoey @ Nov 3 2009, 05:20 PM) *

Today's email from PCA says 356. popcorn[1].gif

That's because it's from Porsche club, not VW-Porsche club ;-)

I still say it's more like a new 914 than 356...besides, the shape of a 356 was/is WAY curvier...the engine layout, platform sharing with VW and shape of the car scream new 914, so that's what it is.

BTW 356 #1 is in a class of its own beer.gif
JmuRiz
QUOTE(carr914 @ Nov 3 2009, 05:31 PM) *

I got the eMail from PCA too. I guess I have to say it's a 356, cuz we mean ZILCH to Porsche & PCA

T.C.

Yeah, they may be pissed that 914s win the PCA autocross championships year after year too driving.gif
johannes
Put a VW diesel engine in a 911... That would be a 356 ...

laugh.gif
DNHunt
QUOTE(carr914 @ Nov 3 2009, 06:31 PM) *

T.C.

They can call it what they want, I really don't care. We will always be the bastards of a union between VW and Porsche. I kind of like being a NARP. Being the underdog appeals to me.

Besides by the time they get done with it, it's going to be too heavy, too complicated, and too expensive.

Dave
SGB
QUOTE(DNHunt @ Nov 4 2009, 02:38 PM) *

I kind of like being a NARP.

Dave

Yep. After all,, some of shit they say about "Porsh owners" is true.
tat2dphreak
Yep. After all,, some of shit they say about "Porsh owners" is true.

agree.gif
Brent
Anyone have pics of the original mid engined 356?
Todd Enlund
I was shown a book last night, something along the lines of "Porsche Motorsports: The First 50 Years"... there wasn't a single 914 in the book.
JmuRiz
QUOTE(Brent @ Nov 4 2009, 01:46 PM) *

IPB Image
Zundfolge
QUOTE(tat2dphreak @ Nov 3 2009, 04:37 PM) *

I like em, but they still look like a TT to me.

agree.gif

Frankly I like the look of the TT a little better (its at least unique). And you can go out and buy a TT today if you want.
carr914
After listening to the bitchin from 914World, Porsche has decided to make a new car for us bootyshake.gif

Click to view attachment
jt914-6
QUOTE(carr914 @ Nov 4 2009, 08:13 PM) *

After listening to the bitchin from 914World, Porsche has decided to make a new car for us bootyshake.gif

Click to view attachment

But is it a mid-engine?......... driving.gif
Brent
QUOTE(JmuRiz @ Nov 4 2009, 02:15 PM) *

IPB Image

Nice 356, but where is the deck lid for the engine? I know what a 356 looks like. headbang.gif
SECHSER
the infamous porsche 1!! pray.gif in my opinion, every porsche owner should know this car. well except for those owners of cayenne and panamera.. those are pretty much toyotas with porsche logos on to me.. sawzall-smiley.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJIT2EUnWRc...feature=related
SECHSER
QUOTE(Brent @ Nov 4 2009, 07:31 PM) *

QUOTE(JmuRiz @ Nov 4 2009, 02:15 PM) *

IPB Image

Nice 356, but where is the deck lid for the engine? I know what a 356 looks like. headbang.gif

http://cache-02.gawkerassets.com/assets/im...rsche_356-1.jpg
914junkie
I have a model of PORSCHE #1...it's my favorite one biggrin.gif popped the trunk and engine lid for ya. Sorry it's just my phone camera but it gets the point across.Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
KELTY360
QUOTE(carr914 @ Nov 4 2009, 07:13 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Hey, that's Not A Real Porsche. Hmmmm.... idea.gif
Brent
QUOTE(914junkie @ Nov 4 2009, 10:46 PM) *

I have a model of PORSCHE #1...it's my favorite one biggrin.gif popped the trunk and engine lid for ya. Sorry it's just my phone camera but it gets the point across.Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Thats what I was talking about, a picture showing the car with the mid engine layout, clearly.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.